Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland & The Far North Of England Regional Weather Chat

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

You might get attacked by up to ten wasps at a time, midges attack in multiples of 7.3million. People think Scotland is dull and cloudy, it's really the midgy swarms blocking out the sun.

At least we can be safe in the knowledge that we can start looking out for snow from next month onwards, only seven weeks until the hoping and praying starts for another season.

LOL! Midges sound a nightmare! Maybe you should invest in a flame thrower! :crazy: Do you get much snow in Scotland in October away from the Highlands? Surely an early cold snap will help rid Scotland of its plague of midges! You may even see the sun again!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

LOL! Midges sound a nightmare! Maybe you should invest in a flame thrower! :crazy: Do you get much snow in Scotland in October away from the Highlands? Surely an early cold snap will help rid Scotland of its plague of midges! You may even see the sun again!

The northerly incursion last month sorted the midges for about 10 days - it was bliss. They're back now though, and are really bad with this high pressure slacking around.  Damp woods at dawn and dusk...

Another interesting pest is the ked, aka deer fly. They're creepy little fks that scuttle around sideways when they land. They're quite clumsy so pretty easy to spot and brush off unless they get somewhere like the short hair on the back of your neck, when they'll suck blood without you being aware. I've heard they'll try to burrow in and lay eggs in you too but that's probably an old wives' tale, I think they only do that on deer. More creepy than a nuisance unless you get swarms of them, which can happen in a warm September.  Next week eh?

Some showers this morning, really heavy and abrupt. Ms HC cursing quietly, trying to deal with the washing. Better get off my @r5e I guess.

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

LOL! Midges sound a nightmare! Maybe you should invest in a flame thrower! :crazy:Do you get much snow in Scotland in October away from the Highlands? Surely an early cold snap will help rid Scotland of its plague of midges! You may even see the sun again!

I'm not really sure about past Octobers but I'm sure that snow does fall somewhere away from the Highlands. The only snow here I remember in October has been on the hills across the Clyde about 600-800m+. Not sure about anyone else. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

I'm not really sure about past Octobers but I'm sure that snow does fall somewhere away from the Highlands. The only snow here I remember in October has been on the hills across the Clyde about 600-800m+. Not sure about anyone else. :)

It snowed in London in October, I think it may have been 2008 or 2009! Very rare, it settled too as it came in over night!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Glorious day today, sunny, mild/warm and crystal blue skies, light winds :)

Posted

If the charts are right you may want to copy and paste this post, and simply pop it into the thread for the next several days or longer :)

Let's hope so. Nights becoming cool as well... Lovely

Posted

Much cooler with a  fair bit of rain these last three  days. A maximum of 11c today with a fresh NW wind.At least the midges have gone. A real autumn feel about it

Edited by Northernlights

Posted

What a difference 200 miles makes. It has been lovely down here and more to come by the looks of it.

SWS: September can be a gorgeous month when it's like it's been for us...I love this type of weather.

Very true. The Atlantic is usually very quiet at this time of year.

Perhaps it's an exaggeration to suggest there is a real difference between the real north and here near the border in sun strength but it does still seem like late summer here.

For example, Brighton is usually a couple weeks ahead in say spring time with regard to cherry blossom, daffodils etc.

I can no longer get burnt now so it's great :)

Reached 19.8c yesterday and it's another sparkling start to the day. A cool 6c start mind but that has long gone...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

The Sky was unbelievably clear last night with the moon in full show lighting up the sky. Was a chilly 2C to start, currently 14.5C with hazy sunshine, really loving the early Autumnal weather. :):good:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Well it's breezy with sunny spells through the broken cloud here today. Saturday was mostly a disappointment as I got soaked watching eldest son playing football, real heavy stuff that came in at such an angle that the large umbrella was next to useless. I didn't notice much of Sunday's weather as I was nursing a cold indoors all day (started before Saturdays soaking but probably not helped by it).

One thing I have noticed is that the countryside around here has started to take on an autumnal tinge of brown and yellow. Winter is coming.

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 1

Posted

Aye, there's a noticeable tinge on the trees. More so when I visited my parents' up in Kilmacolm, they seem to be a week or two ahead over there.

Yes a lot of Autumn colours appearing here too.I think the trees and plants have exhausted themselves after a very long sucessful (in terms of growth) season and are looking to shut down.  Yes it does look like late September in the countryside up here as well. Dry and overcast here with a cool west wind and currently 13.5c

Posted

Aye, there's a noticeable tinge on the trees. More so when I visited my parents' up in Kilmacolm, they seem to be a week or two ahead over there.

Ive noticed that too, most if not all trees are turning already.

Posted

Yes, and the fruit trees are ripening a good 2 weeks earlier than usual.  Nice... plums are looking pink & plentiful.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Yes, and the fruit trees are ripening a good 2 weeks earlier than usual.  Nice... plums are looking pink & plentiful.

Aye, ah admire a man that's proud of his ample Plums HC.

It just show what a decent Summer and early Autumn can do for your soft fruits eh!

Big Innes

Edited by Big Innes Madori
  • Like 3

Posted

Its been a really good September day, sunny with a high of 18C. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

What classic lovely Autumn/summer weather, long may it last. Lifts the spirit! Great to see the fields in full harvest and the tractors out ploughing, so different to some recent years!

Posted

Exceeded 20C for the first time in a while today, sky is virtually clear.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Temp up to 20c here today with wall to wall sunshine. Braw!

Posted

Aye, ah admire a man that's proud of his ample Plums HC.

It just show what a decent Summer and early Autumn can do for your soft fruits eh!

Big Innes

FFks sake anyone want a go on me plums? :shok:

Nice n warm here too, perfect fkn midge weather, plus squadrillions of keds. A decent low overnight temp would be a nice plus...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Fantastic day. Out harvesting autumn rasps and brambles. Perfect day!! Sun shone no wind and a lovely evening.

Posted

Look away now BUS... :ninja:

Late summer means lots of spider webs on the grass in woods and unimproved grasslands - this picture was this morning before the sun dried off the dew.

Later, it was a splendid day, various wispy clouds but in general warm and sunny :D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Morning, all! :) (oh look, it was morning when I started trying to wrestle my internet glitches into submission!)

Bit of news - I'll only be in here til the end of November, and then I'm moving. Yep, fleeing the country (not connected with next Thursday, honest guv!) to go and live with my other half in Shropshire… so I'll have to take my knitting and woollie jumpers to the Midlands thread, where there won't be kilts…!

Gonnae be strange. Been following the weather for almost a year there in preparation - seems the winters are a bit frostier there than Suburban Sth Embra, and the summers are a bit warmer and sunnier. O/H reckons on a bit more snow than Embra ( our Big Freeze excepted!) - most years a few flurries, every 2-3 years quite a few inches lying, and plenty of places within a short drive with reliable snaw! Oops, I mean snow. 

Returning to the land of my birth, but not a country I know well. I'll drop in and send you envious postcards when you get the January from Heaven in 2015! :)

And, of course, if someone can organise for November to be seriously cold and snawy here for me as a farewell present, that'd be grand! 

Edited by BleakMidwinter

Posted

The big flit starts with a BMW...

No Northern Lights here tonight, the haar's rolled in big time. Shame.

Snap :angry: Thought it was going to clear but just got thicker in last 2 hours

• Like 1

Posted

Don't think the Northern Lights will make a show here because of street lights but you never know.

Actually, the mist/fog hasn't really cleared all day and its thickening a little now so chances are slim.

Edited by Ross Andrew Hemphill