Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland & The Far North Of England Regional Weather Chat

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

4.8C at Gogarbank, very chilly feel out there after a classic few days of Edinburgh standard rain (always threatening but never really getting going for long periods). Lorenzo's update on the Snow Advance Index is very interesting - coupled with an OPI which is likely to come in under -2 it's going to make for a winter where either we end up buried in snow, incredibly unlucky or busting quite a few highly credible hypotheses on predicting Northern Hemisphere winters https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/81111-snow-and-ice-in-the-northern-hemisphere-autumnwinter-2014/page-26#entry3061240

• Like 1

Posted

I was more than pleased to see the clear, cirrostratus back end of the system which has brought never ending unpleasant autumn weather. It was followed by much better clearer, cooler and brighter conditions and there was a nice sunset/dusk with shades/tones and light leaning towards winter-looking with weaker and lower sunlight.

The Scottish mean temperature for November is 4.3c and I predict a value of 5.1C.

The past couple of Novembers have been quite chilly - with chilly, blustery autumn conditions in the first week followed by drier and more traditional winter cold snaps later in the month. Despite it being chilly tonight it does not feel like a period of chilly autumn weather is upon us after what has so far been a mild winter but I'm sure as November goes on it will gradually continue to cool down with some frosts and traditional late autumn weather and hopefully the first wintry weather of the season. I suspect the wet and changeable Atlantic and traditional autumn weather will continue into the first part of the month and will probably persist throughout November but I'm hopeful we will have a shot at a northerly sometime around or after mid month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Only a dedicated snow and cold lover would understand.

Got my winters fitted on Monday.

It's like the big man upstairs knew and... Gairden lovely and white first thing.

Now 2 °C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

No frost here, which was a surprise. Overnight min hit 0.6C but its currently 4.8C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning peeps! The sun is just about up ( yes, that's right, I did say the sun! ) and it looks good for another clear, dry day. Washing machine loaded up and will have it's little butt worked off today!

Edited by mistyqueen

Posted

Overnight low of 2.3c here in Crail, the lowest of the Autumn thus far by some way. 1.7c at Leuchars.

Posted

I seen that weird thing called frost earlier this morning. :cold: Won't be seeing that this weekend as I heading down south later today (potentally to the warmest halloween day on record and maybe the warmest november day on record who knows)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Great to see a frost on the ground here in Dunfermline this morning, a real nip to the air. models are starting to look good for this winter too, still early but already much better than last years dreadful winter.

Posted

Nippy but nice here in Glenrothes. Our first real overnight frost with sparkly bits on all the bin lids. Sun is out now, frost is away and the wind has died. Lovely morning!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

It's a shame the mild air is due to return tonight.

After a low of -0.8c last night, today has been completely clear and sunny. Despite only reading 8.9c as a max today, in the sun around 1 o'clock most people were just in late summer clothes. Just a t-shirt needed but now it's a chilly 7.1c with the sun long fallen behind the hill.

Would be a cold night tonight if I weren't for the incoming cloud and rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Potential for snow as early as Tuesday as a northerly/northwesterly hits. I've been monitoring this for a bit and it's upgraded significantly over the last 24 hours. UKMO:

UW144-21.GIF?29-17

The localised westerly flow and feature sitting over the Western Isles would make it quite an interesting one to watch, but the details are far from pinned down yet.

GFS (old one, its replacement is now up and running as well and will take over by December):

gfs-0-144.png?12

Everything a bit further east on this one but you can see a feature developing over the west of Scotland which gets dragged southwards in the flow, bringing snow pretty widely:

138-779UK.GIF?29-12

144-779UK.GIF?29-12

Maxima on Tuesday could be a real shock to the system as well with 5C at absolute most for northern coasts and 2-3C inland:

144-778UK.GIF?29-12

150-778UK.GIF?29-12

New GFS the most disappointing of the 3, with upper air temperatures not quite as low as on the GFS or, I reckon, the UKMO:

gfs-0-144.png?12

• Like 4

Posted

I think it's now time... to officially declare the crazy season of will it /won't it rollercoaster of snow has finally begun!!!

P. S I'm with you CMD on the boring East coast light rain thing! Even from Ayrshire to West Lothian I feel a huge difference so I imagine you feel it worse!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

I'll be quite sad to see those from northern England go as the activity in the Scottish thread begins to increase dramatically for the winter.

I would never normally say this but #BetterTogether

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever is happening but partial to a snow drift

Snow dusted tops down the Great Glen on to the Grey Corries, over the Ben and the Mamores this morning, a beautiful sight driving into work with mist blanketing the glen floor.  It surely was a shortbread tin moment.  However within minutes of arriving at work the whole awesomeness was cocooned in cloud...typical  :cray: There was still a bit of snow left when I came out tonight too, shame it will be gone by tomorrow but it was nice to see.  Time to dust off the snowboard.

Posted

Ok, LSS is postin snaw charts and it's already down to 2.7 C oot after a frost the morn.

Let the games begin.

I would never normally say this but #BetterTogether

#WetterTogether

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 2

Posted

Cold here this evening at 2c after a fine sunny crisp autumn day.Loggers nearly finished on burn bank so thought I would grab a couple of photos winching logs.post-2744-0-50719300-1414620397_thumb.jppost-2744-0-95952300-1414620415_thumb.jp These machines are absolutely fascinating to watch as they harvest tens of tons of logs in minutes.  Our field has been a bit chewed up but will be reinstated in the spring when the ground dries again

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 2

Posted

Snow charts? Pah. Mild, grey and drizzly here this morning, yuck!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Cool and foggy sums today up. Currently 9.8C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Snow charts from LS.... Im in......officially netweather now becomes an everyday part of normal life for a few months.... Not sure ready to read the model thread though

• Like 1

Posted

Well, looks like it's a case of enjoy the mild blip before more seasonal temps kick in.

t850Midlothian.png

• Like 2

Posted

Certainly mild this morning, the overnight min at Prestwick was 14.6c. The average October max for Prestwick is 13c.

We may manage 18c in NE Fife this afternoon....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

It was 6'C, overcast and a bit chilly at about 9:30 last night, woke up to 15'C, quite the change overnight!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

A balmy 16.2c. The expected drizzle has failed to materialise.

It feels like (an I hope we so get a cold winter) we are being lulled into a false sense of security.

Fingers crossed

Posted

Temperature seems to have maxed out at 14.9C in Dyce so for us it's not even the warmest day of this week (16C on Tuesday). Pretty unremarkable day other than the mild temperature, being kind of cloudy, kind of breezy and kind of dry. Bring on the "seasonal temps" SS is promising.