Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland & The Far North Of England Regional Weather Chat

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

14.8C with sunny spells. Can definitely feel the cooler air this week but its great, the autumnal feeling in the air makes me think that snow is only a few months away!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Another day of heavy, slow-moving showers in the north - got my own ice bucket thanks very much.  August is already the wettest month for 3 years at a site I monitor. 

The remaining potatoes and onions are going to get lifted this weekend to preclude them rotting away.  Got the stove going at home tonight.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Nice day today. The last 10 or so days have all been 'April shower'days. Today had two very heavy short showers and then long sunshine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

It's felt like April with bits of October mixed in since the last of the really fine heat dissolved away.

TBH that trough hasn't messed around and really kicked in with the timing such a stark contrast to what went before. 

Caught this leaving work yesterday, a real thing of beauty..

post-7292-0-15719900-1408739984_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Posted

Found one...

Look closely and here one of our first negative temp projections...

post-7292-0-87533600-1408778345_thumb.gi

:cold:

Aaah that feels better :)

• Like 4

Posted

Thought I would provide a considerable upgrade to the storm pic from Thursday evening.

Courtesy of Grant at RealEdinburgh fbook page https://www.facebook.com/RealEdinburgh

Also more images of Auld Reekie here http://www.realedinburgh.co.uk/blog/

Really is one of the best photographers of this area, stunning work.

post-7292-0-32093500-1408782491_thumb.pn

Edited by lorenzo
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Lovely weather; mostly days with sunshine and highs in the mid-teens, and lows between 6-8c. Tonight looks really nippy as well, touch of frost in isolated glens?

Posted

Not too bad a day, I was near gleneagles this morning and caught a sharp but brief shower. Otherwise some sunny intervals mixed in with the cloud cover. Touched 17c in Leuchars this afternoon. Mean max temp for August is running at 18c compared to 20.7c in July.

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

saw this and thought it looked cool 

post-18233-0-86684500-1408830705_thumb.j

NASA's Aqua satellite caught an arresting image of a strange, enormous weather system off the coast of Tasmania June 5, featuring a cloud hole wider than 620 miles (1,000 kilometers) at one point.Analysis by NASA scientists found that the hole was caused by sinking air associated with a high pressure system off the surface of the Great Australian Bight, a huge bay to the continent's south. The oval-shaped hole was cut out from a blanket of marine stratocumulus clouds. 

hopefully we will see a big cold blocking high like that this winter with snow showers feeding round it a little while yet though till we find out

Edited by Buriedundersnow

Posted

Blocking you say BUS...

This reconstructed SST driven analog has been going nuts for Northern Blocking all summer long...

May / June / July

post-7292-0-85787600-1408832102_thumb.gipost-7292-0-27617000-1408832102_thumb.gipost-7292-0-71404800-1408832101_thumb.gi

Not re-analysed the success of this dataset yet so for the meanwhile will award it's output one of these..

post-7292-0-60134900-1408832237_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

Blocking you say BUS...

This reconstructed SST driven analog has been going nuts for Northern Blocking all summer long...

May / June / July

http:////f1.nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_images/tctc91_simplify/attachicon.gifMay.gifhttp:////f1.nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_images/tctc91_simplify/attachicon.gifJune.gifhttp:////f1.nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_images/tctc91_simplify/attachicon.gifJuly.gif

Not re-analysed the success of this dataset yet so for the meanwhile will award it's output one of these..

http:////f1.nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_images/tctc91_simplify/attachicon.gif502be095ef1f8.jpg

I'm no gonna get my hopes up after last winter everything looked great in the run up and it was a stormfest

something a bit closer in the future to keep an eye on is this developing hurricane in the states the GFS doesn't do much with it but at day 10 the ECM has a deep low in mid atlantic

post-18233-0-30471500-1408843989_thumb.g

stole these from twitter off ryan maue and it shows the ECM has the system still tropical I wonder if we can see bawbag take 2.

post-18233-0-34462600-1408843985_thumb.ppost-18233-0-52451500-1408843988_thumb.p

• Like 1

Posted

Missed this story earlier in the week... 

Glaciers in Scotland...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-28885119

This calls for a slightly larger one of these...

post-7292-0-99243900-1408879946_thumb.jp

Posted

Gosh I know one of those guys but I didn't know that's what he was up to, I thought he'd got sidelined into something boring!  I shall be up in a high north-facing corrie in NW highlands this week on a mission so will keep my eye open for more. As well as montane midges...

Posted

Clear skies, currently 3c and a grass frost.    One of the coldest August mornings I have seen here.The runner beans look droopy!!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Chilly start to the day here too this morning. As I went out to the car at 8am it was a lovely sunny blue sky morning but only around 4C. The weekend wasn't too bad overall. A few heavy slow-moving showers on Saturday afternoon but other than that it was relatively dry, sunny and coolish.

Posted

Exceptionally chilly last night with a low of 1c. It's been a pretty chilly and autumnal end to what has been a very decent summer, but at least it has been largely dry and bright and it's nice to have that autumn feel in the air for the first time this season.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Guess what's going to hit us??

post-21143-0-54925700-1408984226_thumb.p

Posted

A dinosaur from outer space, it'll wipe out all the meteors?

Erm, something wet and windy?

A Darling's toys after this evening's show. (Sorry)

Rain, possibly sometime in the next 6 months?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Woke up to an overnight low of just 0.1C and a ground frost yesterday morning followed by a mainly cloudy day.The forecast overnight low was a fair bit higher but it was reasonably still with clear skies which must have helped nudge it down. Definitely frost hollow potential for the forthcoming months, methinks.Veggies appear not to have taken too much of a hit which is a bonus. Much milder last night (min 10.2) due to cloud cover and this morning is decentish so far - dry with bits 'n' pieces of sunshine here and there. Will take that and *bank*.

• Like 1

Posted

Best day in quite a while here. It's not warm (currently 15c) because of the easterly breeze but there's abundant sunshine!

• Like 1

Posted

Last couple of days have been stunning.  Another good one tomorrow then a wet interlude on Thursday before more sun.

Unfortunately the cold nights have taken their toll on some plants... no more courgettes or funny wee dwarf beans for example.  However the brassicas are all doing well again.

• Like 1

Posted

Frosty this morning, although it had mostly burned off by the time I left. Edinburgh and Glasgow both getting down to 1c last night so wouldn't have been surprised if we had an air frost here last night. Just wrong in August...We've probably had more frosts this August than last winter! Not long until lamppost watching begins...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Just looking on the model thread page, looking good for high pressure to set in from the end of this week, not certain how Scotland will fare in this though, all depends on the orientation I suppose. It seems that we could get a quite cloudy setup as air may come from off the Atlantic! Please shoot me down in flames if I have this wrong, would appreciate input from the more experienced of my scottish forum buddies.

post-16399-0-08332400-1409135774_thumb.g

Edited by tempestwatch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Been a great few days. Progressively warmer since the weekend. Yesterday reached 19.2c and today 20.8c despite a strong breeze. Very sunny.

Hopefully that Atlantic storm predicted for a few days time will track north of the UK (as predicted currently) and we get a late summery spell in early September. 22-25c would be perfect weather for the end of summer.

Amazing how many Septembers, recently, have been warmer than August or certainly had better weather conditions

Edited by SW Saltire