Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland & The Far North Of England Regional Weather Chat

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on...(hope you like/have watched Father Ted). Nah, don't bother, there's a time and place for weather and a time and place for politics...and now's not the time and place to explain where one starts and the other stops. I would say that mardatha's idea of nabbing London's weather has some merit, although perhaps only between May and September (inclusive ha ha)!!! Why settle for taking London's weather? Why not settle for similar weather to northern Italy in summer time, hot most of the time with some immense thunder storms?

Haha, yes I have.I was never going to anyway. I already have been close to making the climate thread(s) becoming one again and starting the whole debate again. So I don't want to de-rail another. Anyway, the polls are looking good so why should I bother...just kidding (launches the bait)IMO, an average of 21c is pretty perfect (especially once you exclude wet days) so if it's wet 18-19c, I it's dry then your at least 23-24c.I was in Nortern Italy in early September and even then the strong was still pretty ferocious and it was in the high twenties/30c. So July would be rather hot. I've been in 45c, in a massive heatwave in Greece and it was pretty unpleasant unless you were almost constantly submerged in the sea

Posted

I do like thunderstorms to be honest. I always sleep through them on holiday haha. I remember Florida having some big ones when I was there and hurricane Catriona hit me in the Carribean (was in the BVI so it was not even Cat 1 when it hit but still power lines were down very windy, wet etc).

Quite worrying watching the news when obviously they had no clue when it would deepen and tere was a chance it could have been a direct hit and been stronger when it hit here I was.

Posted

Nice sunset NL. A bit cloudy here for that and as a result I notice it's got dark pretty early. We are certainly a step away from the real twilight of just over 2 weeks ago :(

Still plenty of summer left so that's good but the first signs of dark growing stronger are apparent here

Posted

Ongoing glow to the north still fantastic with the beginings of a noctillucent  cloud rippling behind the dark clouds lighting up the sky above the red glow to the north.post-2744-0-61472000-1404774248_thumb.jp

Posted

Amazingly despite seemingly all the rain/thunder that's around we're dry here but quite literaly only just. If I was to go a few miles east maybe it would be wet but no it's bone dry here

Posted

Clouded in a little after a lovely sunny start but really quite warm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

post-1989-0-35664700-1404906900_thumb.jpLovely here today. Currently 22.7c.

Apparently this ropey little funnel cloud below, appeared over Benarty Hill on June 23rd.

Pleased to see that the models are predicting some possible heat for my holiday destination (Kent). I am offski Saturday morning for 5 weeks but have no fear, laptop going too so will be able to keep you all updated and drooling. ( Or maybe not!) :unknw:

Managed to get suitable mobile wifi Catch, so won't have to pack the pigeons! :D

post-1989-0-18750300-1404907032_thumb.jp

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

Posted

One of the best days of the summer so far with long sunny spells. Temp hit 21c at Midday but then the sea breeze kicked in, 19c at 1pm.

Unfortunately I suspect we'll be seeing some haar by the weekend.

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

currently 24c here with some good sunshine and just a few clouds floating about and really feeling warm.

from the looks of the forecasts and the models we might not get our easterly push and the heat it would bring as it barely looks to get in before its shoved off back into the continent although we will wait and see how it plays out I'm not sure about how summer month work compared to winter months but during winter these highs over Scandinavia can tend to be more stubborn than the models make out hopefully it will be the same this time but up till now its not looking too good for a lengthy warm dry spell at least we will get a few days and maybe some thunder and lightning to go with it.

Edited by Buriedundersnow

Posted

Haven't been on here in a while, been away past couple weeks but got back earlier in the week. I was awoken yesterday morning to thunder booming into my house at around 9am, thought i was still at the campsite and a truck was driving past or something i was that confused! Then a big flash and more thunder, though I think Shields got the brunt of the storm with some flash flooding occurring in prone spots.

One of those booms of thunder would have been where a house was hit in Hebburn, must have been a hell of a fright for the owners! 

post-8771-0-90582300-1404919958_thumb.jp

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/local-news/hebburn-house-struck-by-lightning-1-6717257

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

heres how the weather stations I check saw it today  

STIRLING : 24.3c

POLMONT : 25.3C

FALKIRK : 26.7c

pretty warm day and nice and dry hopefully another round tomorrow

Posted

Lovely day at Auchinleck today. I'd say (at a guess) yesterday reached 20c there with a strong breeze but also strong sunshine in the afternoon.

Today was almost completely sunny, at Auchinleck if say it was about 21/22c as quite windy. Much less windy at home (as always) and thus it reached a little over 24c. Great day to be outside :)

Posted

Fantastic day with blue skies, sunshine and a moderate NE wind and a top temperature of 21c this afternoon.Secured some good hay today after a showery few days and young Mr. Northernlights  has just finished taking it in to the sheds (small bales of hay) Forecast for tomorrow is sea fog lapping the coast so they have to come as freshly baled they are just like sponges.

Posted

That's good NL. For those farmers looking for a second cut the grass has suddenly taken off again.

Yes, Catch. Glorious start here today and today and Tuesday are both forecasted to reach 22c so you can add probably 2c on that at least if it's totally sunny.

We just need a little rain to stop the ground from becoming solid

Posted

We're fine for watering at the moment after Tuesday, it rained fairly moderately here :) Perhaps others will disagree with the assessment of summer, I think you and I have enjoyed the best of the weather?

Plant growth has just been explosive here in the last 6 weeks with an ideal mixture of heavy showers and very warm strong humid sunshine.  I suspect also background CO2 levels are also helping. I have never seen such thick heavy crops of grass or spring barley which is coming over the tops of the fences!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Wall to wall sunshine and brilliant blue skies here this morning, touch over 16'C so it's going to warm up to be a very nice day. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Blimey, and another one! almost 21c here and wall to wall sunshine. I'm sure BBC a couple of days ago had us covered with heavy/persistent rain in the east which didn't/hasn't materialised?

post-1989-0-75518500-1404986884_thumb.jp

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

We're fine for watering at the moment after Tuesday, it rained fairly moderately here :) Perhaps others will disagree with the assessment of summer, I think you and I have enjoyed the best of the weather

We had nothing on Tuesday (reverse of last Friday remember when you got none and I got loads- ie easterly It struggles to reach me, westerly struggles to reach you)Friday ha loads of rain but it was too much too quick and absorption probably wasn't as good as a couple f days with heavy showers...We are in the south of the country so in theory should experience warmer weather (not necessarily drier for me anyway). If te Yorkshire dales and Cumbrian fells etc were removed you'd see a gradual warmer summer picture the further south you went until the south coast of England. Also, yes I do accept for those in the North-East or some other areas have not had such a good summer. Also, down south hasn't either. However, for a large section of Scotland we have already had at least 1 >25c day and I've had 4. With many days in the 22-25 Range (above normal amounts) and almost all days being 18-22 or better. Only maybe 1 or so sub 17c days since late May.

Posted

Cloud is bubbling up a little now (similair to yesterday) but it's another ripper out there

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Also, yes I do accept for those in the North-East or some other areas have not had such a good summer. Also, down south hasn't either. However, for a large section of Scotland we have already had at least 1 >25c day and I've had 4. With many days in the 22-25 Range (above normal amounts) and almost all days being 18-22 or better. Only maybe 1 or so sub 17c days since late May.

Absolutely no complaints here, been a lovely summer thus far - only complaint is that I've sometimes had to water the plants twice a day, very little rain (even compared to normal), long sunny spells and a dry wind has meant the soil is drying out quite readily. 

Just hit 21'C in the garden, Dalcross recording 17'C so a fair bit lower than inland as always.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Lovely day in East Lothian, and I can see the Cirrus out east in the North Sea

• Like 1

Posted

Blimey, and another one! almost 21c here and wall to wall sunshine. I'm sure BBC a couple of days ago had us covered with heavy/persistent rain in the east which didn't/hasn't materialised?

Yes the forecast was grim at one point but the front ended up stalling to our east. Lovely here again although the onshore breeze is more pronounced than yesterday so the air temp is currently only 16c. Very pleasant in the bright sunshine though.

In terms of summer to date it's been so-so thus far in NE Fife - not as good as last year, and June came in well under average in terms of sunshine hours - but a lot better than the horrors of 2007-12. I was lucky to be on the west coast for that great week in June.

• Like 1