Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland & The Far North Of England Regional Weather Chat

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Thanks BUS, bar hill is reasonably close. Correct height and side of town.

Posted

Morning all,

Cloudy and grey start to the day, should brighten up later.

I must admit this is the time of year I enjoy the Scottish climate least. Even living in the statistically sunniest part of the country the number of cloudy days with highs stuck in the teens gets to me. Never used to bother me when I was younger but now I crave a climate where warm sunshine and the mid twenties were the norm in summer, not the exception.

Probably comes from having spent significant time in Toronto.

I'll stop my moaning, must have got out of the wrong side of bed this morning. Satellite shows much clearer skies moving steadily west to east!

Posted

Hawesy - I mainly agree. Tbh, my summer temperatures are almost good enough for me. We don't get the dreaded sea haar so temperatures are always at least 15c on a bad day (Max)

Somewhere like Heathrow would be great (average max around 21c - warmest in the UK)

After a week of 25+ I find it a bit much and want a few dys break and ten it can come back.

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

I'm not sure how deep the snow was in the south-west, out west it was only bad at moderate altitude. It was hard to tell the level depth in Kilmacolm, it was over knee deep in all places but other parts were waist deep. I don't remember manic drifting, it was just the way the snow fell if that makes sense. I think the proper lowlands ended up with about six inches of snow, but I can't remember that clearly. I certainly had most of the week off college as we couldn't get out properly, one attempt to get the car out ended up with snow coming up the bonnet and onto the windscreen with my Dad cursing away :lol:

maybe its another time I'm thinking of or maybe I'm just imagining it lol.

I think I remember a time it would have been around then as I would have just not long left school I do remember when I was staying in Dunfermline we got a fair bit of snow can remember it well as we spent half the night getting chased around by the police cos we made a huge snow ball and launched it off the police van windscreen as it was driving down the main road remembering years are hard for me though you wouldn't think it would be so hard considering we hardly got any snow you think those times would stick in the mind.

not too sure about that weather station I have found I don't know if something has went wrong with it or its been taken inside to have something done cos its not updated for 3 hours and it was reading 25.7c when it last updated which for 10 this morning cant have been an outside temp.

heres a link to the map where you can zoom in or out over the whole of Scotland and see what the weather stations are reading

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?brand=wxmap&query=56.02005,-3.812121

Posted

another little post on the pattern the CPC are going for and the chance of an easterly and some good heat

below again the CPC 500mb charts the 6-10 day chart is showing high pressure building over Scandinavia and the 8-14 day is showing high pressure still in that area both with an easterly continental flow as the pattern seems to be flowing along

post-18233-0-19707800-1404597512_thumb.gpost-18233-0-59442900-1404597513_thumb.g

then we have the ECM and GFS 8-10 day 500mb charts and they are both showing high pressure to the north of the UK.

post-18233-0-99914100-1404597594_thumb.g

I have seen the JMA 500mb charts as well and they are going for a similar patter with mid month on looking interesting with a continental flow I saw them in a video on gavsweathervids  but don't have them to hand so you will just have to believe me with that one.

now the models haven't been showing a great deal with this pattern the only one going along with it is the ECM so far but i'll take that as it is the best model out there below shows you on the charts from 120hr it gets to coming along with the pattern of heights to our north and an easterly flow

post-18233-0-10344800-1404597557_thumb.gpost-18233-0-50440700-1404597558_thumb.gpost-18233-0-37337100-1404597559_thumb.gpost-18233-0-31884800-1404597560_thumb.gpost-18233-0-16381800-1404597561_thumb.gpost-18233-0-26372400-1404597592_thumb.g

which in turn goes on to pull those high uppers from the east over towards us and toward the end see's us under really good uppers remember the yellow uppers is what saw the high temps of the last few day in the south

post-18233-0-30744200-1404597516_thumb.gpost-18233-0-45186800-1404597517_thumb.gpost-18233-0-28910000-1404597532_thumb.gpost-18233-0-23385500-1404597536_thumb.gpost-18233-0-32890300-1404597538_thumb.gpost-18233-0-87105600-1404597555_thumb.g

hopefully the other models will start to come along to this and we can firm up on it a bit more but with ECM, GFS, JMA and CPC at 500mb all going for this pattern and the ECM model starting to come along to it at sea level.

now the GFS temp charts show well the heat building over there and I know its not exactly representative to show GFS 2m temp charts with ECM charts but I cant find ECM 2m temp charts but they would be fairly similar

post-18233-0-42071500-1404597593_thumb.ppost-18233-0-01827100-1404597594_thumb.p

Edited by Buriedundersnow

Posted

Rumble of thunder here just now. Sunny start to the day but we've been caught in a line of showers developing in the borders and running northwards. 15.5c.

• Like 1

Posted

Heard rumbles here just to the east and north but very little rain over us

• Like 1

Posted

Heard rumbles here just to the east and north but very little rain over us

got heavy rain and hail here not many miles away
  • Like 1

Posted

I heard the thunder as well just off to my west but that shower was done for before it even got started there was a big burst of outflow it slammed all my windows shut and once you get outflow it prevents anything from building as it stops the air being sucked into the shower to help it lift.

Posted

Been a nice day in Glasgow so far and practically clear towards the Ayrshire Coast. I did see beyond the Ayrshire Coast some Thundery activity developed around Antrim and the Anvils could be seen. Thundery Showers now over the Southern Uplands and I can see the giant anvil and dark clouds from Glasgow.

Posted

A few rumbles of thunder over Forres in mid afternoon amd a funnel cloud starting to form. Currently a thundery shower to the SE of us has just given a rumble and heavy rain coming on. Otherwise a very warm sunny afternoonwith a top temperature of 20c. Another crack of thunder just now to the east over Forres  and the sky is very black .Testing the new flood defences?

• Like 1

Posted

I may have caught the tail end of a possible Twister in Dundee at Lunchtime........ Saw the twister which was passing over The Carse of Gowrie, looked very ropey and was starting to dissipate. By the time I stopped my car close to Ninewells Hospital and got my phone out it had almost gone ! :(  ...

Heres what I got.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Other motorists had stopped to take pics....

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

Big shower passed south of here on its way east, the other showers to the NW of me are going to miss to the north. Maybe something will brew up later although I'd be happy with some clear skies and sunshine, it's still pretty warm here.

There's a wide range of temps across Scotland and the north of England today, looks like some Fohn effect going on? My car thermometer was reading 21ºC on the way home, I think it may be reading a little high but I've not got anything to check it against. I only got the car last week so I'm not sure how accurate it is, I'll sus it out soon enough though.

It looks to be getting warmer as the week goes on, certainly not too much to complain about, although the Meteociel precip charts for the next 72 hours would seem to suggest that there will be rain around at times.

I had to look that up there as I have never heard of fohn effect I knew it can be drier and warmer on ther sides of mountains from the wind but never knew how it worked or that's what it was called (every days a school day) but yeah there could very well be some going on.

I've never really liked using car thermometers as you never know where in the car they are placed and if they are being affected in any way by the car heating up etc.

for anyone else who doesn't know what the fohn effect is heres what I found

When a large air mass is forced up and over a mountain range (Orographic Lift), clouds and precipitation form as the air rises and cools adiabatically. When the air mass reaches the top of the mountain it has lost a significant amount of its water content and so has a much lower dew point. As the air then begins to descend down the lee slope of the mountain, and the air pressure increases, it warms adiabatically. The resultant wind is dry and warm giving clear conditions at airfields on the lee side of the mountain range. As well as creating a warmer climate, these dry winds can be a cause of wild fires during the summer months which may affect flying operations.

post-18233-0-36135500-1404664394_thumb.j

and a little video from the BBC showing its effects in feb 2012 and showing just how potent it can be

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/feeds/17199313

Edited by Buriedundersnow

Posted

I'm recording similar temps Catch...

21c here. Unsure how cloudy it was earlier and what out absolute max was. Maybe 22c?

Since N England is part of this thread then I'll report it was a great day there. Apparently it was torrential rain in Carlisle in the morning but in High Hesket it was sunny all day. Temperatures a little warmer than Dumfries due to more sunshine so say 22ish at a guess about 2/3pm.

Been a great weekend of wether here certainly after that very very wet Friday. (Apparently where I was today had very little rain on Friday - just west of Penrith - amazing how different small moves in location can mean totally different weather conditions

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Ah, we're all together- Scotland and the Far North of England... don't you think we're better together?Anyway... drab day here, rain in the morning, clouds clearing out now, but still pretty cool.

• Like 1

Posted

Ah, we're all together- Scotland and the Far North of England... don't you think we're better together?Anyway... drab day here, rain in the morning, clouds clearing out now, but still pretty cool.

sorry for me I have to say better apart we are only better together for englands sake for Scotland we are better on our own to make our own mind up about our own country.

Posted

Meteorologically speaking, aye, why not :good:

It's been a bit of a nothing day here today. Bit breezy, bit cloudy, bit sunny, bit warm, bit cool.

I see from the Met-O site that June was the 4th warmest on record, it was certainly a good month after a bit of a wet start here.

yeah catch june certainly was a good month lets hope we can keep the ball rolling with the rest of the summer then a wet and windy autumn to get it out the way to allow us a decent winter this time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Can we haggle? What about separating but sharing London's weather? :laugh:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Haha I was jesting of course, I'm very much for Scotland to say YES!

It's turned into a OK day, which is little consolation as I'm spending it watching daytime TV.

• Like 2

Posted

Haha I was jesting of course, I'm very much for Scotland to say YES!

It's turned into a OK day, which is little consolation as I'm spending it watching daytime TV.

why don't you's come along and join us after all anywhere north of Yorkshire Westminster don't give a crap about anyway.

Posted

20c sunny. After a heavy shower and being fairly cloudy, it turned sunny from about 3pm. Nice day.

I'm trying hard not to take the bait!!!

Posted

Meteorologically speaking, aye, why not :good:

It's been a bit of a nothing day here today. Bit breezy, bit cloudy, bit sunny, bit warm, bit cool.

I see from the Met-O site that June was the 4th warmest on record, it was certainly a good month after a bit of a wet start here.

Yes the warmth and rain of June has led to some of the best looking crops and grass we have ever seen in this area with the barley now blowing in the wind over the tops of the fences. The flip side of this is that most of Europe and the Northern Hemisphere are the same so grain prices for this harvest are falling on a daily basis in the expectation of big yields.The price of your loaf should fall if the supermarkets let it. Haymaking is slow with the showery conditions. Higher CO2 concentrations will also be helping crop growth where moisture and warmth are not limiting factors.

Posted

Yes the warmth and rain of June has led to some of the best looking crops and grass we have ever seen in this area with the barley now blowing in the wind over the tops of the fences. The flip side of this is that most of Europe and the Northern Hemisphere are the same so grain prices for this harvest are falling on a daily basis in the expectation of big yields.The price of your loaf should fall if the supermarkets let it. Haymaking is slow with the showery conditions. Higher CO2 concentrations will also be helping crop growth where moisture and warmth are not limiting factors.

Weather has been so at frankly pretty perfect for growers and anyone who wants to do outside activity. Only sunbathers would want it a few degrees warmer but it's not far away. Temperatures usually in the 20-22 range almost everyday since late May. Rain on some days to stop the ground becoming concrete but rainfall is below average ATM. So at the half-way stage it's been pretty perfect. Let's hope it lasts!!!
  • Like 1