Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England, East Anglia & Central Southern England Regional Weather Chat

A.J

Posted

Post from Roger J Smith in the Convective thread:

'Frontal wave is forming near Cherbourg and heading almost due north, results likely to be heavy thunderstorm activity by 0400-0700h in south central England, then possibly a reduction in severity as the feature moves north across the Thames valley around 0900-1000h although still quite active, followed by redevelopment due to daytime heating and growing air mass contrast when the wave reaches the central Midlands around 1200h. I continue to expect the most severe storm formation to occur from 1200h-1500h in parts of the East Midlands, south Yorkshire, and counties north of London but would say some chance of including at least northwest greater London and parts of the Thames valley if a trailing bow echo feature develops during this process.

Best location in my opinion would be Peterborough to Cambridge.'

• Like 1

Posted

Some storms over the channel now but a way to the west and heading to Bournemouth. Humid night here, still 14.5c outside. 

Thanks to LSE for this site for lightning strikes http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime?lang=en

Turning 'stations' on is lots of fun.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Some storms over the channel now but a way to the west and heading to Bournemouth. Humid night here, still 14.5c outside. 

Thanks to LSE for this site for lightning strikes http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime?lang=en

Turning 'stations' on is lots of fun.

No problem stun :)

Posted

Left work at 3am, very still and mild out. The car was reading outside temperature as 18c on the drive home!!

Posted

Left work at 3am, very still and mild out. The car was reading outside temperature as 18c on the drive home!!

Impressive! Not just finishing work at that time, but the temperature too!

Posted

It is definately building to be a Big Bang shortly gone is the sunshine!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything and everything

http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime?lang=en

Definitely an impressive show on this site. The storm out to our West seems to be shifting E/NE very rapidly and building up, and then showing 1 to our S and 1 to our E. Why have I not found this site before?  :fool:

Edit: It just gets better, In the last 5-10 mins more storms are randomly cropping up or at least the lightning. Just need to read the storm forum to clarify places. However accurate it is it still looks impressive and showing good potential 

Edited by Hearts in Herts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Anyone in East norfolk/Suffolk, prepare for a hammering. The radar shows what the potential is for today. At half 4, nothing, then suddenly at sunrise a line of thunderstorms develops out of nowhere which will hit most of norfolk and Suffolk. Just wise sunrise had been earlier and I might have got some of it. Now cloudy here.

Posted

Funny sky here. Confirm that it is raining as bus driver has wipers going. Looks like it really could do absolutely anything

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Grey skies here and it's just started raining. Not a flash, boom or bang to be seen or heard. Oh, to go back 30 years.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Had quite an interesting morning here, with a couple of storm cells, giving a brief burst of torrential rain and quite a lot of thunder and lightning.

One interesting thing is how quickly the storms developed. The first cell, with its spreading anvil, was evident before it showed on the radar (due to the short time lag) Another thing is that these weren't imports and obviously didn't develop due to heat of the day. Obviously the airmass over us is highly unstable, but I wonder what the trigger mechanism was?

Interesting too, if you look at the GFS CAPE charts for 6 o'clock this morning, there wasn't anything to really indicate storms over East Anglia - with the likely area to the south and west still.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Had quite an interesting morning here, with a couple of storm cells, giving a brief burst of torrential rain and quite a lot of thunder and lightning. One interesting thing is how quickly the storms developed. The first cell, with its spreading anvil, was evident before it showed on the radar (due to the short time lag) Another thing is that these weren't imports and obviously didn't develop due to heat of the day. Obviously the airmass over us is highly unstable, but I wonder what the trigger mechanism was? Interesting too, if you look at the GFS CAPE charts for 6 o'clock this morning, there wasn't anything to really indicate storms over East Anglia - with the likely area to the south and west still.

Yes very rapid development, had thunder here with nothing on radar due to the time delay.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow and Hot Sun

Had quite an interesting morning here, with a couple of storm cells, giving a brief burst of torrential rain and quite a lot of thunder and lightning.

One interesting thing is how quickly the storms developed. The first cell, with its spreading anvil, was evident before it showed on the radar (due to the short time lag) Another thing is that these weren't imports and obviously didn't develop due to heat of the day. Obviously the airmass over us is highly unstable, but I wonder what the trigger mechanism was?

Interesting too, if you look at the GFS CAPE charts for 6 o'clock this morning, there wasn't anything to really indicate storms over East Anglia - with the likely area to the south and west still.

The trigger mechanism was that it had passed over the storm shield that holds strong in this little corner of our island and it thought right, now we're good to go lol. 

I was woken at 5 something by lightning app, shot out of bed only to find that it fired up just past us. A bit frustrating although I enjoyed a nice peaceful couple of hours alone before the kids woke up :) good luck to everyone today fingers crossed for some juicy storms. Blue sky peeping through cloud here in Fav

• Like 2

Posted

Nooooooooooo it is All passing just to my west typical

Youre not missing much, just moderate rain, no thunder/lightning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Rather confused skies here, not humid and a strong SE'ly breeze. Hubby says he may have heard thunder and there does seem to be something more than a passing shower cloud in various places, but quite distant.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

The trigger mechanism was that it had passed over the storm shield that holds strong in this little corner of our island and it thought right, now we're good to go lol.  I was woken at 5 something by lightning app, shot out of bed only to find that it fired up just past us. A bit frustrating although I enjoyed a nice peaceful couple of hours alone before the kids woke up :) good luck to everyone today fingers crossed for some juicy storms. Blue sky peeping through cloud here in Fav

My two kids just slept thru this little storm , yet they can hear a crisp packet rattle a mile away !
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Heavy rain here now, no thunder or lightning though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Thunder in Southampton a little while ago

Posted

Have I pretty much had it for the day if I've not had any storms already? :(

Edited by YokTok

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

raining here now, looks like something nasty hit Basildon, standard, always just that mile or 2 east or west of the storms