Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 1st May 2014 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

Stormy sky here now. Looks like its rotating too!!

Posted Imagepicture084.jpg

Edit: getting windier by the minute!

Oh nice! Thanks for the pic. Looks like a reasonably established meso. Storm would be tornado warned if seen on the plains I reckon.

Over here surprisingly getting sharp shower. My girlfriend's son said he thought he saw a couple of flashes.

Edited by Greenday
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

I detected 1 lightning strike between 12-24 miles and 1 lightning strike between 24-40 miles from Newton Poppleford. But, nothing on the ATD...

Edited by William Grimsley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Some heavy showers here today with nice structures at times but no thunder and lightning. We don't always get the juice here but it's pretty good generally although last year was a disappointment.

Hopefully the storms are shared out UK-wide this year: promising start to the convective year methinks  :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Possibly a funnel? Looking south towards them cells east of Dublin

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

No showers here today, but this beauty passed close to me. It looks to be over Poole/Bournemouth way.

Lovely hail streaks from it..

post-15177-0-91114700-1399832951_thumb.j

• Like 3

Posted

For all the storm starved, here is a lovely storm currently going on over Samobor, Croatia. http://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/hrvatska/zagrebacka/samobor/trg-kralja-tomislava.html

Edited by William Grimsley
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

I don't have photos as I use a camcorder when out chasing, but I am sure to have got something. For starters there was a nice rainbow over the sea as the storm departed :)

Ah ok :) I like taking video cause you got a whole lot of frames that you can do a screen capture. Perhaps use a decent camera for very high quality and resolution photo's when necessary.

greenday nice vid how far from airport know area well often cut down back roads from wroxham to park and ride at the airport nice area of norfolk.

Not looking good today too much cloud we getting bit heavy shower at present its not as warm today

It really is overlooking the airport cause if I drive back down the road to the left of the recording then you get to an emergency gate.on the right. If you drive to spixworth and head towards Norwich (not on the North Walsham road) but the road to get into old catton on the west side of Spixworth then there is a little lane on the right that takes you to the mini roundabout that if you took a left at would put you onto lodge lane. This lane has a sharp corner to the left and then a little way up the road there is just enough space to park a car on the right and that is where I took the video and saw the storm.

Storms often pass this way so when I see the sky darkening to the west southwest then I head there for the view. I was so surprised to see this heading my way that's for sure. I got really excited. Being a bit of a noob for chasing in hindsight I would have either waited a bit longer for the storm to get closer so I could have a better look and the shelf stack area on the right or I would have tried to keep ahead of the rotating part to the right but it was moving pretty quickly so I panicked a bit and didn't know what to do. I ended up letting it pass over me on lodge lane which I have footage of on youtube below..

It does look a bit like a funnel passing overhead but it wasn't rotating. Trust me I was keeping a very close eye on it :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

An ideal chase day given slow storm speeds and risks such as marble-sized hail given those steep lapse rates. . 

Absolutely. I am at work until around 3-4pm so hopefully will get out in time to chase locally. I will need storms to be local though as will not have time to position myself a distance away like I did Saturday (chased around East Yorkshire).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Day off work! I think chasing looks definitely on the cards :D happy days!!!

Think the Lincs/Cambs border looks a top spot? What's other peoples take on tomorrow?

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91
  • Like 1

Posted

Ah ok :) I like taking video cause you got a whole lot of frames that you can do a screen capture. Perhaps use a decent camera for very high quality and resolution photo's when necessary.

It really is overlooking the airport cause if I drive back down the road to the left of the recording then you get to an emergency gate.on the right. If you drive to spixworth and head towards Norwich (not on the North Walsham road) but the road to get into old catton on the west side of Spixworth then there is a little lane on the right that takes you to the mini roundabout that if you took a left at would put you onto lodge lane. This lane has a sharp corner to the left and then a little way up the road there is just enough space to park a car on the right and that is where I took the video and saw the storm.

Storms often pass this way so when I see the sky darkening to the west southwest then I head there for the view. I was so surprised to see this heading my way that's for sure. I got really excited. Being a bit of a noob for chasing in hindsight I would have either waited a bit longer for the storm to get closer so I could have a better look and the shelf stack area on the right or I would have tried to keep ahead of the rotating part to the right but it was moving pretty quickly so I panicked a bit and didn't know what to do. I ended up letting it pass over me on lodge lane which I have footage of on youtube below..

It does look a bit like a funnel passing overhead but it wasn't rotating. Trust me I was keeping a very close eye on it :)

Nice second vid.  To me always thinking is this funnel cloud or not.  Today from my home looking to linc wolds it looked like 3 spikes I dismissed them.    Convective posted something very similar to what I saw.  I am also was not sure yesterday if something faint was in a rain wrap.   Can be hard to tell I think its just a trick of the light.

thanks dont get down the area much now got google maps saw the route.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Posted Image

Even Newton Poppleford is under the risk!

Posted

The day is very young yet! However, I'd like this annoying cloud to shift out the way for the sun to get to work!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Tomorrow also looking very good if not better than today with potentially less cloud cover.

Estofex going with a 50% lightning risk within 40km of a point for C,S,SE England today, 15% elsewhere.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Signs of nicely building clouds already here. There were some sculptural skies yesterday. I'm off to Nuremberg tomorrow via Amsterdam, looking forward to some quality cloudspotting :D

Posted

Even if there were breaks in the cloud, or indeed no cloud at all, at the moment, wouldn't make a difference.  Period of peak heating and therefore best potential instability is from mid afternoon into early evening.  So cloud cover at this time is irrelevent.

Ah that is reassuring! Meanwhile, the cloud is beginning to break and I can see blue sky! Game on!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

There's some nice sunshine to start the day here, also nice to get rid of that wind! Hopefully, any beefy developing won't blow through too quickly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

With the wind now significantly lighter across the UK any showers which do pop up today could be torrential and quite prolonged with a chance of some thunder

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
THERE IS A RISK OF THUNDERSTORMS FORECAST

post-1052-0-25846400-1399883298_thumb.pn

Synopsis
Low geopotential heights/cool mid-level temperatures continue to overspread northern Europe, with surface low pressure centred over Denmark/Sern Sweden, bringing an unstable showery airmass across the UK and Ireland. Thunderstorms are likely to form once again as diurnal surface heating in sunny spells reaches its peak this afternoon.

... EIRE/N IRELAND, S SCOTLAND, ENGLAND AND E WALES ...

Steep lapse rates between surface heating and cold mid levels will support widespread convection across the UK and Ireland today. Sporadic thunder and lightning are likely almost anywhere in the above areas this afternoon with stronger convective cells passing through. However, the focus for most numerous thunderstorms will likely be near wind convergence zone forecast to lie from SW/central Scotland down through N England, Lincs and E Anglia - see hatched area on map. Here storms will be slow-moving and any merge with other storms along the zone - bringing prolonged heavy rainfall with a risk of localised flooding. Any storms will also be capable of producing hail and gusty winds. There is a chance of funnel clouds developing along convergence zone mentioned - with an isolated brief/weak tornado not ruled out either with stronger/more buoyant updrafts.
Edited by Nick F
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Some fabulous TCU about here and plenty of warm sunshine, and it's only 1030!

• Like 1

Posted

Some fabulous TCU about here and plenty of warm sunshine, and it's only 1030!

agreed warm here too bit warmer than the other days dont know my accuracy try shield heat but my system saying 19c already   Very little wind here could that be negative for convection later ?.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

agreed warm here too bit warmer than the other days dont know my accuracy try shield heat but my system saying 19c already   Very little wind here could that be negative for convection later ?.

Shouldn't be an issue :)