Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 1st May 2014 onwards

Certainly a disappointing day here with just run-of-the-mill showers, but great to see others getting a thundery surprise! :) Still some interest to be had for many in the coming days :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Sounds like a good afternoon enjoying storms. Was there anything worth taking a piccy of? Beverley, reminds me of a place in tornado alley.

I don't have photos as I use a camcorder when out chasing, but I am sure to have got something. For starters there was a nice rainbow over the sea as the storm departed :)

Posted

greenday nice vid how far from airport know area well often cut down back roads from wroxham to park and ride at the airport nice area of norfolk.

Not looking good today too much cloud we getting bit heavy shower at present its not as warm today

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
THERE IS A RISK OF THUNDERSTORMS FORECAST

post-1052-0-99283500-1399802364_thumb.pn

Synopsis
Low geopotential heights/cool mid-level temperatures overspreading northern Europe and surface low pressure centred over the N Sea/Denmark will bring another day of a cool polar maritime showery regime, with thunderstorms developing over central and northern UK triggered by diurnal surface heating and local wind convergence.

... NERN EIRE/N IRELAND, N WALES, CENTRAL AND N ENGLAND, S SCOTLAND ...

Although lapse rates will be steep enough for isolated thunder and lightning in any showers across most parts of the UK ... greatest probabilities for thunderstorms will be from the Midlands northwards towards the central belt of Scotland, where instability/CAPE will be enhanced by orographic forcing and wind convergence between westerly winds to the south and north/northwesterly winds to the north merging. Thunderstorms here will be slow-moving, given light steering winds aloft, so main risk will be risk of localised flooding where storms linger or merge with other cells. Hail and gusty winds will also accompany any storms/heavy showers. With the light upper winds and surface convergence, funnel clouds or even a brief weak tornado can't be ruled out with more buoyant updrafts that spin along the convergence zone.
Edited by Nick F
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Yesterday was certainly disappointing. It seems that that the west country was really just too cloudy yesterday and all of the showers that fell were still in the boring shower phase whereas the sunnier east saw the showers enter the thundery phase. Today kind of looks the same - too much cloud and not enough sun in the west, so today I am just expecting cloud and showers while the east gets all of the thunder again.

The complete opposite here, it was sunny, pretty much all day! I missed every shower that passed nearby, which meant temps got up to 15℃It has started off in the same fashion today, if I dodge the showers, it will have been a good weekend.

Yesterday was certainly disappointing. It seems that that the west country was really just too cloudy yesterday and all of the showers that fell were still in the boring shower phase whereas the sunnier east saw the showers enter the thundery phase. Today kind of looks the same - too much cloud and not enough sun in the west, so today I am just expecting cloud and showers while the east gets all of the thunder again.

Yeah I think it'll follow yesterdays blueprint. Very squally here today :) I think Lincs and NE England will get lucky today.

Posted

Yes,parts of Yorkshire did pretty well yesterday.

Had some heavy-ish showers here yesterday but no thunder,so hoping for 

better luck this afternoon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Another shameless self-plug...as a follow up to my guide on CAPE and LI yesterday, I have put together guide on the "trigger" mechanisms of thunderstorms :)

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/80260-what-can-act-as-a-thunderstorm-trigger/

• Like 2

Posted

Estofex have no warnings over the UK, just a small risk of lightning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning

post-20640-0-57108800-1399806074_thumb.j

Possible funnel from yesterday's storm?

It's hard to make out, but it did appear to be rotating.

Edited by Utahraptor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Another shameless self-plug...as a follow up to my guide on CAPE and LI yesterday, I have put together guide on the "trigger" mechanisms of thunderstorms :)

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/80260-what-can-act-as-a-thunderstorm-trigger/

Nick, your guides are always appreciated, especially by someone always trying to learn, like me.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Nick, your guides are always appreciated, especially by someone always trying to learn, like me.

Thanks Lauren :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Sky looks great so far. Growing rapidly as we speak, maybe see something from this later?

post-21143-0-12873700-1399807477_thumb.jpost-21143-0-21830200-1399807478_thumb.j

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Sferics shown in Central Scotland now. :yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Picture taken at work

Cb's behind Lincoln cathedral. Sorry about the quality!

Will try and get more pics soon

post-17277-0-46897900-1399813027_thumb.j

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91

Posted

Boooom! Thunder here in Kilmarnock, also had a bit of hail but the storm is just really moving in.. 

Posted

Boooom! Thunder here in Kilmarnock, also had a bit of hail but the storm is just really moving in.. 

Stealing the storms again :rofl:

More towards the south here you can see showery skies but overhead it's sunny (had 1 slight shower so far)

Posted

Stealing the storms again :rofl:

More towards the south here you can see showery skies but overhead it's sunny (had 1 slight shower so far)

Yeah quite lucky considering I'm only visiting! Looks like more heading south out of Glasgow so hoping for a round 2. Quite a bit of localised flooding around after that one!

Edited by Ross B

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Showers on and off here. Once again, the sea is stopping anything decent from arriving.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

It's been dry here since around 10am, not been a bad day really!