Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 1st May 2014 onwards

Posted

Showers are getting more frequent in NW England, especially Merseyside, Manchester and Cheshire. But there's no structure or organisation to them, and almost more 'showery rain'.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

Is this storm just east of the Wash become a supercell? Is that also a hook echo to the north? Could just be the radar image. Hooks in america are usually to the south west of a supecell.

Edit: sorry for the thumbnail image is there if you click it I will try to correct it.

post-7331-0-53994300-1399734997_thumb.jp

Edited by Greenday
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Storm overhead now. About one clap every 45 seconds or so but all IC. Nice hail shower just before storm got here maximum of 1cm diameter with the majority about 0.6cm. Temp now 12.1°C.

Yes, we had that too, short lived but torrential rain, a few lightening/thunder claps and some pea sized hail.

B.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Storm to the north has back-built to the SW and S as it has passed along and now we are getting more thunder.  :yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted

Is this storm just east of the Wash become a supercell? Is that also a hook echo to the north? Could just be the radar image. Hooks in america are usually to the south west of a supecell.

Edit: sorry for the thumbnail image is there if you click it I will try to correct it.

Running the animation it just looks like a smaller cell north of it combined or was feeding the main storm and it just looked like a hook while it was in process. I thought about heading that way but decided not to as it would only be unreachable out to sea pretty quickly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

As usual the cold sea is preventing me from getting anything more than light rain showers, let alone anything remotely thundery.. :(

Posted

Not heard the thunder Vlad but the squall looks impressive sweeping over the Humber

Posted

Not heard the thunder Vlad but the squall looks impressive sweeping over the Humber

Heared one clap around this location it was faint but audible.  sadly only one though agreed the squall impressive been good day.  How much rain we got My rain gauge failed pick some the rainfall due to location cant get it better picked 18.3mm today.

This picked it up Glenn P.

http://www.pjbartlett.co.uk/Sferics.htm

Posted

Ah, yes, nice, probably never heard it as the rain was making enough noise as it was. Must say though as the storm moved out towards Spurn Point it did seem to intensify somewhat. As it was heading out to sea we had a jet black sky with an awesome rainbow. As I type now I can see the

clouds building to the South and North West.......

Posted

I know this maybe a bit premature and today isn't over yet but looking into Monday currently looks like a similar day to today with the same areas possibly getting affected. Even more energy could be tapped into if we can get a trigger. Just now looking at the shear factor though it is very weak currently. However things will change so we can check as time draws on.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Tomorrow does see potential too but possibly cloud cover may stop surface heating for affected areas as a trigger for the potential. I circled the area of interest, DLS is currently very weak and Lower level shear is higher further south of the area of interest. Total totals are v.high as well as high lapse rates. Perhaps there will be a break in the clouds to allow surface heating.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Personal disclaimer - I am in no way an expert and I am viewing this from an amateurs perspective. I haven't done too bad and have been reasonably accurate so far but it does not mean that will happen all the time :)

Edit: Feel free to add anything that may affect my forecast.

Edited by Greenday
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning

A nice thunderstorm passed through at about 4pm with some loud rumbles.post-20640-0-79110000-1399742447_thumb.j

• Like 5

Posted

Ah, yes, nice, probably never heard it as the rain was making enough noise as it was. Must say though as the storm moved out towards Spurn Point it did seem to intensify somewhat. As it was heading out to sea we had a jet black sky with an awesome rainbow. As I type now I can see theclouds building to the South and North West.......

yes thought that too very dark at one point still some sporadic isolated stuff not dropping though lovely rainbow toward humberston gave an appearance.

thanks greenday makes a change us getting action hope your right more to come

Edited by vladthemert
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

It's all in the East again-why? Been raining on and off all day here but nothing remotely thundery. The risk area was shown as right across from Wales to the east coast.

Always the bloody case...  :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

I know this maybe a bit premature and today isn't over yet but looking into Monday currently looks like a similar day to today with the same areas possibly getting affected. Even more energy could be tapped into if we can get a trigger. Just now looking at the shear factor though it is very weak currently. However things will change so we can check as time draws on.

Tomorrow does see potential too but possibly cloud cover may stop surface heating for affected areas as a trigger for the potential. I circled the area of interest, DLS is currently very weak and Lower level shear is higher further south of the area of interest. Total totals are v.high as well as high lapse rates. Perhaps there will be a break in the clouds to allow surface heating.

Personal disclaimer - I am in no way an expert and I am viewing this from an amateurs perspective. I haven't done too bad and have been reasonably accurate so far but it does not mean that will happen all the time :)

Edit: Feel free to add anything that may affect my forecast.

Downgrades :rofl:...... Great work!... Love to see charts like them but always seem to get downgraded!.... But we'll see :good:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Have been driving around the Driffield-Hornsea area this afternoon, seen plenty of heavy showers and storms. Sat on the coast earlier with loud thunder booming and some IC lightning overhead. Pea sized hail in a storm north of Beverley around mid afternoon too.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Had a large storm that went straight overhead during my golf competition this afternoon in Strensall just north of York. Match was abandoned due to the amount of rain that fell in such a short space of time. 

• Like 1

Posted

yes thought that too very dark at one point still some sporadic isolated stuff not dropping though lovely rainbow toward humberston gave an appearance.

thanks greenday makes a change us getting action hope your right more to come

Fingers crossed for you up there!

Downgrades :rofl:...... Great work!... Love to see charts like them but always seem to get downgraded!.... But we'll see :good:

Well I figure that it's better that there are promising charts than none at all. At least then the chances are more than nothing :yahoo:

Have been driving around the Driffield-Hornsea area this afternoon, seen plenty of heavy showers and storms. Sat on the coast earlier with loud thunder booming and some IC lightning overhead. Pea sized hail in a storm north of Beverley around mid afternoon too.

Sounds like a good afternoon enjoying storms. Was there anything worth taking a piccy of? Beverley, reminds me of a place in tornado alley.

Posted
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Monday currently looking really quite tasty for the usual spots again! 

I'm off work too, so may be able to do some chasing!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

nice little funnel cloud there

Was really unexpected today, there was only a very slight risk of storms and its not very often you get two within a year in the same place!

• Like 1

Posted

Was really unexpected today, there was only a very slight risk of storms and its not very often you get two within a year in the same place!

That is the crazy thing about storms they can be so unexpected. Welcome to the funnel cloud club (FCC) :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Yesssss! :yahoo:  :yahoo: