Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 21st April 2014 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

I managed to hide under a bridge yesterday for one of the monsoons then it was waterproofs for the rest of the day

Posted Image

Just felt the first spots....

Edited by matty40s
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

That cell to the west of Plymouth (near Looe I believe) is really packing a punch. Lots of sferics and bright echoes associated with it.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Sea breeze just arrived, sea breeze front producing only a few light showers running just to our north. Temp down from 19c max to 16.5c currently. Moderate NNW breeze having replaced the previous very light easterly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

It looks like I'll miss out here, extremely close, but no cigar!

Bournemouth airport had 15.6mm in an hour and 12mm in 20 minutes, only 15 miles from me. :lol:

Edited by Mapantz

Posted

While good storms can get going to the west and east of here, here every cumulus that bubbles up enough here hits some cap and spreads into a big sheet of strato/altocumulus. Could just about see a CB that made it in the far distance to the west.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Fantastic couple of hours here between 11am and 2pm, noticed the showers fired up around 10:30 to our East and ENE, so me, my girlfriend and my mate went on a little stormchase (was my girlfriends first stormchase). Started to head West of Newport, and we encounted Torrential Rain and then we had an incredible Hailstorm, the hailstones were enormous! Between the size of a marble and Golfball.

We went up on to this hill where there was an opening, the base of the shower was getting stronger, and the hail caught up again, and then BOOM, we saw our first Lightning Strike which was a very bright Positive CG, and then the classic gunshot thunder finishing with a deep boom :D. Something else then caught our Attention on the Southern part of the cell, there was very strong rotation and up draught going on, and looked like a funnel had tried to form. Had a another rumble of thunder whilst watching the rotation.

Anyways we then headed west again towards West Wight, to catch up to the storm again because it was getting stronger, as we got to where we wanted, the thunder and lightning got a lot more frequent and we ended with a proper Thunderstorm, before it moved away. There was so much hail on the ground, it was white everywhere around us :).

Been great this year and today was great :)

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

I wonder if those showers to the E will get here? Hopefully, they will intensify with a few hours of convection left. Just a lot of cumulus and stratocumulus around, at the moment meaning less convection than if there was no stratocumulus.

Posted

Moderate shower, a more active heavy shower has formed over Whitland to our SW.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Fantastic couple of hours here between 11am and 2pm, noticed the showers fired up around 10:30 to our East and ENE, so me, my girlfriend and my mate went on a little stormchase (was my girlfriends first stormchase). Started to head West of Newport, and we encounted Torrential Rain and then we had an incredible Hailstorm, the hailstones were enormous! Between the size of a marble and Golfball.We went up on to this hill where there was an opening, the base of the shower was getting stronger, and the hail caught up again, and then BOOM, we saw our first Lightning Strike which was a very bright Positive CG, and then the classic gunshot thunder finishing with a deep boom :D. Something else then caught our Attention on the Southern part of the cell, there was very strong rotation and up draught going on, and looked like a funnel had tried to form. Had a another rumble of thunder whilst watching the rotation.Anyways we then headed west again towards West Wight, to catch up to the storm again because it was getting stronger, as we got to where we wanted, the thunder and lightning got a lot more frequent and we ended with a proper Thunderstorm, before it moved away. There was so much hail on the ground, it was white everywhere around us :).Been great this year and today was great :)

Well done SK :good:, any footage?   I can talk as I took some video of my downpour in Newbury but I'm not exactly clued up about uploading video. :fool:

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

flippin heck! that's some downpour we just had, a mixture of stair rod rain and hail...no lightning, which did surprise me somewhat, but the garden is now a swimming pool

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Well done SK :good:, any footage?   I can talk as I took some video of my downpour in Newbury but I'm not exactly clued up about uploading video. :fool:

I got some pictures on my phone so I'll try and upload them a bit later, it was quite something tbh
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

So frustrating seeing all these slide just to the south of me!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

So frustrating seeing all these slide just to the south of me!

They were sliding south east of me earlier, now they're sliding north of me, it's a very unlucky spot for storms here. :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

They were sliding south east of me earlier, now they're sliding north of me, it's a very unlucky spot for storms here. :lol:

The accumulation map says it all...

post-7600-0-98114400-1398701308_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

flippin heck! that's some downpour we just had, a mixture of stair rod rain and hail...no lightning, which did surprise me somewhat, but the garden is now a swimming pool

Hi AJ, we had a rain rate of 111.8mm/hr at one point up the road in Newbury, so am not surprised at your garden becoming a swimming pool.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Recent sferics over west Carmarthenshire

Posted

Ouch, doesn't it just and I reckon I'm under one of those brightest pixels too. :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

A couple of rumbles of thunder here just now from the quick downpour we just had. Now moving off on its travels.

Edit: Although saying that it seems to be moving slowly just had a couple more flashes of lightning :D

Edited by Chris K

Posted

Torrential shower! Very slow moving.

Posted

Some ragged edges visible to the North of Newbury right now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Thunder and lightning in Bristol!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Thunder and lightning in Bristol!!

Must be the same thundershower I'm watching to my South!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fire tornado

This has been the most interesting year for weather i can remember, I cant wait till the summer sun is in full force. Id bet this summer is going to more convective than previous years..... Hopefully :D

Some very large clouds bubbling up to my east. Fingers crossed for a hail shower!

• Like 2