Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 21st April 2014 onwards

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Wasn't even in the risk area, so, indeed, nicely forecast.  

As I've advised before, perhaps you'd care to have a shot at forecasting yourself to see if you can do any better.  I certainly doubt it, but at least you can moan at yourself instead of here when you get it wrong.  :winky:

I've been spot on before, but you lot in your high and mighty we are never wrong forecasting chair always deny it! I will not keep going back over old posts again and again!

Thankfully we don't have the same level of storms as the states or we'd have a lot of lost lives in this country

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Anyway, I'm tired, grumpy and going to bed!

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

post-1052-0-26539500-1398667269_thumb.pn

Synopsis

Slow-moving upper and collocated surface low will be sat over northern France today, cold mid-level temperatures associated with proximity of upper low will produce steep lapse rates and an unstable airmass with surface heating across southern Britain today.

… S ENGLAND and S WALES …

Like Sunday, morning cloud cover will restrict any strong convective activity, but likely breaks in cloud cover will allow surface heating to make slack airmass unstable again by this afternoon, with GFS indicating up to 300-400 j/kg CAPE this afternoon across SW/S England. So heavy showers and thunderstorms will once again develop, with a risk of hail, gusty winds and torrential rain leading to localised flooding. Thunderstorms should die out after dusk.

Full forecast here: http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=convective;sess=

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I see a few showers are springing up around me?! Desperately need the sunshine to come through though, it's grey and miserable at the moment lol plenty of time though! :)

Warning out for a small area in the south west: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1398639600&regionName=sw

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

I see a few showers are springing up around me?! Desperately need the sunshine to come through though, it's grey and miserable at the moment lol plenty of time though! :)

Warning out for a small area in the south west: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1398639600&regionName=sw

Weird how for that exact area, the winds are spiraling...tornado activity?

Posted Image

Posted

That looks tantalisingly, but annoyingly west of me. Was up on Dartmoor yesterday arvo to catch a high view of the cloud formations. Alas, lots of rain showers & wind, but nothing exciting.

We'll see what happens this afternoon.

Posted

Weird how for that exact area, the winds are spiraling...tornado activity?

Posted Image

Nicely indicating what the MO say about sea breezes meeting the prevailing wind, good to see the GFS close to the mark?! hehe

The parameters aren't there for anything significant but as weather09 eluded too, a funnel cloud cannot be ruled out.

The sun made an appearance not too long ago, despite the temps not being high, it felt quite sultry, dark clouds arrived shortly afterwards.

Posted

An sferic popped up over the IoW.

post-15177-0-71753800-1398684419_thumb.p

The bulk of cloud is moving West, so those breaks in the cloud are moving this way (sun back out right now)

post-15177-0-46050000-1398685008_thumb.p

Edited by Mapantz

Posted

Pretty warm in the sun here; still a lot out high cloud cover.

Looking at the radar, it looks like things are starting to kick off around the Solent. Is that a sqall line to the E of Plymouth too?

Edited by boogercj

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and thunderstorms, snow in winter

Gone pretty dark here, looks and feels quite thundery but frustratingly it looks like that cell is skirting just to the south of me.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

A warm sunny 18c here in West Wales, convergence showers possible for this area as we progress through the afternoon as the sea breeze arrives. Still have the synoptic gradient east breeze currently which is why it is nice and warm!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Sun has been hazy all morning West of Tamworth but it has suddenly come warm with it and big towers are starting to build

Posted

15℃ now and things are beginning to bubble up! There's darker skies to the east/northeast of me..

post-15177-0-34683600-1398689106_thumb.p

post-15177-0-60789200-1398689200_thumb.jpost-15177-0-53202600-1398689232_thumb.j

• Like 3

Posted

Dark developing Cu just north not on radar yet will be any mo!

Posted

First rumble heard to my south east, they're just bypassing me at the moment.

There they are! :)

post-15177-0-28638600-1398691505_thumb.p

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Posted

Cu to north seems inhibited and is flattening, looks just a light shower atm and still has not appeared on radar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Showers developing over us now the last one very heavy with large rain droplets! Also gave a flash and small rumble when it passed! Wonder if any decent storms will come over here though!