Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 21st April 2014 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

we just catching the edge of this its raining heavy at moment.  This was not expected but if was not darn mist here I am sure lightening would developed

Yep, the back edge of the precipitation is pepping up as it comes this way. There was a suggestion in comments from the professionals that convection would become elevated during the nighttime hours as it moved north. If this is true then the cold,. murky conditions we are experiencing at ground level may not affect what is going on higher up.

Interesting evening I have to say.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

The remnants of the Benelux storms are trundling up the east coast of England still spitting out the odd sferic now and again, should be visible off the the Yorkshire coast

Posted

I am sure I can hear rumbling but there is nothing on the charts

I find that, too, when I've seen/heard cloud-to-cloud flashes/rumbles. Is there some threshold below which they don't register, like number of strikes within a given timeframe? Or do only CGs register or something?

Edited by Crepuscular Ray

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

meteox has us just having 2 strikes lightening with this mist not gonna see them.  Did not hear any thunder.  Its getting lively near norfolk coastline.

:cc_confused: Am I missing something?

Posted

:cc_confused: Am I missing something?

who knows they have us getting lightening storm too we not getting anything but to be fair thick fog here.  Looking at live feed had few strikes near sherringham not on land mind you supercell. 

Posted

I find that, too, when I've seen/heard cloud-to-cloud flashes/rumbles. Is there some threshold below which they don't register, like number of strikes within a given timeframe? Or do only CGs register or something?

glad it's just not my imagination, I think sometimes it is in cloud which maybe doesn't register as you say

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

lol at Vorticity0123, im sure you will have many more storms this summer!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

Nice little storm went overhead with a decent amount of lightning and thunder. 

Posted

lol at Vorticity0123, im sure you will have many more storms this summer!!!

The signs are very positive  :). We have had a 3-day sequence of storms, which is rather incredible in april! Furthermore, yesterday, hailstones with a radius of about 1 cm were recorded at The Bilt! And finally, the KNMI measured a total of more than 17000 lighting strikes in the Netherlands yesterday!

Below is a sequence of radar images of the Nertherlands, at 19 LT as of 23, 24 and 25 April.

Posted Image

Radar image of 23 April 19 LT, showing some modest lighting activity.

Posted Image

Radar image of 24 April 19 LT, showing disorganized areas of very intense lighting activity.

Posted Image

Finally, a radar image of 23 April 19 LT, showing the convective cells being organized in a broken band, also with some very intense lighting activity.

Sources:

http://www.buienradar.nl/radararchief?dag=25&maand=04&jaar=2014&uur=19&minuut=00&bliksem=on&soort=0&postcode=

http://www.knmi.nl/cms/content/119218/zomerse_hagel_in_april

Edited by Vorticity0123
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Strikes have show up near here on NW from those cells we were watching earlier but with the thick fog and the neighbours having a party there was nothing to be seen or heard here. Glad to see that the good folks of Scarborough got to see something though.  :lol:

So close but, as I said earlier, an interesting evening and it still has not got above 9°C all day!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

So close? It was miles and miles out! Badly wrong, but then estofex did put us in a severe level warning, that always ends up going pete tong

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

Vorticity0123.. the Dutch stormchasers must laugh at the U.K.

We are just far enough west to miss out on the thunderstorms, and it is only when the cold fronts leave the U.K that the ingredients phase to give everyone else storms....

Vorticity0123.. the Dutch stormchasers must laugh at the U.K.

We are just far enough west to miss out on the thunderstorms, and it is only when the cold fronts leave the U.K that the ingredients phase to give everyone else storms....

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

At the end of this, the northeast are getting the fun! Well I never... Lol

All we ended up with up here in the north east was heavy rain and squally winds, although the wind did shift the thick fog thankfully..

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Netweather storm forecast for today: http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=convective;sess=02c98abb31447a4e464615780aceea76

post-1052-0-18894900-1398504225_thumb.jp

Synopsis
Upper and collocated surface low will shift ESE across SW Britain later today. An unstable flow will circulate around the low, the risk of thunderstorms predominantly towards the southwest near the low pressure system.

... N SCOTLAND, IRELAND, S WALES and S ENGLAND ...

There is a risk of lightning across the far north of Scotland in the next few hours before morning heavy thundery downpours here clear away north. Otherwise, bands of heavy showers and a few thunderstorms will spiral around the low close to the southwest of the UK today, any thunderstorms that develop will occur mostly in the above areas, though isolated lightning can't be ruled out elsewhere. Winds will generally be unidirectional up through the troposphere, so vertical shear will be weak with no severe weather likely. However, heavy showers/storms will tend to 'train' over some locations, bringing large rainfall totals with a risk of localised flooding. Any showers/storms may produce small hail and gusty winds. Showers and isolated storms continuing across the south and west of England and Wales overnight.

Issued by: Nick Finnis

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Can we get lucky again today, its been a fantastic start to the year for storms where I am, trying to make the most of it before I move out to Guernsey.

Come on Storms!

Posted

I think it'll be Wales/SW and Southern England that will get the thundery showers, the rest of us having heavy showers.