Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?
Sign in to follow this  
knocker

Whoops, no signal

Sometimes taking technology for granted can cause a major hiccup.

Yesterday I visited Trelissick Gardens which are situated on the river Fal five miles out from Truro. I took a taxi and told the driver I would give him a ring when ready to return. Problem. It turned out that the gardens are in a network dead zone and there is of course no public phone these days.

I tried walking to the top of the hill still no joy and was contemplating my next move when one of the blokes supervising the car parking suggested I walk down a certain path until I come to a cattle grid and I might get a signal there. He was right thankfully and saved me from resorting to smoke signals.

Note to self. In future check for signal on arrival.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

I have that problem very often with '3' network. Hopeless. Smoke signals........:D lol.

I have the same at my room in Reading with EE! I only get signal in certain parts of my room, thanks EE.

Instead of wasting time with 4G (which is pointless considering the pitiful amount of data on most contracts), they need to improve existing networks.

I have the same at my room in Reading with EE! I only get signal in certain parts of my room, thanks EE. Instead of wasting time with 4G (which is pointless considering the pitiful amount of data on most contracts), they need to improve existing networks.

They're already testing 5G in London, yet I cannot get 3G where I live, the nearest place is Poole. It was said five years ago that 3G would be available, so it's unacceptable not to have it by now.As for 4G, the amount of devices that support LTE is very little, so it doesn't interest me one bit, especially when I can pick up a WiFi hotspot practically anywhere I go (unless it's completely devoid of inhabitants)EE's 4G network is a bit of a con too (compared to say, Verizon in the states) They bought a particular wavelength for their network, this was a money saving effort, the trouble is, you cannot make calls through 4G, it has to drop back to 3G, the next problem with that is, they started removing 3G in many places to make way for the 4G wavelength, so you cannot be connected to 4G and make/receive a call at the same time. I guess, if you're in to downloading movies or something, it would be a pain, but the fact EE do this, is somewhat misleading when touting their network, as far as I'm aware, they are the only network to do this.

They're already testing 5G in London, yet I cannot get 3G where I live, the nearest place is Poole. It was said five years ago that 3G would be available, so it's unacceptable not to have it by now.As for 4G, the amount of devices that support LTE is very little, so it doesn't interest me one bit, especially when I can pick up a WiFi hotspot practically anywhere I go (unless it's completely devoid of inhabitants)EE's 4G network is a bit of a con too (compared to say, Verizon in the states) They bought a particular wavelength for their network, this was a money saving effort, the trouble is, you cannot make calls through 4G, it has to drop back to 3G, the next problem with that is, they started removing 3G in many places to make way for the 4G wavelength, so you cannot be connected to 4G and make/receive a call at the same time. I guess, if you're in to downloading movies or something, it would be a pain, but the fact EE do this, is somewhat misleading when touting their network, as far as I'm aware, they are the only network to do this.

I really do not see the point of getting a 4G plan at the moment. Sure, if you can get the signal it is much faster. But why bother when you only get a couple of GB to play with before you go over your allowance? For watching videos or other intensive data streaming which 4G is designed for, current data plans are not up to scratch.

• Like 1

Get yourself a sat phone, you can't go wrong. Mine even picked up full signal at the Wrangel Island at the Tundra. Amazing - so if you only use your phone was ringing someone, get a Sat.

Kind of Related but last year I started getting calls on my mobile from EE offering me 4G (They we're persistent) but I eventually answered. She was nice on the phone said I could have free EE Movies and free EE Cinema tickets so I thought what the hell and accepted. The EE Movies and tickets we're not free and 4G was not even available in my area...............DOH! I kicked up a stink and got switched back to t-mobile 3G on a cheaper deal too

I should have perhaps been more precise with my original post. My current phone is due anytime to be donated to the Science Museum. I only use it for taxis and emergencies and leave it turned off otherwise in case anyone rings. I tend to miss the old boxes with their A and B buttons.

It wasn't that long ago when I was using it at Truro station when a young whippersnapper sidled up and said, "blimey that's an old one you've got there mister". I replied, "in case you haven't noticed I am an old one".

Still, going to have to bite the bullet soon and do my Victor Meldrew act and get a new one. All to make a phone call.

• Like 3

Where I live now it is patchy in the house for signal (have to stand at the very back or very front of the house) and where I used to live in the village was nigh on impossible to get a signal on any network (seems better now though).

You can still get a more basic phone as well, purchased these types of device last year for my Nan and Father, I only moved to the smart phone as it was bundled for the same price in my contract and comes with a decent camera what is what I use as it is better than my old Koda digital (plus saves carrying two devices around when I am out in the local parks and reserves etc).  It may be a smartphone but I only use it as a phone and camera nothing else.

None at all here yet, so we just shout loud.Actually there's a new scheme which *should* get subsidised coverage at least to the main villagesThis really should have been done at least ten years ago.Just last month our neighbour fell and broke her leg while out with her dogs and was very lucky I heard her crying for help in the evening.As it was she was lying out for three hours and getting serious hypothermic.