Windy?
Sign in to follow this  
Weather-history

World Snooker Championship 2018

It all starts this Saturday.

Ronnie O'Sullivan looks the favourite.

Edited by Weather-history

World Snooker Championship: Mark Williams and Graeme Dott fail to qualify

Mark Williams will miss the World Championship for the first time since 1996 after he lost 10-8 to Alan McManus in the final qualifying round. Williams, 39, won the trophy in 2000 and 2003 and edged into an 8-7 lead during the evening session. But McManus reeled off three frames in a row to reach the main draw. Another former world champion, Graeme Dott, who won the title in 2006, also failed to qualify, losing 10-7 to world number 89 Kyren Wilson. This latest defeat is a major blow for Williams, a winner of 18 ranking tournaments during an illustrious career. The Welshman has now lost his place in the coveted top 16.

Williams and Scotland's Dott were not the only big-name casualties at the Ponds Forge Arena in Sheffield. Another Welshman, Matthew Stevens, also made an earlier than anticipated exit. Stevens, beaten by Williams in the 2000 final and runner-up to Shaun Murphy five years later, went down 10-8 to Tom Ford. The 36-year-old was 8-4 down to his 39th-ranked opponent before taking four of the next five frames. But Ford hung on to reach the Crucible for the first time since 2010.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/27044599

If Ronnie O'Sullivan is at or near his best then it's hard to see anyone else beating him, but if he has a couple of "off days" then any of about 20 players could win it.  On the basis of his performances this season, Ding Junhui would have to be second-favourite after Ronnie, but he sometimes gets hard on himself when he misses shots that he wouldn't normally miss (rather like Ronnie often used to) and gets downhearted and loses many consecutive frames, which could prove more costly in the longer-duration matches, so I am hesitant to put Ding as a clear second-favourite for the title.

First round draw

Ronnie O'Sullivan v Robin Hull

Joe Perry v Jamie Burnett

Marco Fu v Martin Gould

Shaun Murphy v Jamie Cope

Barry Hawkins v David Gilbert

Ricky Walden v Kyren Wilson

Mark Davis v Dominic Dale

Ding Junhui v Michael Wasley

Mark Selby v Michael White

Ali Carter v Xiao Guodong

John Higgins v Alan McManus

Stuart Bingham v Ken Doherty

Judd Trump v Tom Ford

Stephen Maguire v Ryan Day

Mark Allen v Michael Holt

Neil Robertson v Robbie Williams

Ronnie O'Sullivan has a quite long career with ups and downs but still been near the top for about 20 years. He won the UK title in 1993!

Steve Davis and Stephen Hendry's careers basically lasted about 10 to 15 years near the top before the decline.

Davis was 31 when he last won the World title and Hendry was 30.

O'Sullivan is 38 and looks like he could bag another World title. If I were to have a career, I think I rather have the O'Sullivan longetivity rather than the burning brilliant but cometary career of Davis and Hendry at the top.

Sucks balls! nobody else stands a chance, not interested in the slightest in what is guaranteed to be 0'sullivans title

the world snooker championships is too predictable, we all know the winner

Anyone remember when Jimmy White missed that black when he was making a potential world title winning break?

That was 20 years ago and I was gutted.

Anyone remember when Jimmy White missed that black when he was making a potential world title winning break?That was 20 years ago and I was gutted.

Good days of snooker, when I used to watch it, think I remember it, I know he was leading Hendry by quite a lot, I was a Jimmy fan as well, disappointing final '94

Anyone remember when Jimmy White missed that black when he was making a potential world title winning break?That was 20 years ago and I was gutted.

Yes, I recall that I downloaded a recording of the whole final from YouTube a while ago as well.  Jimmy had knocked in a couple of great pressure pots on his way to a break of 29 (leading by 37 points to 24) and then twitched and fluffed the black.  Stephen Hendry then came close to missing a pink with the rest during his 58 clearance but it "wiped its feet" and went in. 

I believe that with both Stephen Hendry and Steve Davis, their decline started due to lack of motivation, and the fear of going into an irreversible decline, rather than age.  Ronnie O'Sullivan's lack of consistency may have helped his longevity as he hasn't had a long period of dominance, which makes a loss of form seem worse and more likely to be terminal than when your form is up and down.  But Ronnie is by no means a dead cert for the title- if he has a bad session at some point he can still be beaten.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

You have to say now O'Sullivan is hot favourite.

3 for me can win it this year, Ronnie, Robertson and Judd, If Ronnie's mind is right on the day he'll take some beating

This mornings results

Judd Trump 10-8 Tom Ford

Barry Hawkins 10-4 David Gilbert

Quite a struggle for Judd it has to be said quite a few of the top players (Ronnie aside) seem to be struggling at the worlds this year

O'Sullivan through to the semis after steamrolling over Murphy.

Hawkins through to the semis to face O'Sullivan.

Selby through as well.

Not interested in this event, when I know the winner before event started, everybody else playing for runner up

Last year Ronnie O'Sullivan was the only player producing close to his best form, apart from Barry Hawkins in the final who kept the scoreline respectable at 18-12.  This isn't the case this year- Robertson and Selby in particular are looking comparably strong.  Joe Perry also put in a surprisingly good performance in his second-round match against Ronnie, only losing 13-11, so I think Ronnie does look beatable this year.

Ronnie makes it to the final with a session to spare Mark Selby leads Neil Robertson 9-7 going into tomorrows third session at 10am

At the current time I think there are only two players who could beat O'Sullivan in a long match and thankfully for the game he will be playing one of them in the final!

If Mark Selby plays like he did in that semi-final, the final is shaping up to be a cracker, where it is anyone's guess as to who will win, and an interesting clash of styles as well.  They have certainly had some classic finals in the past, including two in the Masters (2008, 2009).

If, however, he turns out to be somewhat drained then I can see Ronnie running away with it, like he did against Selby in the Masters this year.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers