Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Remarkable lack of snow for parts of the UK this season.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

That is a surprise 1993-94 on your list. I'm that surprised I'm going to say are you sure?We got about that amount you recorded from one snowfall during late February 1994 alone.It was one of the better winters of the 90s in terms of snow, at least around here.

Thanks WH/ Summer of 95 , you're right I meant 1992/93. Followed the wrong line on the spread sheet.

• Like 2

Yes this year and most of last year were dreadful for snowfall, still think though that Januaries and Februaries zonal weather was colder than you usually get as it never felt that mild with more PM air than TM air you usually get in zonal weather, December did feel very mild at times unlike Jan/Feb though, whats remarkable to me though was the mildness of this Spring, it's felt incredibly humid at times and the past week was hell to sleep at night, last night was so much better, Jan/Feb felt much colder than this spring that's for sure.

Edited by Eugene

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Looks like now a completely snowless spring.

Well it is now. No early June 1975 threat on the cards.Remarkable, it has to be the most snowless period in decades around here. 3 days of falling sleet and snow since 2nd April 2013. And the total time that this wintry precipitation fell is less than half an hour!
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

This has to be an imby thing I guess? A snowless Winter and Spring isn't uncommon here, I've managed 7 or 8 in a row.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

i am 38 and i have never known a autumn/winter without a single snowflake falling never mind no lying snow, terrible and i do not want to experience it again, 

• Like 4

Posted

i am 38 and i have never known a autumn/winter without a single snowflake falling never mind no lying snow, terrible and i do not want to experience it again, 

nowt but a lad then!

at double that I have to admit, although the mind can play tricks on us all, another autumn-winter-spring with so little in any place I have lived in the UK.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I'm not sure I can remember a winter where there hasn't at least been a snow shower that has quickly melted, but this year, that is what we got.

Every other year we have had at least a couple of snow days where the snow remained on the ground and in recent years several snow events.

Posted

The accumulated snowfall for the period November 2013 to April 2014 was just 11.9cm here. The only year with less over the same period was 1993/94 with 11.7cm, and 2003/04 came in with 12.3cm.

Realistically, differences of 0.2 and 0.4cm are neither here nor there when measuring snowfall, which is never the most exact of sciences, so all three seasons were equally poor.

Surprised how low 2003/2004 came in as well - there were a few decent snowfalls with height in these parts especially late December and into early January as well as late Jan and more especially tail end Feb into March.

Its been a snowless spring here, the fells only managed one decent fall in late March, but since then nothing.

I think this season will go down as an anomaly, a one-off..

Posted

This has to be an imby thing I guess? A snowless Winter and Spring isn't uncommon here, I've managed 7 or 8 in a row.

It's not just the lack of snow, it's the severe paucity of anything resembling "wintriness" such as frost and cold, crispy days. How many air frosts did you manage since autumn? I think I've had three at the most. Absolutely dreadful.

To think that mobile westerly pattern lasted throughout virutally the entire winter period. I'm sure someone up in the sky is trolling us.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Here we don't get much snow here normally, and we wouldn't necessarily get snow every Spring... However it is very rare not to have snow falling and lying between and including Autumn and Spring. This year we has 10 minutes of snow in winter and none in Autumn or Spring. Only twice did the temperature fall below 0C between the Autumn, Winter and Spring months.. And in parts of the town no air frosts for over a year.. I'd say it was rubbish but to be honest it's absolutely amazing, statistically speaking.

• Like 1

Posted

Now we're at the end of May its essentially confirmed we had no sleet or snow at all during Autumn, Winter and Spring. The total air frosts for the three seasons was 10, which is equal lowest with 1989/90 and 1997/98.

I didn't think it was possible to go from October - May here without a single day of sleet falling but there you go. At least next year cant be any worse!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Amazingly this season has matched the very mild 1988/1989 season for air frosts at 17 although 6 of these were in November.

A far cry from last years total of 70,the most for 34 years !!!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

It was indeed an incredible winter and spring in terms of the lack of snow and frosts.....yet the memory of the previous winters remained strong enough to keep away the despair of years gone by when winters weren't much better.

A slight bit of concern however has arisen in me regarding the prospects for next winter. I don't suppose for one moment that the weather for a season can ever be put down to one "cause" ....but suppose it could?

To me it seems that there has been increasing volcanic activity across the earth in recent years - though this may be simply that I've been paying more attention to it! i don't believe that this itself has any prospects on our weather, but suppose specific volcanos erupting at specific times of the year did?

Mount Pavlof in Alaska erupted last year in May and carried on doing so until August. Did this influence weather patterns that bought the US a severe winter while bringing the UK virtually nothing? I hope not because, once again, Mount Pavlof began erupting in May and strong eruptions continue as I type.

Prior to last year it had been dormant since erupting in August 2007.... and a disappointing winter. If we get another disappointing winter this year i think I'm gonna start calling them "Pavlof Winters" :)

Edited by Timmytour
  • Like 1

Posted

If there did occur a day of lying snow in summer, which winter season would it be credited to? June I expect the previous one, and.August the following, but July??

Easy to answer. The previous one as that what Bonacina did for July 1888.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Really? None in December 2010, or do you mean prior to then?

Prior to then. 2010 wasn't even that special here, only an inch of snow fell, it was just the fact it froze solid for a few days.
  • Like 1

If there did occur a day of lying snow in summer, which winter season would it be credited to? June I expect the previous one, and.August the following, but July??

It’s a question I’ve often pondered.

The mid-way point between the solstice and the equinox is the 6th August (based on 92 days between the 21st June and 21st September). It seems to me that it would be sensible to have a date where the 'old' season ends and the 'new' one starts. 

On the hills of Scotland, since 1944 we have seen fresh snow in 12 Julys and 11 Augusts. The total number of days when we have seen no snow in July is 12, and 19 in August. The longest run of dates in either of these months without snow ever being known is 7-13th August and 21-27th August. It seems to me, therefore, that any snow before the 7th August could be classified as old season, and any that falls after the 13th is 'new'. Any snow that falls in this period (thus breaking a 70 year trend!) would have to be decided on an individual basis, I fancy. 

Edited by firefly
  • Like 1