Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2014 thread

Posted

How are the criteria for, in particular, sun and RD attained and why these the figures divided by? Thanks Kevin.

For here an apparently mediocre 207 score, but the mean would be lower than Manchester I guess (cooler/ more RD).

In fact I would class it a decent Summer.

Sunshine is total sunshine hours and rain days are days with greater than 0.1mm of rainfall. What I recall the divisions are something to do with standard deviation. Edited by Weather-history

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Sunshine is total sunshine hours and rain days are days with greater than 0.1mm of rainfall. What I recall the divisions are something to do with standard deviation.

Thanks Kevin, a rain day is 0.2mm or more yes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Why y'all still talking about summer? It's over. And this fake autumn ought to get real. Ye I know it's only the second day, but still...

Remember March 2013? people we're still very actively posting in the winter thread through-out the month even though it was spring so I see nothing wrong with people posting in this thread during September if they want to

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 4

Posted

Why y'all still talking about summer? It's over. And this fake autumn ought to get real. Ye I know it's only the second day, but still...

Cause we want to! Cause we want to! 

• Like 4

Posted

i hate this time of the year.... so what if its warm and sunny sometimes, the mornings stink, they are chilly and dank. nothing to look foreward to until next spring after the horrid cold winter eases its grip.

there's nothing autumnal about the weather right now, it's sunny, calm and pleasant, what more do you want? even in a month's time it might still be 20c

So you wouldn't be bothered if it rained for the rest of September - because smelly mornings mean sunny, warm days are pointless? Weird.

spot on

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

What? 

So two days ago, it was Summer. And suddenly as soon as it hits September 1st, it's Autumn?. 

This really annoys me. I'm afraid the seasons don't work like that. Seasons don't work on calendar dates and you can get Summer weather extending right through until October in some years. 

Posted

i hate this time of the year.... so what if its warm and sunny sometimes, the mornings stink, they are chilly and dank. nothing to look foreward to until next spring after the horrid cold winter eases its grip.

Believe me, I feel your pain. We can still get Summery weather, but any real heat has gone and what we do get will be short I feel. I too am thinking about the dreaded October-April phase, but there's nothing we can do about it. 

We'll just have to feel happy that we are getting a fairly decent spell of weather now and make the most of it. It's better than the alternative. 

Edited by matty007
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Next spring is no different than now,it is generally colder on spring mornings than September...not sure what you are talking about??

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

What? 

So two days ago, it was Summer. And suddenly as soon as it hits September 1st, it's Autumn?. 

This really annoys me. I'm afraid the seasons don't work like that. Seasons don't work on calendar dates and you can get Summer weather extending right through until October in some years. 

Exactly maybe we should ban any talk about winter and snow on 1st March...that will go down a treat on here.

What? 

I recorded a max of 15c in January a few years ago and this June I recorded a max of 10.5c. That doesn't mean that January day was summer and that June day was winter. We're in meteorological Autumn now and soon it'll be astronomical Autumn too.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

So you wouldn't be bothered if it rained for the rest of September - because smelly mornings mean sunny, warm days are pointless? Weird.

how on earth did you reach THAT conclusion?

did i say wet weather wouldnt offer a smelly dank morning?

did i say the sunny warm days are pointless?

this morning, BEFORE the sun rose very high in the sky,(at the time of posting) it WAS cold, chilly, dank and smelly ... and i dislike that...

maybe because theres no autumn thread?

there's nothing autumnal about the weather right now, it's sunny, calm and pleasant, what more do you want? even in a month's time it might still be 20c

spot on

what planet are you on?... theres EVERYTHING autumnal about the weather.... whilst for a few hours during mid day it might remind you of summer, it isnt, its early autumn and todays weather is entirely in line with what youd expect in these conditions. whats temperature got to do with it?... so what if we can get 20c? the seasons are not dictated by the temperature as the temps vary within the season. 20c in october wouldnt make it a summers day, it would make it a warm autumn day, just in the same way that recent cool days in august were cool summers days, not autumn.

and the trees are turning... maple, lime, chestnut, are leading the way.

oh and 'cheese' wasnt 'spot on' because he posted an inaccurate post suggesting id said or implied things i didnt.

Next spring is no different than now,it is generally colder on spring mornings than September...not sure what you are talking about??

have you ever been outside?... can you not tell the difference between spring and autumn?  its the feel in the air, true springs are colder then autumn, but the air in spring isnt tainted by decaying vegetation...in fact its boosted by subtle scents of fresh growth with is a tonic.

i think that some of you live in a really weird world that are dictated to by temperatures and temperatures alone. life has far more to offer then that.

Edited by mushymanrob
  • Like 2

Posted

I recorded a max of 15c in January a few years ago and this June I recorded a max of 10.5c. That doesn't mean that January day was summer and that June day was winter. We're in meteorological Autumn now and soon it'll be astronomical Autumn too.

I'm not talking about solely daytime temperatures. I am also referring to night time low's which at this time are 13-15c, not Autumnal whatsoever. Aside from that, there is absolutely no feel of Autumn whatsoever to the wind. 

You're talking about January, which is well into Winter.

I think the seasons should be dictated by the weather rather than the calender date, within reason of course. I don't know why if we get warm weather a few days into September, people call it a warm Autumn spell, whereas a few days before they would call it a warm Summer period. It makes no sense. 

It would make more sense to say it was an extension of Summer rather than a warm period for Autumn. If cold weather extends into March or April I call it winter, not a cold spell in Spring. If we get cold weather in May or June then that's a cold Spring spell. You have to use reason. 

We are in an extension of Summer. Not Autumn. I've never thought of September as Autumn anyway. 

Posted

This weather couldn't be better for me, i'm delighted to say. The peak of the fishing season is September and October and I just hope the storms stay away so high pressure is welcome with open arms. Damp, cloudy, sunny, foggy, bright, dull, mild, cool.....doesn't matter a jot. Just keep the wind and rain away.

I feel sorry for the people who aren't able to enjoy this perfectly usable weather. I guess you can always just stay in with the curtains drawn.   

• Like 2

Posted

I'm not talking about solely daytime temperatures. I am also referring to night time low's which at this time are 13-15c, not Autumnal whatsoever. Aside from that, there is absolutely no feel of Autumn whatsoever to the wind. 

You're talking about January, which is well into Winter.

I think the seasons should be dictated by the weather rather than the calender date, within reason of course. I don't know why if we get warm weather a few days into September, people call it a warm Autumn spell, whereas a few days before they would call it a warm Summer period. It makes no sense. 

It would make more sense to say it was an extension of Summer rather than a warm period for Autumn. If cold weather extends into March or April I call it winter, not a cold spell in Spring. If we get cold weather in May or June then that's a cold Spring spell. You have to use reason. 

We are in an extension of Summer. Not Autumn. I've never thought of September as Autumn anyway. 

i totally disagree with you.

to start with theres more then weather types that dictate seasons... do trees turn brown in summer (and im not talking about drought stress)?  leaves are turning now.

if its weather type that you think should dictate the seasons... what about last week? was that then autumn? if so how can this revert to summer?

people call this a warm autumn spell because that is exactly what it is. just the same way months end on a certain date, summer has to too.

it might have been 'summerlike' before the clouds came, but thats all it was...summer like... looking out my window at nature that doesnt look summer like.

and what nighttime lows of 13c? tony h said he had a grass frost last night... seems like autumn to me that does!

tbh i dont know what the problem is... its autumn now, get over it.

Edited by mushymanrob
  • Like 1

Posted

i totally disagree with you.

to start with theres more then weather types that dictate seasons... do trees turn brown in summer (and im not talking about drought stress)?  leaves are turning now.

if its weather type that you think should dictate the seasons... what about last week? was that then autumn? if so how can this revert to summer?

people call this a warm autumn spell because that is exactly what it is. just the same way months end on a certain date, summer has to too.

it might have been 'summerlike' before the clouds came, but thats all it was...summer like... looking out my window at nature that doesnt look summer like.

and what nighttime lows of 13c? tony h said he had a grass frost last night... seems like autumn to me that does!

tbh i dont know what the problem is... its autumn now, get over it.

Well I'm probably determined to not let Summer go lol. I hate Autumn and Winter. 

But as I said, I've never seen September as a Autumn month. Yes the leaves are changing and even falling, earlier than usual I might add. This year it is admittedly turning much earlier, most September's the leaves are still quite green. But in my experience, September is very often very summery. What isn't helping too much at the moment is the wind direction. If we had a southerly wind it would feel much warmer. 

September rarely brings Autumnal weather, the same as March rarely brings Spring weather. They are transitional months and the previous season can cling on as it is now.

Yes, I'm hesitant to let Summer go but this is not Autumnal whatsoever to me so I still see it as Summer. And last night I had a 13c low and tonight is forecast to be 15c and Thursday possible 16c. Now that really isn't Autumn. 

Edited by matty007
  • Like 1

Posted

Well I'm probably determined to not let Summer go lol. I hate Autumn and Winter. 

But as I said, I've never seen September as a Autumn month. Yes the leaves are changing and even falling, earlier than usual I might add. This year it is admittedly turning much earlier, most September's the leaves are still quite green. But in my experience, September is very often very summery. What isn't helping too much at the moment is the wind direction. If we had a southerly wind it would feel much warmer. 

September rarely brings Autumnal weather, the same as March rarely brings Spring weather. They are transitional months and the previous season can cling on as it is now.

Yes, I'm hesitant to let Summer go but this is not Autumnal whatsoever to me so I still see it as Summer. And last night I had a 13c low and tonight is forecast to be 15c and Thursday possible 16c. Now that really isn't Autumn. 

i let summer go several weeks ago mate... like ive been banging on about, theres more to a season then temps. nature is dictating its autumn, look at the top of the forums page, fungi's , they are typically signes of autumn.  but the very fact we are getting mid teen overnight temps in september prove its normal in autumn... of course we are only 2 days in, so theres alot of summer like things going on, but it is early autumn.

just enjoy this weather, regardless of what season it is...itll be gone soon...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

23c and very pleasant here today wouldn't be surprised if we get 25/26c here on Friday.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The Autumn thread is here https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/80936-autumn-2014-forecasts-thoughts-predictions/page-9

A glorious day today here in the NE 21.2c with wall to wall sunshine and a very light SE'ly breeze

• Like 1

Posted

Exactly maybe we should ban any talk about winter and snow on 1st March...that will go down a treat on here.

That's fine by me  - I'll have given up on winter by then, there's too much light and things are rapidly heading in the wrong direction. It's now technically autumn and things are, or should be heading in the right direction so let's have less of all this extended summer nonsense.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

how on earth did you reach THAT conclusion?

did i say wet weather wouldnt offer a smelly dank morning?

did i say the sunny warm days are pointless?

this morning, BEFORE the sun rose very high in the sky,(at the time of posting) it WAS cold, chilly, dank and smelly ... and i dislike that...

what planet are you on?... theres EVERYTHING autumnal about the weather.... whilst for a few hours during mid day it might remind you of summer, it isnt, its early autumn and todays weather is entirely in line with what youd expect in these conditions. whats temperature got to do with it?... so what if we can get 20c? the seasons are not dictated by the temperature as the temps vary within the season. 20c in october wouldnt make it a summers day, it would make it a warm autumn day, just in the same way that recent cool days in august were cool summers days, not autumn.

and the trees are turning... maple, lime, chestnut, are leading the way.

oh and 'cheese' wasnt 'spot on' because he posted an inaccurate post suggesting id said or implied things i didnt.

have you ever been outside?... can you not tell the difference between spring and autumn?  its the feel in the air, true springs are colder then autumn, but the air in spring isnt tainted by decaying vegetation...in fact its boosted by subtle scents of fresh growth with is a tonic.

i think that some of you live in a really weird world that are dictated to by temperatures and temperatures alone. life has far more to offer then that.

Your earlier comment made no reference to the growing season,if leaves falling off and plants dying off bothers you then you live in the wrong country,maybe a tropical region is better for you! By the way there are no signs of autumn here,leaves are still on the trees and probably will still be for maybe 2 months if we have a nice September and October  !!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Ok - so you dislike chilly, smelly mornings - but your post suggested that  you don't care about sunny, warm weather during the day precisely because of that. That was the implication. Your exact words were 'so what if its warm and sunny sometimes' - suggesting that sunny, warm days don't matter because the mornings are too smelly. Admittedly it doesn't feel like high summer anymore, but any warm weather is appreciated - right?

Or maybe I am reading too much into your post. Meh.

That's fine by me  - I'll have given up on winter by then, there's too much light and things are rapidly heading in the wrong direction. It's now technically autumn and things are, or should be heading in the right direction so let's have less of all this extended summer nonsense.

No.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted

have you ever been outside?... can you not tell the difference between spring and autumn? its the feel in the air, true springs are colder then autumn, but the air in spring isnt tainted by decaying vegetation...in fact its boosted by subtle scents of fresh growth with is a tonic.

We know the difference between different times of year when the temperatures are the same - we just don't care. This is after all a weather forum and not a vegetation one.

I really don't understand why you're so defensive about this issue. You can view vegetation as a factor in determining whether or not it feels like summer, but others don't have to. It's all subjective. Personally, I'm sitting here at night in shorts with the window open after a catching the sun on a warm day with lots of insects around - that to me feels like summer (though it might not to you).