Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2014 thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

i've forgotten what snows looks like its been nearly 20 months since i last saw snow

Amen to another 20. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Looking like a return to summer either this weekend or early next week with high pressure and warmth building thanks to Cristobal tracking away from the UK

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Much more reasonable night time temperatures tonight. And finally should break the 20c barrier tomorrow for the first time in ages.

• Like 3

Posted

August's definitely been a month of two halves. It started here by continuing the long run of days which had maximums of >20, then it fell off a cliff and I haven't recorded a temp of 20 or above for two weeks!

As a result the mean max of this month is currently 2.2C below the average here. The last below-average month I recorded was November 2013 (2.4C below).

Edited by h2005uk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Lovely and warm tonight at 16c. Ahh that's much better. How it should be. :D and it's not uncomfortable at all.

• Like 4

Posted

Lovely BBC forecast last night for next week, welcome back summer

Posted Image

BBC weathers outlook from September 2nd to 6th

Pressure building

Mainly dry

Warmer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/feeds/28961165

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 2

Posted

11 consecutive days without hitting 16C now. Checking records far back as 1961 only August 1986, when it didn't reach 16C at all during the 2nd half, can match such a persistently cool spell  :nonono:

• Like 1

Posted

Peter Gibbs suggesting high pressure will last through-out next week though Monday could see some patchy rain around till the high gets fully in on Tuesday with temperatures possibly rising to 25c for some during the second half of next week

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/feeds/28976801

Posted

As we come to the end of summer - meteorologically speaking... I would rate 2014 overall as a good one, and certainly one of the better ones over the last 20 years, but hardly a classic.

June was good with plenty of dry sunny warm conditions whilst never becoming particularly very hot or dry. July was nearly as good as 2013 - I only rate it slightly lower thanks to lack of similar high maxima, but a very good one.

August however, oh dear another poor show probably the worst since 2008 on the temperature front with some very chilly days and nights and all too often plagued by cloud - a theme of many recent Augusts.

Up until the start of this month - summer 2014 was certainly shaping up in my view to be the best since 2006, however, due to the poor August, I would now rate it as slightly lower than 2013 - despite a much better June.

Still its been a very usable summer for doing stuff outdoors and a wonderful summer for nature, never especially dry or too hot, but also never a complete washout despite the odd very wet shortlived spell.

We can see summer conditions in September - but it never feels like the heady days of early-mid summer and like a late snowstorm in March/April you know it will be shortlived and out of place somewhat.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I think nature this year has done a lot better without that dreadful cold spring of 2013. That really set everything back. This cool August has slowed things but that's nothing on last years garden strugglefest!

For me, this has been the hottest & most sunny year (and especially summer) I have ever experienced. Winter was mostly mild, dry & sunny, spring was mostly warm, dry & sunny. Summer was extremely hot (34c) early June then settled into 25-28c daily in July before we hit the chilly (sub 20c maxes) August. As is normal here, most rain for the year came from storms in summer - so on that front great too.

And all I needed to do was move a few hundred miles east... ha.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I think nature this year has done a lot better without that dreadful cold spring of 2013. That really set everything back. This cool August has slowed things but that's nothing on last years garden strugglefest!

For me, this has been the hottest & most sunny year (and especially summer) I have ever experienced. Winter was mostly mild, dry & sunny, spring was mostly warm, dry & sunny. Summer was extremely hot (34c) early June then settled into 25-28c daily in July before we hit the chilly (sub 20c maxes) August. As is normal here, most rain for the year came from storms in summer - so on that front great too.

And all I needed to do was move a few hundred miles east... ha.

was a great Spring matey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Think this year has been a better year after last years never ending winter, yes this years winter was wet and wild, lets not do that again, but summer has been good thus far, harvest has been good for a change.

Wish for the weather you want but better we get the weather we need.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

At least this cold August killed the horrid moths.

Posted

2014 is still ahead of 2013 for me despite the rubbish August- the reason being 2013 had only 2 weeks of sustained warmth and sunshine, 2014 had 2 months. And both June and July topped 200 hours of sun, a real contrast from all those cloudy summers.

Although August hasn't been as cloudy as most of the 2008-12 ones it still felt dull compared to June and July, but the real problem with this August has been the temperatures. Nothing higher than 23C (achieved during the quite passable first week) and 3 weeks without reaching 21C is appalling for August, before we even mention several maxima of 14-16C and 24 hours of nonstop rain on Monday 25th. Compare this with July's lowest maximum of 19C. August since the 10th has been one of the coldest spells in high summer I can ever remember, along with late July 2005, early July 2000 and most of August 1993. I just cannot understand how it could be so bad after June and July- surely the seas must have retained some warmth and the pattern seemed locked in until autumn.

I wouldn't bet against September being warmer and sunnier than August again. September sunnier than August has become the norm here since 2006.

Posted

One positive from this summer is that it seems like there's been something for almost everyone. I'd have loved to have had a warm August but it looks like the beginning of September is going to give some pleasant conditions. I'd like another thunderstorm or two before we get deep into autumn but I've already been pretty spoiled in that area.  :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

was a great Spring matey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not if you're a gardener it wasn't! Everything a month behind which in the UK's short warm season means very limited crops for peppers, tomatoes & the like.

However, March was fun - did like seeing heaps of snow coupled with enough daylight to actually see it properly!

Posted

So what sort of temperatures are realistically expected in this upcoming 'mini heatwave'? There doesn't seem to be much agreement - I assume the actual temps will depend somewhat on Cristobal's exact track?

I'm in Essex and have seen forecast maxes ranging from 23 to 27 for next Wednesday. Some models are showing high 20s in the south/south-west, others aren't...

Edited by h2005uk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

twenties is the word, the highs and lows are mixed mind

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

At least this cold August killed the horrid moths.

moths arent horrid  :angry: 

• Like 1

Posted

moths arent horrid  :angry:

If they stayed outside they'd be fine but those horrid thing come inside when I let the dogs out at night.

I'm not a fan of insects in general. Give me a bird, mammal or fish anytime.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

If we look at the spring and summer combined this has been the warmest combined period for 11 years and a smidge warmer than spring and summer 2006 combination CET wise. I'm proud of what we've had by and large.

Hearing that news softens the blow of a cool August. Its not been a bad year so far for those who like warmth.

Posted

This summer will be remembered for its sustained sun and warmth more than anything else. Plenty of days across the country in the 20 - 25C bracket, but only a few of 28+

If you enjoy sun and reasonable warmth over a long period then this summer beats last year; if you prefer having a more intense period with temps regularly in the high 20s or early 30s then last year wins.