Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2014 thread

Posted

After a dreadful June and July, August is turning out better than I ever dared to hope. Why, today has been windier than anything January could muster. Long may it continue, but as these things tend to go I fear I will be paying a heavy price in October....

• Like 2

Posted

I don't have stats, but I suspect the NW half of the country is fairing much worse so far this month than the rest of the country with limited sunshine, lots of rain and cool temperatures. It has been a poor August so far here - we've had worse, but many better ones..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Well I'm enjoying the weather! :) I could cope with June and July,  just about. They didn't really feel too warm and we had a little rain thrown in. August is turning out just fine for me at the moment.

Edited by simshady
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Well it may float some peoples boats but the outlook is as dull as dishwater, completely devoid of any interest whatsoever. Thank goodness that the Spring and Summer have been nice up until now or i would be suffering from a lack of warmth and sunshine.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Well it may float some peoples boats but the outlook is as dull as dishwater, completely devoid of any interest whatsoever. Thank goodness that the Spring and Summer have been nice up until now or i would be suffering from a lack of warmth and sunshine.

Yes it has always puzzled me why when we get this type of weather all autumn,winter and into spring that there are members who want the same in summer too.They are obviously not going camping this week on their summer hols.....!!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Certainly a feel of Autumn in the air today! Lovely to be able to get some cool, fresh air through the house though.

• Like 5

Posted

Yes it has always puzzled me why when we get this type of weather all autumn,winter and into spring that there are members who want the same in summer too.They are obviously not going camping this week on their summer hols.....!!!!!!

I was camping over the weekend. Was too chilly to have a bbq last night and sit outside. Not what i would expect from summer :(

Posted

Last time I went camping it just happened to be in August. Been on the bike all day and had to pitch up somewhere/anywhere quickly, as darkness was falling. Ended up about fifty yards from a cliff edge in Fishguard, just as a 'hurricane' was blowing in off the Atlantic. Spent half the night trying to stop the tent blowing away in horizontal rain. But I loved every minute of it!!! No compromise I want wind and rain all the time, whatever I'm doing,wherever I'm going. That's cos' I'm hardcore,me. Seriously wouldn't bother me in the least if I never saw the disc of the sun again for the rest of my days.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Certainly a feel of Autumn in the air today! Lovely to be able to get some cool, fresh air through the house though.

Just wish there was sun to go with it, another afternoon of endless stratus due to a strong convection cap caused by that cool air.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

I was camping over the weekend. Was too chilly to have a bbq last night and sit outside. Not what i would expect from summer :(

Not sure where you were, i'm off Tuesday into the big outdoors for a week 'Weymouth' infact! but like you said

"too chilly to have a bbq" expecting pretty much the same 17c-18c during the day but the evenings getting chilly as soon as the sun is down

But what the hell!.....There's always the pub to stay into to keep warm :drinks:

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Last time I went camping it just happened to be in August. Been on the bike all day and had to pitch up somewhere/anywhere quickly, as darkness was falling. Ended up about fifty yards from a cliff edge in Fishguard, just as a 'hurricane' was blowing in off the Atlantic. Spent half the night trying to stop the tent blowing away in horizontal rain. But I loved every minute of it!!! No compromise I want wind and rain all the time, whatever I'm doing,wherever I'm going. That's cos' I'm hardcore,me. Seriously wouldn't bother me in the least if I never saw the disc of the sun again for the rest of my days.

Obviousley in my comment I wasn't referring to you Laserguy....you really are out there!!!!

• Like 2

Posted

Not sure where you were, i'm off Tuesday into the big outdoors for a week 'Weymouth' infact! but like you said

"too chilly to have a bbq" expecting pretty much the same 17c-18c during the day but the evenings getting chilly as soon as the sun is down

But what the hell!.....There's always the pub to stay into to keep warm :drinks:

I was near Newark on Trent. Was warm enough in the tent but i was hoping to light the bbq and have a few pints sat outside but wasnt nice enough. But as you say theres always a pub close by.

Posted

We sat out huddling around the BBQ all with coats and jumpers on as stalwart Brits will do. At least it stayed dry, but the cold winds made it rather rubbish. Today we had some decent sunshine so it felt more rather more like a pleasant May day. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

This weather is really getting on my nerves now. Endlessly cloudy and cool. 15-16c forecast for the next three days, and that's in the SE!!. 

What a terrible month this has been. 

Edited by matty007
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

I wouldn't be surprised if things settled down in a couple of weeks when the schools go back, next week should see temperatures starting to get back to around normal with a change in wind direction (westerly) but that is likely to bring rain and quite a bit of cloud

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Freezing up in my 5th floor flat today - wind is howling through although at least we're getting some sunshine but only 19c at 1pm. Most windows now closed and I'm back in my slippers. 

What a contrast to two weeks ago when I was all windows open and just in shorts. My tomatoes & peppers are looking very grumpy with it too!

C'mon weather patterns- shift into a new gear, I'm not done with the fun of summer yet!

It does feel very like early/mid April; with this NWly blowing and it being sunny but very cool.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

early strong vortex was pretty intense last autumn but not as early as now but then 09 was fairly intense vortex and would of been hard to see what was coming late 09 autumn into winter.

will this year be even sooner its possible to be honest id be happy for a early autumn maybe more excitement leading into winter ie late nov into dec.

but the models would suggest that after a not so bad summer although nothing record breaking temp wise its been very much like the summer of 08/09 although its only speculation i do feel summer is most certainly over for most of the uk perhaps the south having warmer shot but mostly a fleeting visit.

bring on early autumn 2014.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Let's look at the general picture here. For warmth lovers this has been a good or even very good summer overall. June and July were excellent summer months if you like warmth, even if August has been poor. If 2 out of the 3 winter months saw frequent cold and snowy weather we would call that a successful winter!

I am loving this August though :)

the point about this june is that the better weather wasnt enjoyed by all. several posts keep referring to june and july as 'hot and humid', in fact they simply werent. there wasnt that much humidity, and in my location....and i expect other locations... we had to wait until the middle of july before we got a 25c!

so no...i do not accept that june was a 'good' month, nor indeed early july. in fact if it wasnt for that nice 9 days mid july then the summer would be quite forgettable, its only saving grace being that it wasnt very wet.

Are you kidding me? This August (so far) has been the worst since 2011. 

While 2013 was somewhat cloudy in the second week and a bit rainy, overall it was a fairly warm (I recorded over 22 on 9 days) and often sunny affair. And although 2012 was pretty damn poor, it did record 32c and was settled in stages.  

This month, aside from the very start, has been endlessly cloudy, windy, cool and rainy. Reminds me very much of June 2012. With some parts of the UK looking at air frosts next week, that should tell you how dismal this month has been, and will be for the rest of the month unless something miraculous happens. 

This month will be remembered for being out of place in the Summer season. I've known better October's than what we have now. 

please read what i posted.

i said and i maintain that from a working perspective its smashing... its cool, fresh, rather sunny and mainly dry- fantastic to work in.  this is being the best august for a long time - from that perspective. of course its rubbish for heat.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Don't know why this August is just so bad.... To some that is!!!! Ok yes with out question definitely one for the skip as mentioned,

but some on here go on and on about the temps been so low, atm yes it's on the cool side i must admit, methinks it all comes down to the last few months

that have been good and above in regarding avg temps, but it ain't been.... terrible

in my eyes it ain't been that bad, a little rain at times but at least we've had sunshine.... terrible to me is cold grey slate skies day after day... YAAAAWWWNNNN!!

Anyway we all know what's around the corner Posted Image:yahoo:

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Don't know why this August is just so bad.... To some that is!!!! Ok yes with out question definitely one for the skip as mentioned,

but some on here go on and on about the temps been so low, atm yes it's on the cool side i must admit, methinks it all comes down to the last few months

that have been good and above in regarding avg temps, but it ain't been.... terrible

in my eyes it ain't been that bad, a little rain at times but at least we've had sunshine.... terrible to me is cold grey slate skies day after day... YAAAAWWWNNNN!!

Anyway we all know what's around the corner Posted Image:yahoo:

Sunshine wise its been ok at times, especially the last couple of days but some of those 2007-12 infill cloud days have haunted us as well. Yes June and July were above average but now is unacceptably below. 14/15c tomorrow is just stupid for mid August. You could argue its only as much below as it was as much above in June and July but it makes sense for above average to be right in Summer and below average to be right in Winter, at least from a weather interest point of view.

Breezy, cool winds and showers with no thunder threat whatsoever doesn't cut the mustard with me. Would much rather have my 30c sunshine back that we had in July please.

• Like 1

Posted

Very little, if any sunshine today and cool out in the breeze. When i was out in it earlier i thought it felt alright, by that i mean not really chilly. But then i reminded myself that it is still August and there should be a feeling of warmth when im out and about. Heat can still be a feature at this time of year so its a shame that we are experiencing conditions more suitable to late September. Rather disappointing.

• Like 1

Posted

first few days of August wasn't to bad. But of late its been pretty poor.. Cant recall a decent august.. Its so strange.. I remember growing up and having to water my dads  garden  because  it was so dry and the weather was always nice in  August.. Guess  am cherry picking the years. But  the summers always seemed better.

This summer  as been good. But not anywhere  like last year.

It didn't really turn cold until around the  3rd week in October..August wasn't great last year. But it wasn't cold.. Its gonna be pretty chilly over the next few days and that's quite disappointing.

You take what you get in the UK. It doesn't matter what time of the year it is. The weather  comes from Iceland or  from the  north  and drifts south. Its gonna turn cold

all you can hope for is that you get a half decent summer before it happens.. and 2014.. aint been to bad. Compared  to summers  prior 2013.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

This weather is really getting on my nerves now. Endlessly cloudy and cool. 15-16c forecast for the next three days, and that's in the SE!!. 

What a terrible month this has been. 

Summer 2014 has certainly seen better days. Looking a bit frail and elderly now, almost ready for its last gasps. I guess for the summer lovers this must be a sad moment....just like it is for me once we get past mid February. There's a dawning realisation that my favourite weather season is drawing to a close. Autumn just a couple of weeks away now.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 2