Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2014 thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

This weather sucks. 

Autumn weather in the 2nd week of August is absolutely shameful. 

Posted

thing is about rainfall stats, we could get a months rain in a thundery breakdown, thus the stats say average when in fact 30/31 days could have been dry.

True but that is more of an issue at the local level than at the national level.If we had a month's rainfall in a day at the national level we would be knee deep under water!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot and sunny

Matt Taylor last night on the national forecast said don't lose hope there are signs toward the end of the month we may not be done with summer just yet

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04d4dnm/bbc-weather-12082014

Matt Taylor the new Rob Mcelwee with that tease at the end :shok:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

This weather sucks. 

This week hasnt been too bad actually. Hopefully the final week of the month will show an improvement over next week which doesnt look good at all!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

first sign of autumn maybe, bbc tv weather say cold night on friday, down to 4C

Ridiculous.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

True but that is more of an issue at the local level than at the national level.If we had a month's rainfall in a day at the national level we would be knee deep under water!

ahhh good point sir!

Posted

A slow slide into late summer taking place - some would say early Autumn, but there is often a tendency for a significant improvement in fortunes at the tail of the end month and into September and there are tentative signs this could take place again this year- hopefully a bit earlier in time for the bank holiday. However, no denying how different a decent spell of 'summery' weather feels by late August compared to the heady days of late May-early August.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted

This weather sucks. 

really? it was 20c here today and it's supposed to be 21c tomorrow and then 20c on friday and saturday, 20c isn't what you would call autumnal, the charts always look worse than the reailty, and although it get's dark at 8:30pm now it's getting dark at 7 30pm in Morocco, i wonder if they think its autumn

springlike weather does happen in mid feb though 

Edited by Tony27
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

I'm not really a fan of the August and September part of the year to be honest. The weather begins to get worse, mainly in August and nature begins to look all tired and worn as it's now late summer and early autumn is quickly approaching. Yes it's nice to recieve some late season warmth and sunshine when it happens, but sunshine and warmth in September is not as nice as sunshine and warmth in June.

couldnt agree more..... if theres no heat in august, forget it, its a wretched month. the party is over, its 'boxing day', a come down, home after a holiday. all we are doing now is watching the last bits of summer die away. as you say, the vegetation is ragged, tired, lacklustre.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

thing is about rainfall stats, we could get a months rain in a thundery breakdown, thus the stats say average when in fact 30/31 days could have been dry.

Thats where the other less often utilised rainfall stats come in such as duration, rain days, etc.

Posted

The only way that is happening is in the Highlands of Scotland.

And in West Wales of course :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Yes not a great outlook for the UK nor for here. Certainly we're a few degrees up on your temperatures but in general showery, cool & unsettled. Still its been a great summer and by far the best I've ever experienced - never had such good results in the garden!

Posted

That dreaded phrase "locked in" has cropped up over the past few days - and it ONLY ever happens when the weather is disappointing. We've had a fair bit of warm weather this summer but never has it been "locked in" for the forseeable future - along comes the first real cool spell and all of a sudden there's no sign of change on the horizon, with the ghost of Bertha hanging around in the worst possible position like a turd that won't flush.

How often do you see these synoptics get locked in when its winter? The dice always seem to be loaded against us.

• Like 1

Posted

Today is 'that' day when everything conspires to mark the end of summer. The look/feel/smell/mood/atmosphere etc has entered a new dynamic - there's no looking back now. The gathering momentum of Autumn has delivered a blow which has left summer on the ropes, which may or may not attempt a fightback but which is ultimately doomed to fail. Good riddance, I say.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Today is 'that' day when everything conspires to mark the end of summer. The look/feel/smell/mood/atmosphere etc has entered a new dynamic - there's no looking back now. The gathering momentum of Autumn has delivered a blow which has left summer on the ropes, which may or may not attempt a fightback but which is ultimately doomed to fail. Good riddance, I say.

With you on that. I think the 'best' of Summer has all but gone now and you can certainly feel the change. Hopefully an early descent into Autumn/Winter.

Edited by simshady
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Still think summer has got some legs on it yet this year and whilst no heat waves it will continue high teens to low twenties for many day time for the next few weeks yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

I'm with the pair of you today, I thought the same thing when I was going to get my results. It really does seem like autumn has come early this year.

It sure does, I can no longer hear the evening songbird chirps, thats when you know its on the slide!

Posted

Mmmm August looks like putting pay to the best summer since 2006 - its a close call at the moment, but a couple of chilly unsettled weeks as looks likely will in my books rank it below last summer.

How often has August failed to flatter in recent summers - far too often.

• Like 1

Posted

couldnt agree more..... if theres no heat in august, forget it, its a wretched month. the party is over, its 'boxing day', a come down, home after a holiday. all we are doing now is watching the last bits of summer die away. as you say, the vegetation is ragged, tired, lacklustre.

I agree I never rate August - not a great fan, always think the school holiday should start a month earlier. In the Lake District it is usually one of the wettest months of the year - we enter the 'wet' half of the year and whilst we can sizzle in warm temperatures, there is an air of decline about things and waiting for the inevitable change towards darker skies ahead - oh dear I'm depressing myself, however, no denying the fact May and June are far far superior in feel, full of expectation, hope, promise, summer growth, sparkle etc etc.. take me back a couple of months please! My post is reflective of the current conditions which are preety dismal it has to be said.

• Like 2

Posted

I'd really love this summer to have a sting in the tail and dish up a heatwave in early September, with the BBC predicting temps in the low 30s and the Express predicting that everyone will be roasted alive.

The Express probably will make that prediction, but unfortunately I can't see a heatwave coming with it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

The GEFS are certainly hinting at an above average and to month for even Northern England, Met office updates lately are hinting at maybe a NW / SE split.

Posted

Certainly. Summer can put up a good fight until the end of September and even early October, like it did in 2011, but there's always that day in August when you notice that autumn is gaining the upper hand, just like there's a day in February when you notice spring gaining the upper hand.

Ye - that's exactly what I meant. No doubt there's some warm,maybe even hot days to come but the true summer 'feel' is over for this year. Not been home from work long, and I can tell you it was pretty nippy just half an hour ago. The first time since spring that the car windows were obscured with heavy condensation. Seems odd to remember just how hot August can be, given the current conditions.