Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2014 thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

Scott and I are just annoyed that this spell is ending lol. 

There was very dominant HP which is why I'm surprised it's ending so abruptly. While it won't be a washout, or cold, 22c will feel very mild in comparison to 26c+ with highish humidity. 

Also, being a weather follower for a long time now, I know August's largely since 1995 (1997 and 2003 being the exceptions) have been damp squibs and largely unsettled. The fact that this spell is ending very close to that mystic month is even more ominous. 

Edited by matty007

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Scott and I are just annoyed that this spell is ending lol. 

There was very dominant HP which is why I'm surprised it's ending so abruptly. While it won't be a washout, or cold, 22c will feel very mild in comparison to 26c+ with highish humidity. 

Also, being a weather follower for a long time now, I know August's largely since 1995 (1997 and 2003 being the exceptions) have been damp squibs and largely unsettled. The fact that this spell is ending very close to that mystic month is even more ominous. 

maybe it's true that August is not as summery as June and July? tends to be more low pressure/flabby lows though never raging zonality, Low pressure to north, high to south surely average Aug setup, bringing cool weather north of midlands

Edited by IrememberAtlantic252

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

maybe it's true that August is not as summery as June and July? tends to be more low pressure/flabby lows though never raging zonality, Low pressure to north, high to south surely average Aug setup, bringing cool weather north of midlands

Well, yes, that's how it's been recently. But technically the end of July through to the second week of August is the peak of the heat in the continent. Given the right conditions, August usually possesses the peak temperature of the year. Unfortunately, recently we've been unlucky that it's ruled by LP, it's just coincidence and a bad spell but it's very annoying. Has to change some time though and this year could be the year. Would have been more confident if this spell went into August though. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

is it coincidence or is Aug, average setup lower pressure, especially after the 20th if winds come from NW it can feel even cold oop norf surely, but still warm in South

Edited by IrememberAtlantic252

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny

Crikey - who's ruffled your feathers?! It's called the 'Summer 2014 Thread', not the 'We Love Summer 2014 Thread And The Only Folk Allowed On Are Those Who Will Gush About How Great It Is Thread'. It's great for some and horrible for others - and I do believe that it's right to be able to moan and to explain why, against the perceived, totally fallacious notion that everyone likes the heat. We could be having another 2007 right now and I guarantee that all the summer-lovers would be suicidal, and folk of my ilk would be full of ourselves - but the weather of any season does not come with guarantees.

I like your posts as they are often funny in a depressing sort of way, the problem is that if someone posted the same sort of stuff on the winter thread they would all be deleted and the poster probably banned for trolling, too much mod bias and lack of consistency on here.

• Like 5

Posted

since the week of the world cup opener we've had about 2 days with rain.

thats nearly 6 weeks of dry and often warm conditions.

last 5 days over 27 degrees.

personally its been brilliant.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

More widespread hot temperatures today with widespread 28/29c. Even Loftus on the North sea Coast seeing 26c after being plagued by low cloud all week. The feel of the heat and humidity earlier on was quite something :good:

• Like 2

Posted

I like your posts as they are often funny in a depressing sort of way, the problem is that if someone posted the same sort of stuff on the winter thread they would all be deleted and the poster probably banned for trolling, too much mod bias and lack of consistency on here.

You never once heard me moaning last winter - despite not seeing but one flake of snow. I was just happy for it to be winter, unlike many of the supposed summer-types who aren't happy if it isn't 35C and sun from dawn 'til dusk.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Let's put this into some sort of perspective.

We have had a period of weather where we've had high temperatures, sunshine, some spectacular thunderstorms...summer weather of the type we don't tend to get very often in this country, and this spell has had many benefits for many people, not to mention the outdoor trades that are dependant on good weather.

Turn the clock back a few short months to when we were getting relentlessly battered by gales/rain/gales/rain and the resulting property damage, and human misery inflicted by the horrendous weather of that time. Now that was weather to moan about because it went on and on and on...and was of benefit to no one with no redeeming features to it whatsoever.

That rubbish went on for months...the heat won't.

Edited by Carl46Wrexham
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

You never once heard me moaning last winter - despite not seeing but one flake of snow. I was just happy for it to be winter, unlike many of the supposed summer-types who aren't happy if it isn't 35C and sun from dawn 'til dusk.

Was it winter? When? On what day specifically? Was it on a day that wasn't wrecked by howling gales and horizontal rain? Winter my Arsenal!
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

In all fairness, this Summer here has been very good ,that's if you like heat and humidity, and there have been some stonking thunderstorms too as well...The models indicate a fairly big change and I think Summer is over ,that's if you like the hot stuff :rofl:  Certainly some cooler weather on the way, and the law of averages will now bow down to no more hot and humid weather...the Weather always averages things out..... :closedeyes:

post-6830-0-23303400-1406402945.gif

Edited by ANYWEATHER
  • Like 1

Posted

In all fairness, this Summer here has been very good ,that's if you like heat and humidity, and there have been some stonking thunderstorms too as well...The models indicate a fairly big change and I think Summer is over ,that's if you like the hot stuff :rofl:  Certainly some cooler weather on the way, and the law of averages will now bow down to no more hot and humid weather...the Weather always averages things out..... :closedeyes:

Cooler weather on the way but observing the 12z it still has temps in the low to mid 20s. That would still beat the highest temperature during the whole of July 2007. And for my particular location we've had 20/21c all week and that looks like continuing so no cool down here. And yes the weather does balance its self out at some point. But wheres the proof that right now will mark the transition from hot and settled to cool and unsettled thus meaning the end of summer. An unsettled spell at the turn of the month does not indicate summer over. Who saw September 2006 coming after a much cooler August?

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Another glorious day in the East; 27-28C paddling a canoe with the family round Holkham Hall lake.

Alas though, I also spotted my first demob-happy worker wasp which was more interested in my slice of Victoria sponge than slaughtering insects to take back to the larvae in the nest. And so it begins...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot and sunny

2006 things turned rubbish for 2 weeks in what was a great summer....cant remember the exact dates but i was off work grrrr,as for the weather averaging out i agree and after last winter thats what its doing now.......... but i still think mr and mrs hot n humid will make a return 8)

Posted

Trolling and mod bias?  LOL.  Laserguy  is already barred from the 'climate change' forums  (that's Net Weathers equivalent to Keelhauling) and as for a total ban Nah, Baz is our hero or anti hero if anyone prefers :D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Yep cool weather that averages the same as July!

Posted

Trolling and mod bias?  LOL.  Laserguy  is already barred from the 'climate change' forums  (that's Net Weathers equivalent to Keelhauling) and as for a total ban Nah, Baz is our hero or anti hero if anyone prefers :D

Ha - thanks! I'm banned from Serious Discussion too. Anti -hero huh? I like the sound of that, I mean where would Batman be without the Joker, King Kong without Godzilla etc?

• Like 1

Posted

gotta say I love the summer.. But  be glad to see the back of this humid weather.. Its no good for anyone. When you wake up and its like you've been in a bath.

more like summer weather in the next week. low twentys and fresher :clapping:.

If we get a good August.. it will turn out to be a  better summer than last year.. In my location of course.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think the main problem in this thread recently has been the strength of some of the moaning (which gives a depressing vibe, and can come across as "spoilsport"-esque to those enjoying the current weather) and lack of tolerance towards others' differing views (both for and against the hot weather).  Terminal Moraine for instance has a very good knack of expressing unpopular preferences in a completely inoffensive way (indeed I recall giving a couple of his recent posts reputation points, despite not personally sharing his view, entirely for that reason) so it is certainly possible to disagree in civilised ways.

I'm not sure what to make of the upcoming unsettled spell.  It's looking less likely to be of the "changeable but warm" variety that I had predicted a week ago, as the trough looks likely to end up over the British Isles rather than to the west, but once again we don't look like having a strong jet stream ploughing in from the west (a recurring theme this summer- the Atlantic has been unusually quiet as far as frontal depressions are concerned) and so a spell characterised by slow-moving thundery downpours and temperatures and sunshine levels no lower than average remains a possibility at this stage.

• Like 6

Posted

Staying very warm and humid this week over the Midlands and the south and east of England. But for western parts and indeed Scotland there could be up to a 10c drop in temperatures as a northwesterly develops. However further east we will be still under the influence of the heat on the continent. So while Scotland will see a proper breakdown, the same cant be said for all parts.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Feels horrible and cold today. Started off sunny, but now totally cloudy. Looks like a NW/SE split emerging too. Great. :closedeyes:

I never used to be bothered by sun or warmth, or lack thereof, but with each passing year, I am increasingly frustrated.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted

Definately all the hallmarks off a NW/SE split starting from today. Over here its 23c and sunny intervals. Every bit as warm as it was last week here.

Posted

Feels horrible and cold today. Started off sunny, but now totally cloudy. Looks like a NW/SE split emerging too. Great. :closedeyes:

I never used to be bothered by sun or warmth, or lack thereof, but with each passing year, I am increasingly frustrated.

I can't be more than 20 miles from you, and it's been sunny from dawn - still is. So near yet so far... how come you're getting all the good weather?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Lovely, warm and sunny here again. :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Still sunny and warm, but nowhere near as unpleasant as recently.

• Like 1