Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2014 thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Wouldn't mind a bit of north sea misty low cloud, Tuesdays setup on ECM model, in say Feb to early June screams grey days, but not sure mid-late July, have a feeling there won't be any grey skies to keep it cooler

Posted

By the way, the skin cancer argument is a red herring. That's entirely due to the strength of the sun (which is constant year-to-year) and not the air temperature. Doesn't matter if it's 20C next week or 30C, the sun will be the same strength.

I'm as white as a stick of chalk,me. D'you know,that was very fashionable with the Victorian elite - having a tan indicated that one was an outdoor peasanty type, having to slum it in the fields. But being the commoner that I am, I toil indoors and so avoid the tan anyway! I'm aware of the strength of sun business, the risk is heightened with warm temps 'cos it draws folk outside. Even I can't avoid the sun completely, and I have a mole on my cheek which definitely gets bigger in the summer, then recedes in winter. Dunno what mechanism causes that but it's something to keep an eye on. Not worried so long as it shrinks again after each summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Never understood the obsession with tans myself. Just as damaging as normal sun burn I hear?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I'm as white as a stick of chalk,me. D'you know,that was very fashionable with the Victorian elite - having a tan indicated that one was an outdoor peasanty type, having to slum it in the fields. But being the commoner that I am, I toil indoors and so avoid the tan anyway! I'm aware of the strength of sun business, the risk is heightened with warm temps 'cos it draws folk outside. Even I can't avoid the sun completely, and I have a mole on my cheek which definitely gets bigger in the summer, then recedes in winter. Dunno what mechanism causes that but it's something to keep an eye on. Not worried so long as it shrinks again after each summer.

Where do you get your vitamin D from?Am sure 80% of it you get from sunlight!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Never understood the obsession with tans myself. Just as damaging as normal sun burn I hear?

People genuinely perceive it as a healthy look when you're tanned - I tan very well for a northern European (and I mean very well, I look latino) but I generally try to avoid taking too much of a tan too often as I don't much want tolook 50 when I'm 40 personally. 

Yep, this was the case the world over (look at China and Japan for example) - it wasn't until the 20s that it became fashionable and the trend is generally traced to Coco Chanel. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Actually a lot of research has recently shown that gentle, gradual, responsible tanning may be beneficial in building up more of a natural defence against UV rays.Burning is far more dangerous.
  • Like 3

Posted

Actually a lot of research has recently shown that gentle, gradual, responsible tanning may be beneficial in building up more of a natural defence against UV rays.Burning is far more dangerous.

Fair enough. Tanning addicts will regret it a few years down the line though in terms of appearance at least!

I'll be slopping the sun cream on during this week though, I'm a burner :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Fair enough. Tanning addicts will regret it a few years down the line though in terms of appearance at least!

I'll be slopping the sun cream on during this week though, I'm a burner :(

Why people don't look after their skin is beyond me, it's an organ after all!

Edited by NorthernRab

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I tan very easily, I cannot avoid it if I'm in the sun. But I always do it responsibly and very rarely burn. I would hate to have the skin of a 70 year old at 40!

Posted

I tan very easily, I cannot avoid it if I'm in the sun. But I always do it responsibly and very rarely burn. I would hate to have the skin of a 70 year old at 40!

I suppose the positive about being a burner is that during periods like the one approaching, you don't get complacent and always wear plenty of sun cream!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I've never been a fan of tanning as I find that while some people suit tans, there are many with fair complexions where I find that a tanned skin looks out of place, although I often feel that I am odd to think this.

The arguments over hot weather on this forum seem to be shared by the UK media- I find that some media outlets still preach the "the hotter the better" mentality but a growing number of others take a line along the lines of, "22C is ideal and anything over 24C is too hot" and I do sense that summer heat lovers are starting to suffer a similar backlash to snow lovers in winter, due to increased recognition of the negative impacts of hot summer weather following dangerous heatwaves in summers 2003 and 2006 in Europe and 2010 in Russia.

I reckon that I fall somewhere in between (as is often the case with polarised debates).  I find low 20s to be most ideal, but would rather have a mix of spells in the low 20s and the high 20s for variety, and the occasional brief spell in the high teens and low 30s for novelty value, than have it in the low 20s all the time.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I don't go out of my way to tan - it just happens. Simply walking around in the sun a few hours a day, for two days, was  enough for me to get tanned recently. I have a natural olive complexion though - my father is black. My mother is very pale though. I've only  burnt once in my life - when I was a kid, in Spain, and I was getting used to the stronger sun (and it wasn't really a sunburn - more sunstroke).

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

There is nothing wrong with catching some sun however hot the day ,just keep it to mornings and later in the afternoon and never go without the cream,a bit of common sense that's all because we all need sun for vitamin d and for the vast majority of us it makes you feel good!!!!

Posted

Interesting video on the BBC weather website explaining what a Spanish Plume is and how we could get more of them in the years ahead

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/feeds/27704153

Yes very interesting and informative video, but just like most people on this forum, they seem to have forgotten(Spanish Plume) that there is a very large Continent thousands of miles long south of Spain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

very true yeah, no fun whatsoever in 30C, -30, well at least can keep warm

Really?! -30c vs 30c? -30c is severe cold and your average UK home would not keep you at a habitable 18-20c against that. I remember that freezing March - even with heating on full pelt it only made it to 18c. Imagine another 25c drop! Without some proper gear, -30c is extremely hostile to human life whereas 30c is extremely common in areas with huge population.

That's entirely possible, I'll freely admit it. But when the going gets tough in winter (fat chance), at least it's possible to keep warm. Do all you people who want the heat actually work for a living, or are you all sat around the pool necking pina coladas?

Try asking most of the populated world how they cope with heat - remember most people on this Earth live (and yes work too!) in warmer places than the UK and seem to cope just fine. I do understand the UK is not used to a bit of heat whereas most places at the same latitude (and in fact further north too) get much more of it. It's sure been interesting going through a more constant warm (but not hot) summer here - it just becomes normal instead of a sudden "oh my god its warm for 2 days lets frantically plan outdoor stuff before it turns to cack again" or (more like you) "oh my god it's soooo hot I can't cope, I'll never sleep". I think these brief plumes are indeed hard to adapt to compared to a more longer lasting thing so I'll give you that. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I come across comments like "you acclimatise" and "you get used to it" sometimes, but I don't think it's that simple, it depends on the degree of heat or cold.  

I remember that I went on holiday to Provence (southern France) in August 2010, where maximum temperatures were typically between 30 and 35C and overnight minima were typically close to 20C.  I struggled both early and late in the holiday, for while I acclimatised to some extent around the middle part of the holiday, in the meantime the heat gradually sapped away at my energy levels (the overnight minima were at least as big a problem as the daytime maxima) until my energy was depleted enough to make it a struggle.

On the other hand I feel quite confident that I could acclimatise to regular maxima of 25-30C with overnight minima near 15C (the second half of July 2006 in Leeds was quite a good test of that and I think I did well- 22nd June to 4th July 2010 in Norwich was another good example).  

But due to variations between individuals I'm sure that some will have similar difficulties at 25-30C to those that I have at 30-35C, while some of the most heat-tolerant Brits might do OK until we're talking in excess of 35C.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

Why people don't look after their skin is beyond me, it's an organ after all!

Some people don't have to take as much care. I have a lot of Melanin in my skin because I'm olive so I often don't have to apply sunscreen. The only time I've ever worn sunscreen was in 2003 and 2006  when the temperatures went over 35c, and that was more precautionary than anything else. I've never had sunburn in my life.

My mate on the other hand has very fair skin and burns at the very sight of the sun, so of course he needs sunscreen. 

Some people flat out don't take care of their skin, other's like me, don't really have to as much. 

Edited by matty007

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Always look after your skin for sure. I don't burn especially easily and tend to tan if I get a fair chunk of sun on me. I was walking on mountains (around 2000m altitude) on La Palma island just after the solstice this year... now around 2pm (solar noon there) the sun was directly overhead (85 degrees above horizon) - now that is intense radiation levels! But I did not burn as I has a hat on at all times and factor 30 applied every 2 hours to the rest of me. Got to protect yourself!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

If you struggle with heat and sleeping etc just by an AC unit..no different to buying a heater in the winter..i could quite happily live in a hot climate as long as I had AC..They are not too expensive to buy or to run and tbh in this country you would not need to use one very much...I will miss mine in the upcoming hot spell but I will cope ok.

Posted

I'm getting tempted by one here for the really hot (mins 25c type thing) nights. Not a lot of them that warm but last time coincided with when I needed to be up at 0430 to go see a client. Not fun!

Posted

We are so pampered in this country by the weather. We live in our own little bubble where 10-15c is the average. Can't believe people are moaning that 20c is too much.

• Like 3

Posted

I'm looking forward to the hilarity that ensues tomorrow, when we see temperatures getting into the thirties! :rofl:

Bliss. Shame it's only for one day then we get the inevitable British breakdown but it looks to be staying fairly warm and I have high hopes that it'll pick up again next week. 

Another plus about this spell - low winds. 

I hate having 25c or so and getting 20mph winds with it. 25c and 3-8mph wind is damn near perfect weather. 30c and 10mph tomorrow is even better. 

Edited by matty007
  • Like 3

Posted

I'm looking forward to the hilarity that ensues tomorrow, when we see temperatures getting into the thirties! :rofl:

I can understand complaining when it's in the 30's. It can be too much for many people who are used to temperatures in the high teens. Though for some reason we never hear these complaints when people are on holiday in spain, greece etc where temperatures are regularly in the mid thirties.

• Like 2

Posted

I can understand complaining when it's in the 30's. It can be too much for many people who are used to temperatures in the high teens. Though for some reason we never hear these complaints when people are on holiday in spain, greece etc where temperatures are regularly in the mid thirties.

Always my point too. 

I can understand people not liking 30c+ too as it's just too uncomfortable for some and many burn easily. 

However, I'll never be able to fathom people complaining about 22c or thereabouts. That is a universally comfortable temperature, and is room temperature too. There is no reason on Earth why people should find 22c uncomfortable. 

• Like 1