Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2014 thread

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

A couple of degrees too warm for me (21C) but I do like the sunshine and thankfully their is a good wind to take the edge off.

Posted

Its a nice wind. even though its a northerly? guess it originate from a  warm direction before it became northerly.

I've had lovely weather since Saturday. Can't complain at all!

It was nice yesterday but got a huge thunderstorm mid afternoon..

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A very blustery but day here, Gusting 21mph N/W, Temp 19c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

people who want it to rain and be cold all year.. seem to be sadists to me. They know most people want decent weather in the summer. because that's  usually the time of year the tempertures are high enough  to be able to go out without needing a coat..

So they love being akward. I find it disappointing when we get dull wet summers..

It's a difficult one, because I think there are certainly some people who try to be "different" just for the sake of being awkward, or worse still, trolling and trying to get a reaction, and this makes those of us who have genuine personal reasons for being "different" vulnerable to being lumped together with them.  Sometimes it can be very hard to tell the difference.

I've had occasional experiences where members of the general public have misinterpreted my enthusiasm for convective storms as being part of a perverse desire for it to be cold and rainy all the time to spoil others' enjoyment of summer, and were surprised when I shared their disapproval of persistent frontal rain and 13C.

The Thirsk/Northallerton area has consistently missed out on the thundery activity so far this year bar the odd rumble, but I picked up an unexpected thunderstorm at Dumfries at 8:30am on Sunday morning coming back from a holiday in Ireland.  Amusingly, the biggest thunderstorm that I had last year was also an early-morning one at Dumfries (23rd July 2013) coming back from an Irish holiday- the chances of that happening are pretty low, since I only spent a combined total of about 30 hours at Dumfries in the last two years and it isn't known for being a particularly thunder-prone location in the summer.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

For the first time this summer the met office 6 to 15 dayer outlook is using the word hot, depending on what they class as hot we could see temperatures around or slightly over 30c in some southern parts

This goes to the 23rd

From Wednesday onwards, it will be generally unsettled with a mixture of sunny spells and showers, but also thicker cloud and longer spells of rain across northern and western parts, with near-normal temperatures.

The best of any sunshine will remain in areas to the south and east, where it will feel humid and very warm at times, locally hot. However, there will also be a chance of some heavy, thundery showers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

And the max temp in this part of the world has only been 25C - and that's a rounded value. Most days have been around 21C - which is the recommended room temperature.

Max this year here is 23 deg on the 19th of may and I do believe a week from now we are half way through summer!!

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Its a nice wind. even though its a northerly? guess it originate from a  warm direction before it became northerly.

It was nice yesterday but got a huge thunderstorm mid afternoon..

Really in Leeds? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Really in Leeds? 

There was no 'huge thunderstorm' in Leeds yesterday, lol. We did have some thunder and heavy rain, but the nearest storm was over Wakefield.

Posted

There was no 'huge thunderstorm' in Leeds yesterday, lol. We did have some thunder and heavy rain, but the nearest storm was over Wakefield.

Ah I thought it unlikely :)

Posted

It's a difficult one, because I think there are certainly some people who try to be "different" just for the sake of being awkward, or worse still, trolling and trying to get a reaction, and this makes those of us who have genuine personal reasons for being "different" vulnerable to being lumped together with them.  Sometimes it can be very hard to tell the difference.

Just in case anyone's wondering, I'm a genuine one. I wish I could just tolerate sun and warmth,nevermind enjoy it. I'd be having a ball right now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

This july kind of reminds me a bit like 2001 so far and 1991 as well. Both july's had a negative qbo phase.

Could certainly turn out that way. 2001 was fairly warm from what I remember but with rain never far away until the final week.Of course in 2001, by now, I had reached 29C and had 4 thunderstorms, 2 of which came on the 4th which was a particularly thundery day after a hot and sunny opening to the month. This July has been a little more benign I feel so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Very true. Lots of different weather lovers get a hard time on here because they don't 'fit in' and don't agree with peoples perceptions of the weather they 'should' like rather than what they 'do' like.

• Like 1

Posted

An absolutely cracking Summer's day today. It's not even 12:00 yet and the tempeature is already 22C and there is not a cloud in the sky, except for a few whispy cirrus. 8)

I'm glad you're enjoying it. Gonna stay out of here now 'cos my moaning must be very tiring - just want a shoulder to cry on I s'pose, but I'd be annoyed too if someone kept popping up in a good winter saying how awful the cold and snow is! Gonna watch the rainband on the radar tantalisingly close to the east, before I have to force myself to go out for the day. I ain't looking forward to it....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

An absolutely cracking Summer's day today. It's not even 12:00 yet and the tempeature is already 22C and there is not a cloud in the sky, except for a few whispy cirrus. 8)

Not far behind you at 19.2c here in Darlington with plenty of sunshine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Autumn will eventually come don't worry. And, someone moaning about cold and snow would annoy me just as much as it would annoy you.

i will be taking up that mantle. Having spent the last 6 winters in Canada last thing I want is a cold snowy winter

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

I'm glad you're enjoying it. Gonna stay out of here now 'cos my moaning must be very tiring - just want a shoulder to cry on I s'pose, but I'd be annoyed too if someone kept popping up in a good winter saying how awful the cold and snow is! Gonna watch the rainband on the radar tantalisingly close to the east, before I have to force myself to go out for the day. I ain't looking forward to it....

Look at this every once in a while.... http://longyearbyen.livecam360.com/flash/main.php ......it's what I do to keep myself sane. :)

Edited by simshady

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

22C and sunny. Been a very nice summer so far. Let's keep it up!

• Like 1

Posted

Its 14.2C here with rain since mid-morning. The max so far is only 14.5C which is notably low for mid-July. Not very summer-like here at all.

Posted

Not very often you will here me say this. But this Summer so far here for me has been perfect, Very pleasant to be out working or doing outdoor activity's with-out getting burnt to death or heat exhaustion. 

Pretty cool temp there reef.. 21,3c here in the shade.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I expected a dull wet day today but the front has ended up slightly further east than I expected, so a dry and fairly sunny day so far with a chilly northerly breeze.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Today was a LOT better than expected. I was expecting today to be cold and overcast, but the Met Office changed their forecast about 24 hours ago to sunny spells and a high of 20C, then they changed their forecast this morning to unbroken sunshine until 7pm, with a high of 21C.

Currently 21C with hazy sunshine. Cloud has been present all day to the east, but thankfully it never encroached.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted

Really enjoying the summer weather so far, plenty of dry sunny warm days with temps between 18-22 degrees and never particularly humid, though there was a shortlived uncomfortable spell of sticky nights in late June. If it continues like this, then I will be rating it as one of the better summers of the last 20 years, whilst it wouldn't be a patch on 1995, or 2006, for consistency probably better than 2013 which saw a rather cool June and indifferent August - yes July was wonderful, but one good month doesn't make a summer.

Even if the next 6 weeks were a rain fest, its already beaten the terrible summer of 2012.

Its been preety dry in the main as well so far, especially the last 4 weeks, we've only had a couple of wet days.

Plenty of summer still to go (and yes normally the second half in the NW is far more unsettled than the first half), but we have still to hit high summer when we usually expect our warmest conditions of the year.

I do have a feeling August could go one of two ways, either hot and wet or average and wet - I think the rains will come back thanks to a renewed strengthened jet and heights locked in a position which will feed the trough directly across our shores.