Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2014 thread

Posted

The 06z uppers are nearly always above 5C and sometimes around 7-9C which is about average, I'm sure some places could see 20C+ between fronts and on more showery days if it was to come of exactly (which it won't of course). It's unsettled yes and not particularly good, but IMO I've seen worse and cooler charts in summer before.

• Like 1

Posted

Two things I hate Summertime!! Humidity and Cloudiness like today. Its just so uncomfortable. :(  When is the weather gonna cool off??

So uncomfortable?...19c and humidity c.50%
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Two things I hate Summertime!! Humidity and Cloudiness like today. Its just so uncomfortable. :(  When is the weather gonna cool off??

Are you trolling? It is not humid at all!! It is 19C and cloudy down here, feels chilly. Disgusting late June weather!

• Like 2

Posted

The next week looks absolutely dismal, just like today so far. Temperatures going no higher than 20-21C and plenty of cloud  :nonono:  :nonono:  :wallbash:  :wallbash:

Our climate is probably one of the worst in the world (Behind Scandanavia, other parts of western Europe and all tundra/polar climates)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Are you trolling? It is not humid at all!! It is 19C and cloudy down here, feels chilly. Disgusting late June weather!

Really has warmed up a treat here closing in on 24c and a little bit stuffy too.

Edited by cheeky_monkey

Posted

No worse than those who rejoice in winter south-westerlies and double-digit temps. 19c is way too warm anyway, whatever the time of year.

• Like 2

Posted

No worse than those who rejoice in winter south-westerlies and double-digit temps. 19c is way too warm anyway, whatever the time of year.

I rejoice in that because I hate cold weather.. but are you seriously suggesting that 19C is warm? We live in one of the coolest climates of a major country in the world.. 19C is not too warm  :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

I rejoice in that because I hate cold weather.. but are you seriously suggesting that 19C is warm? We live in one of the coolest climates of a major country in the world.. 19C is not too warm  :wallbash:

And SOME people hate warm weather.....and SOME people think 19c is too warm (including me). It's called having an opinion and a preference that is different from yours! ;)

• Like 1

Posted

I rejoice in that because I hate cold weather.. but are you seriously suggesting that 19C is warm?

Absolutely... perfectly adequate for lounging around doing nothing much in particluar, too warm to sleep well and certainly too warm to be doing any kind of physical work or mildly strenuous pastime. There is no 'need' whatsoever for it to be any warmer than it is today - but it'll do what it wants anyway. Me, I can't wait for the wind and rain.

• Like 1

Posted

The next week looks absolutely dismal, just like today so far. Temperatures going no higher than 20-21C and plenty of cloud  :nonono:  :nonono:  :wallbash:  :wallbash:

Our climate is probably one of the worst in the world (Behind Scandanavia, other parts of western Europe and all tundra/polar climates)

About as normal as 22/23C. Heathrow average June max is 21C, (where coincidentally I saw it reading 22C earlier, probably very average for late June), so I wouldn't quite describe it as disgusting and dismal? Looked quite nice at Wimbledon. Try here it's been overcast and 14-15C this afternoon (just had a very heavy shower) Still it's been a good June here, with 13 consecutive days of above average maxima and almost continuous sunshine up to this point. 

Normal to get days/spells like this really, London is one of the warmest spots of the UK (Heathrow is the warmest in Summer) and there's other places cooler too. As for climate, depends what you want really. I'd probably get bored of continuous heat and sun with nothing else all summer.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I'm quite confused to be honest, I thought the country (save for a few areas) is getting exactly what would be expected in June?

• Like 2

Posted

I'm quite confused to be honest, I thought the country (save for a few areas) is getting exactly what would be expected in June?

Me too, but some folk won't be satisfied until there isn't a cloud in the sky and it's 35c everyday for six weeks without a break.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Well firstly its been a good warm June and secondly as i posted in another thread, low pressure will always come close to the UK during the Summer, even its an overall warm, dry and sunny one. So the outlook is by no means unusual or especially bad for this time of year. Its just not what many had hoped for for the start of July. It would be nice for a potential heatwave to start showing up on the charts. And thankfully its not like you have to follow one from t+384 to t+0. They can pop up and develop quickly.

• Like 1

Posted

Didn't 2004 and 2005 have wet and cool spells in July after warm Junes then fantastically hot Augusts? Can see the same pattern again emerging.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Didn't 2004 and 2005 have wet and cool spells in July after warm Junes then fantastically hot Augusts? Can see the same pattern again emerging.

To a certain degree yes, but there were some notable differences between the months.

In 2004, the first two thirds of the month were dry, fine and warm to very warm before the Atlantic barged in at the solstice and set the tone for a largely unsettled July. It then settled down at the end of July when a heatwave developed into the first third of August. Thereafter, it remained warm until the closing days but also very wet.

In 2005, June got off to a slow start warmthwise but improved rapidly during the second half with a notable heatwave around the 18th. After a brief break at the turn of the month, July 2005 was also warm/hot and sunny until the final week when it was cool and wet. August was varied across the country but certainly in our neck of the woods it was dry, sunny, warm and hot around the 16th-18th and 29th-31st with a brief low-pressure dominated period in the penultimate week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

It has been quite dry here this june and when the sun has shone it has been lovely although we have only had a handful of days above 20 deg and a max of 23 but similar to last august we have not had 2 days alike ,too much cloud,too many days with very little sun and today no sun at all !

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

August 2004 was a horrid month heavily impacted by tropical systems engaging with the jet, it was wet and humid. 

August 2005 was not unlike this month but a little cooler. Relatively dry but nothing special.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

GFS showing a cold night on Sunday for some this is the maximum temps

Posted Image

Minimum temps

Posted Image

Temps soon recover during the day which sets up a warm week for most some rain or showers at times temperatures could begin to fall at the end of next week depending on where the low positions its self

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Plenty of dry weather to come between Sunday and Wednesday, even Thursday in the south. So plenty of opportunity to get out and about.

• Like 1

Posted

but you cant do anything about it.

why worry?

today was meant to be dreadful an although it hasn't been the warmest of days we had a few showers and its lovely and sunny now.

calling the weather pathetic is a bit ridiculous when you think about it.  How can you change it?

• Like 2

Posted

yeah but you can't do anything about it.

literally nothing.

it can be disappointing but why people set their mood around the weather is a bit beyond me.  there are positives (unless you have an outdoor event planned) sit in and do something you enjoy knowing you are not wasting your time.  Because you are certainly wasting energy on wishing the weather was better.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

I'm afraid it's the all familiar story. Nice spring but as soon as you approach and get into July (which should be the hottest month of the year) the temperatures and sun amounts take a nosedive, with the exception of last year, where coincidentally we had a poor spring. This Summer is looking ominously like it could shape up like 2011. Albeit it's very early to tell. 

I can't see us getting another spell like July of last year that's for sure. But things can change, seems unlikely to me though. This last 11 months has been very notable for it's high minima but low maxima. 

My gut is still telling me we'll see the best of the weather in late July and August. 

Edited by matty007

Posted

i''m afraid that means nothing to me :)

you obviously know your weather but being a imby we've had over 2 weeks of great weather which i've thoroughly enjoyed.  It broke down yesterday and i enjoyed sitting indoors watching the football.

Other people get a bit prissy about the weather which i understand but i love all aspects of it.

• Like 1

Posted

to me its all a bit too much.

i can deal with short term stuff but long term seems to be just pointless.  It never verifies to what people say and i don't see how people can interpret charts in different ways.

i look at the sky and the radar for my weather.

BUT i do appreciate others longer term outlooks and their interpriation on the weather.