Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2014 thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I remember Manchester having quite a dull run sunshine wise relative to most other parts of the country during 1999-2001 (at least judging by the stats for Ringway in Weather Log) so these quirks do happen.  The Aberdeen area's dull run appears to have been rather longer-standing though.

2003 sticks out as one good example of a summer when the Aberdeen area had greater positive sunshine anomalies than most other parts of the country.  If I remember rightly August 2003's total at Dyce (Aberdeen Airport) was more than 40% above the 1961-1990 average 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Not really anything to do with latitude but more the position of the high. Stuck out to the west it is just allowing endless cloud to spew over the top of it and down the eastern side of the UK.

We just never seem to get favourable summer synoptics any more. This part of the country seems to come out with below average sunshine all the time except last summer and even then the surplus was smaller than in most other parts. 

Indeed, right now the high is to blame. I didnt make it clear in my post but just to show your Northerly latitude will sadly continue to suffer with cloud than most of the rest of us for more of the time.

Posted

Not really anything to do with latitude but more the position of the high. Stuck out to the west it is just allowing endless cloud to spew over the top of it and down the eastern side of the UK.

We just never seem to get favourable summer synoptics any more. This part of the country seems to come out with below average sunshine all the time except last summer and even then the surplus was smaller than in most other parts. 

Yes, its been relatively poor here in the east over the last week or so and unfortunately a pattern that has been resident for most of the spring and now early summer. Indeed, in the 111 days since March 1st the wind here has had an easterly component on 62 days so far. The only real positive is that with winter being so mild the North Sea is pretty warm relative to average so it has kept the sea fret off.

Don't get me wrong the weather of the last week hasn't been bad at all (indeed, very 'usable'), but we've been firmly stuck below 18C while areas further west have come off more favourably.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

Been a good June all told thus far. Temperatures hovering around 22 degrees and some prolonged amounts of sunshine. 

As a lover of June, this year has delivered for the most part and it's pretty much looking settled until the end of the month. Hope this trend continues into July, with some hot temperatures. 

Edited by matty007

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

Pity the Sun wasn't shining on the Three Lions though :) 

Still, this weather is great for the WC. Long nights chilling in the garden with a cold beer and some WC action :) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Disappointed with today's weather tbh. Reached 22C, but not as sunny as originally forecast. Lots of random cloud bubbling up along the Pennines, drifting east and remaining in situ most of the evening. Reminds me of last year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Disappointed with today's weather tbh. Reached 22C, but not as sunny as originally forecast. Lots of random cloud bubbling up along the Pennines, drifting east and remaining in situ most of the evening. Reminds me of last year.

You are lucky ,just 19 here and you are just a few miles away!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Clear blue skies as usual here. Was a little cloud yesterday morning but that's been it all week. Really has been pretty much non stop sun for 2 weeks now down here almost. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Sunny here this morning although the satellite imagery suggests a lot of cloud further north so it may need to break up before it gets here if I am going to have a reasonably sunny midday/afternoon.  At this time of year, though, it's quite probable that it will break up to some extent.

Posted

July is a warmer month everywhere on average, but for sunshine and rainfall it depends on what area of the country.  Traditionally, July and August are associated with a stronger jet stream and stronger Azores High than June, resulting in stronger westerlies, which bring an increased frequency of cloudy and wet weather to western Britain, but sheltered eastern parts of the country can end up slightly drier on average as a result.  

The tendency for July to be sunnier than June over the periods 1971-2000 and 1981-2010 in central and eastern Britain is a consequence of numerous anomalously dull wet Junes and sunny dry Julys in the 1980s and 1990s.  Over the 20th century as a whole, and also the 1961-1990 period, on average June tended to be marginally sunnier than July even in eastern Britain.

Thanks for this post - my post did have a slight NW bias to it, must be said. Your right the stats certainly show on average at least in the NW quarter of the UK (N/NW/W/SW Scotland, N Ireland, NW Eng and N Wales), June is sunnier and drier than July, but certainly cooler. The atlantic tends to be quieter in June following its spring sleep but stirs into action in July, when westerly and southwesterly airstreams often hold sway, whereas atlantic influences in June can often be associated with cooler drier airstreams from NW/N with a less strong Jetstream.

July in recent years apart from 2013, 2006 has been a thoroughly wet affair with some shockingly wet ones here such as 2004, 2009, 2012. However, we definitely see on average our highest temperatures in July, usually at some stage in the second half of the month and as 2006 and 2013 proved, it can be a wonderous month on occasion.

A word on today, another lovely perfect summers day, blue skies fluffy cumulus light breeze and comfortable temperatures on the longest day of the year - can it get any better..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I think this is been a magnificent summer so far. Mostly sunny, dry and pleasantly warm temperatures. Plus I got the best thunderstorm I've ever seen in the UK.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Tad too warm and humid for me so far, not going to be good is July or August for me.

Posted

I think this is been a magnificent summer so far. Mostly sunny, dry and pleasantly warm temperatures. Plus I got the best thunderstorm I've ever seen in the UK.

Its been quite reasonable so far. No washouts or really cold days, and one storm which is good for here these days. Not bad for sun, a bit too much pesky cloud the last few days but much better than most recent summer months. The only let-down has been the lack of really warm days, nothing higher than 24C despite several 21s and 22s. Not hit 25C in June since 2011, and heading for the 3rd consecutive year, and 4ththe out of 5, when June has a lower absolute max than May

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

This summer so far has been decent for UK standards. 20/22 days above 20C this June, normally June is dodgy and it isn't until July that we see sub 20C highs disappearing. Average high so far for this month is 22.3C which is slightly above average.. most days have been between 21-26C which is comfortable, but the lack of any hot days has been the only let down. 162 sunshine hours so far, so we'll probably end up slightly above average with that this month as well with about 230.

Overall it is acceptable by UK standards. 

Posted

although it a bit boring at the moment with just average temps about 21c .I cant really complain at this summer, very usable weather for cycling in comfort for example, and have seen 2 decent storms, one over my location, and the other I had to drive a 20 mile round trip to see it over liverpool way, but it was dusk and easy to see the lighting

its lack of any real heat so far thats been an issue, but I wont turn my nose up at these comfortable temps we are having

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

It would be nice to get some higher temperatures approaching the high 20s just as its notable summer weather. But as another poster has said, its only June and the good summers of 1983,1990 and 1995 all had rather iffy Junes so were not doing too bad. We have lost the muddy ground as well now and its alltogether more summery than it was at the very start of the month.

Posted

Another awful weekend here with more of the same as been suffered for the past 11 days. The summer solstice weekend truly is the most consistently poor of the whole year. Since 2005 only 2009 has been dry and sunny the rest have been almost completely overcast, like this one, rendering the extra daylight completely useless.

Just when is this boring anticylconic gloom going to end? 2nd only to early June 2007 as the worst summer high pressure I can recall. Since the 12th it's been as depressing as 2012 with just 26 hours sunshine compared to 73.8 hours in the first 11 days. It's hard to distinguish one day from another - just the same cloudy rubbish day in day out. The only difference is the drizzle has pepped up over the last few days giving 1mm. An abysmal summer month :nonono:

Posted

Over on the model thread it's been stated that the breakdown will come at the end of next week. Typical this happens for the Glastonbury goers but from an IMBY perspective this is not good news for me either as I have a golf weekend in Essex Saturday and Sunday.

Looking at the GFS precipitation charts there does not look to be tonnes of rain around though for the weekend (unless I'm reading things wrong). Would anyone with a bit of knowledge care to make a forecast for Essex and SE for next weekend please?

From a hoping to be dry golfer.

Posted

A lovely weekend is emerging - perfect summer conditions in my book - I'm not a lover of heat, low 20's maxima suits me fine combined with blue skies and a light breeze, keeping active doesn't become a discomfort, yet such weather is also perfect for lazing around.

July and August traditionally delivers the UK hottest conditions and are often far more humid than June, with increased risk of thunderstorms.

Last night was a real treat, perfect conditions for the longest day, it doesn't get any better, the Lake District looks stunning at the moment! The hazy skies and deep set green landscape has yet to set in, but will do very soon....

• Like 3

Posted

went for a little bike ride at 10.00am this morning, it was still cloudy, and just being in a t shirt it started to feel a bit chilly, with the air moving over you faster than normal,  the sun was very limited,  maybe 5 minutes worth over an hour, 

Posted

I think June, July and August are statistically about as thundery as each other, averaged nationally, although there is some regional variation.  I don't know the precise reasons but guess that the greater heat of July and August may be offset by a higher frequency of westerly types, as opposed to slack cyclonic types, during unsettled spells, as traditionally westerly types tend not to produce as much thunder.

In recent years, Western parts have had the best weather in the UK in June, so it is not unusual for western areas to see better weather earlier than eastern areas, it certainly happened last year as well.

Later in the summer, there is a role reversal.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Certainly in the last 10 years, May and mid-late August/early September have been the best thundery periods imby. 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2011 and 2012 all featured good thunderstorms in May, the same years (bar 2008) also with thundery Augusts, especially 2004 and 2012. I do well out of rPm or slack unstable S-SWerlies here in North Somerset, both of which are common in May and towards the late summer. Plumes can also bring fireworks such as 4th July 2001, 24th & 28th June 2005, 28th July 2008 and 23rd July 2013 to name a few but they're increasingly rare these days. One thing I like about my location is that there is still a sufficient possibility of thunder in the winter from unstable westerlies.

Posted

25c today. Hot in the sun which was out for most if the day. Glorious!

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Think its been a decent june this year,of all the summer months since June 2007 june 2014 has definatly been one of the better ones imo, im sure in the top 4 or 5 summer months since then for my location anyway from what i can remember,although i know that would not be too difficult. Ok no July 2013 type heat but no June 2012 washout either. Plenty of sunny weather this June with many days here hitting at least 20c which is good enough for me.

Edited by sundog
  • Like 3