Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2014 thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Well IF ECM comes off this morning for next week the heat will really be building and the storms will be coming would easily get 30c for the south at times next week with some very warm night as well

For London Tuesday to Friday next week ECM has

28c

30c

29c

26c

Overnight lows are 16c to 20c

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

One of the worst June days I can remember in a long time. 

Extremely wet, grey and only 13c. Absolutely dismal. 

The ECM's prediction for a warm, settled week next week seems to be backed up by the GEM. The GFS on the other hand is suggesting a milder, more unsettled week with low pressure being quite close to the UK.

At that distance I'd put more faith into the ECM and GEM. GFS past four-five days is very unreliable. 

Saying that, the ECM said Saturday could be 25c+ and dry, and it looks as if it'll be around 20c and wet. 

• Like 1

Posted

I think every model is like anything really - they have their time to shine, but on the other hand they sometimes fail epically.

I would agree; I would put more faith in the ECM and GEM at the moment, but that doesn't mean we should just rule out and ignore the GFS because it's not suggesting our weather preference. We should just use it as a bit of a caution at this point.

True Scott. 

I'm just ignoring the GFS at this stage and putting my faith in the ECM haha. Looks very nice indeed. It did forecast heat next week even a few days ago so the chances of it are climbing.

I want a hot and dry June for once, especially with the world cup approaching, that forecast ties in nicely. 

If June continues anything like this, I'm emigrating. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Greatest risk of showers / thunderstorms looks to be on Saturday according to the beeb by Sunday they expect the shower risk to diminish

Friday sees the warm and humid air making its way to the UK for most it should be dry and humid I wouldn't rule out somewhere in the London area getting to 26c

Posted ImagePosted Image

For Saturday showers and Thunderstorms will be more widespread with it feeling quite humid, by Sunday we should begin to see more in the way of sunshine with temperatures in the high teens for the north and low 20's in the south though the odd shower can't be ruled out given the humidity

Posted Image

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

Today reminds me of a horrible flashback to June 2012! Thankfully this is a blip.

• Like 1

Posted

Yes, 3 June 2012, the maximum temperature was a pathetic 9C here.

I remember days of 11 and 13c in the middle of the month!

Posted

A dreadful, dreadful month it was. I can't wait for Saturday! Hot, humid and thundery - certainly better than this freezing Atlantic crap.

Is the BBC weather website downplaying the temperatures on Saturday? Only shows a max of 20c for me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Reminds me of the world cup in Germany,2006.They had unusually high temps in the first week of 30+ degrees and we had a pitiful 12 deg!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

I have experienced an ice day in June and 3 inches of snow in the middle of July...lightweights!

• Like 1

Posted

Reminds me of the world cup in Germany,2006.They had unusually high temps in the first week of 30+ degrees and we had a pitiful 12 deg!!!!

Yet, we had one of the hottest summers ever!

Posted

I knew Canada had exceptionally cold winters, but I also thought it was generally very warm in the summer - warmer than it is the UK, that's for sure.

in fact in Alberta summer temperatures aren't to different to southern England...although its a lot drier and sunnier..but can be very stormy with some huge summer storms you wont ever see in the UK..but its no myth that it can snow in any month of the year..the only month I have not seen it snow in Canada is August but it does happen.

Posted

Today wasn't quite as horrid as I was expecting. The forecast was for rain all day with a high of 13C but it's been dry bar a light shower this morning and wonders of wonders the sun even started to break through in the afternoon, allowing the temperature to reach the dizzy heights of 15C. 

Looks like the rain ended up more south than forecast; the opposite happened here on 13th July 2012 (which was a Friday, naturally) when a band forecast for the Midlands ended up further north and gave us a washout day with a high of 14C - the nadir of a ghastly "summer".

A minor victory.

Posted

Today wasn't quite as horrid as I was expecting. The forecast was for rain all day with a high of 13C but it's been dry bar a light shower this morning and wonders of wonders the sun even started to break through in the afternoon, allowing the temperature to reach the dizzy heights of 15C.  Looks like the rain ended up more south than forecast; the opposite happened here on 13th July 2012 (which was a Friday, naturally) when a band forecast for the Midlands ended up further north and gave us a washout day with a high of 14C - the nadir of a ghastly "summer". A minor victory.

I took a timelapse today and it was a lot better than some other areas.Today's weather timelapse
  • Like 2

Posted

Very messed up weather.

Sounds good to me. Snow possible during all months of the year!

Posted

Today wasn't quite as horrid as I was expecting. The forecast was for rain all day with a high of 13C but it's been dry bar a light shower this morning and wonders of wonders the sun even started to break through in the afternoon, allowing the temperature to reach the dizzy heights of 15C. 

Looks like the rain ended up more south than forecast; the opposite happened here on 13th July 2012 (which was a Friday, naturally) when a band forecast for the Midlands ended up further north and gave us a washout day with a high of 14C - the nadir of a ghastly "summer".

A minor victory.

I think we had it here in Wales instead.  12C max and rain most of the day - pretty much like January, only without the wind and a few degrees warmer!

Sun out now though and a pleasant evening, so hopefully a sign of things to come.

Posted

A dreadful, dreadful month it was. I can't wait for Saturday! Hot, humid and thundery - certainly better than this freezing Atlantic crap.

Humid is certainly not as good an outcome as cool and wet. Some people like to sleep at night.
  • Like 1

Posted

Pleased Friday, Saturday and Sunday are better than the weather we've had recently, but a bit disappointed that it won't be the great heat we were lead to believe. 

Fridays max is 20c, Saturday at 21-22 and Sunday at 20 again but wet. The wind's a bit higher than I'd like it at those temperatures too. 

Just looks like a humid and cloudy/wettish spell to me. Still, could be a lot worse and will be nice to get some sun and reasonable warmth again. 

Edited by matty007
  • Like 1

Posted

Still looking very nice for the end of next week and the weenkend though. Mid twenties + I'd say. 

Posted

Sunday looks quite dry at the moment and next week, the ECM has high pressure building from the South West.

True. Got my day's mixed up. Monday looks wet for me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I just want some nice heat! (like 25c+ haha). Sure we'll get some this month though. 

Posted

True. Got my day's mixed up. Monday looks wet for me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I just want some nice heat! (like 25c+ haha). Sure we'll get some this month though. 

temps between 20-24c with wall to wall sunshine and a nice breeze is perfect summer weather for me... too hot just means increased humidity and uncomfortable conditions...low humidity is the key high temps and low humidity in this country are a rare beast.

• Like 1

Posted

temps between 20-24c with wall to wall sunshine and a nice breeze is perfect summer weather for me... too hot just means increased humidity and uncomfortable conditions...low humidity is the key high temps and low humidity in this country are a rare beast.

We're all different I guess. Me personally, I don't like a breeze when you've got temperatures around 20c. It's unnecessary and takes the temps down to 17c or so. Especially out of direct sunlight. Now, If it's around 27c then a 10mph SE/S wind would be quite refreshing. 

My perfect weather is about 26-28c with a 5-10mph S breeze and about 50-60% humidity. 

Humidity will be nice at the weekend as it will make it feel warmer than it really is. if you're looking at 30c temps then no, you don't want much humidity.  

Different preferences I guess, but 20c and a 10mph wind is too cool for me. 

• Like 1

Posted

GFS is looking very tasty for the end of next week. 

Posted

Posted Image    Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Looking forward to next week. Ideal set up for providing warmth to us on the east coast so a trip to the beach shouldnt be too chilly. Low 20s in Bridlington as opposed to mid to high teens today with an onshore breeze.