Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2014 thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Not a cloud in the sky all day here and a nice high of 23c. Same tomorrow and Sat except maxes go to 26-27c. Perfect stuff!

• Like 1

Posted

Not a cloud in the sky all day here and a nice high of 23c. Same tomorrow and Sat except maxes go to 26-27c. Perfect stuff!

Ye whatever. Absolutely bleedin' awful.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

was thinking nottingham does not suffer from north sea misty low cloud, doesn't as much as Staffs and Shrops anyway, but then saw your location

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Nottingham suffered from the North Sea muck loads - especially in spring & early summer. 

To say the weather is better at this location is an understatement... even after the poorer August its been a lovely year of weather! Gardening has been great - I've been eating 4 big sweet yellow peppers per week for 2 months now and no sign of them slowing. Last year in Nottingham I got 3 in total by time the plants succumbed to cold in early October. And last year I used a greenhouse - this time they're exposed completely! And so many chillies... so many...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

Nottingham suffered from the North Sea muck loads - especially in spring & early summer. 

To say the weather is better at this location is an understatement... even after the poorer August its been a lovely year of weather! Gardening has been great - I've been eating 4 big sweet yellow peppers per week for 2 months now and no sign of them slowing. Last year in Nottingham I got 3 in total by time the plants succumbed to cold in early October. And last year I used a greenhouse - this time they're exposed completely! And so many chillies... so many...

You lucky bugger!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Might as well give a review of the summer from my view point.

June - 6/10

Reasonable month consisting of two distinct longwave patterns, the first being a strong Euro/Scandi high which we were on the edge of, which resulted in warm south/south westerly winds along with a few thundery outbreaks, the second half being the reverse with a dominant Atlantic ridge which brought a much drier spell which lasted until the second week of July. Overall the month was slightly drier, sunnier and warmer than normal.

July - 8/10

There were 2 bad days in July for my location, bringing temperatures in the mid-teens and non-stop rain. This was pure bad luck as places 20 miles to the west of me were very warm and sunny. Before then there was near average temperatures and drier than normal conditions with the Atlantic ridge prevailing. The second half was dominated by heights to the East which built mid month, firstly through a potent Spanish plume which evolved into a weak high over Scandinavia which brought a week of very warm weather after the thundery spell ended. 

Worth noting the plume event was the best I have seen in many years with thunderstorms on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, the ones Friday night brought an immense lightshow and the Sunday development was very localise but was extremely violent with 2.5 inches of rain falling in around an hour or so accompanied by lots of CG lightning. Strange how my region recorded above average rainfall when in reality it rained on just 4 or 5 of the days that month. 

August - 3/10

Poor poor month with a lot of cool, cloudy weather aside from the first week which was reasonable. This was finished off by the write-off that was Bank holiday Monday where it rained all day. Below average temperatures, poor sunshine amounts and above average rainfall means that summer 2014 ended on a sour note.

Overall score - 6/10

Pretty average summer with some decent weather mixed with poorer moments (particularly August). In the end I called for a pattern dominated by heights to the East of the UK with the UK benefiting from this at times. In some respects this was accurately portrayed, but in the end the equal dominance of heights to the west of the UK means that I was out in that regards. 

That's all, lets see what Autumn throws at us, and of course start looking towards winter.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

So was that the much hyped "RETURN OF SUMMER!!!" ??

What a grubby period of stuffy, grey dreariness

Let's have some crisp, sunny autumnal weather now please

Indeed,rotton mostly cloudy dull warm humid muck. Ah well there where plenty hyping it all up last week. Looking forward to some cooler brighter days over the weekend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Meteorological summer may have ended, but astronomical summer persists until September 23. It depends on how you define the seasons.

debate appears every year about season start dates, I say seasons start on 1st of month, 1st Mar, 1 June, 1st Sep, 1st Dec

22nd of those 4 months are equinoxes (mar and sept) equal day and night length, and shortest and longest days, Dec and june, not start dates of seasons

Summer Here

June 8.5 put of 10 a lovely summer month with plenty of sunshine and warmer than last year as well. Sunnier, Drier and Warmer than Average,

June 9 out of 10, after a damp start, the remainder of the month was very dry indeed (excluding the 31st) and with plenty of sunshine and warm temps, a very good summer month. Sunnier, Drier and Warmer than Average,

August 5.5 out of 10, A much cooler summer month, and wet at times especially the first, drier and a bit sunnier in the 2nd half, but still noticeably cool. Sunnier, Wetter and Cooler than Average.

Overall 7.67 out of 10, rounded up to 8/10, would take this for most summers.

Edited by J10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Meteorological summer may have ended, but astronomical summer persists until September 23. It depends on how you define the seasons.

If you call it Extended summer as well as extended Winter then you are down to 2 seasons!!!

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Its here in West Wales, past 4 days a warm 22c plus along with over 8 hours sun on 3 out of these 4 days :)

If you call it Extended summer as well as extended Winter then you are down to 2 seasons!!!

Extended Summer is May to September and Winter Nov to March, although I think I am the only person who has heard of this concept!

Edited by TonyH
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Its here in West Wales, past 4 days a warm 22c plus along with over 8 hours sun on 3 out of these 4 days :)

Extended Summer is May to September and Winter Nov to March, although I think I am the only person who has heard of this concept!

In these parts we can get snow at the end of October and in may and we all know march can hit 25 deg and October can be warm too!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Certainly not. I think of spring as being March 21st - May 21st, summer May 21st - September 21st, autumn September 21st - November 21st, and winter November 21st - March 21st. As such, spring and autumn really are the transition seasons between the longer winter and summer. Obviously May has the longer daylength of summertime whereas September retains the temperatures resemblant of summer. Equally, November is as dark as January whereas March can also deliver winter, hence my reckoning of the extended summers and winters. What happens in spring and autumn really is a mixed bag.

This is of course a personal reckoning, so I don't think it's recognised by too many.

Posted

You didn't have to. To be fair it was me that started it. I just meant that anymore posts that were about defining the seasons should go in the thread I linked to. :)

No worries - I just 'moved' my post to that thread. :)

I've previously commented on the long runs of days I recorded this meteorological summer with maxima of >20C, so I'm now going to 'name and shame' the days which had maxima of <17C:

04 Jun - max 14.5

16 Jun - 16.2

29 Jun - 15.7

10 Jul - 15.8

11 Jul -  15.6

25 Aug - 16.2  

26 Aug - 16.2

I don't know why I chose 17C - I just think anything below that is very poor in the south-east for a summer's day. I don't think seven 'very poor' days out of the 92 days of summer is too bad though.

Edited by h2005uk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

indeed, but to be fair to those ramping up the summers return, the charts did look like they would produce a decent summer like spell.

Posted

No offence but why is still a summer thread and its not even summer any more?

:nonono:

Been wondering the same thing for oh, six days now. If we're squabbling about when summer ends, can we assume that this thread will be officially put to rest on Sept 21st or at the very latest Sept 23rd (equinox)? Great - we can concentrate on the serious business of winter then. And why the hell is September such a tedious month, weatherwise....?

• Like 1

Posted

Believe me winter can be a highly tedious affair too.

• Like 4

Posted

The purpose of this thread still running is for people to post their reviews or summaries of how summer went. Same applies for all four seasons. The thread will fade naturally when there's no more to say.

27c here today - and sunny too - deffo summer weather!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow

indeed, but to be fair to those ramping up the summers return, the charts did look like they would produce a decent summer like spell.

True but it shows that sometimes one should be careful about what one wishes for. I personnally didnt want any return of summer like temperatures as it already had its chance ,so the cloudy dull muck i got for most of the week only added insult to injury.

A lovely clear,cooler of late morning here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny

No offence but why is still a summer thread and its not even summer any more?

:nonono:

Last winters thread is still open and people were still posting on it until April, so if that wasn't closed straight after winter ended there is no reason at all to close this one.

• Like 4