Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2014 thread

Posted

The figures for the summer here are looking decidedly close to average overall with just 11 days to go. The figures so far:

Mean Temp: 16.3C (+0.4C)

Rainfall: 177.4mm (102%)

Sunshine: 543hrs (96%)

August only has to finish 0.5C lower than it is at the moment (16.5C) to be the coolest since 1993. Its also already the 5th wettest of the last 35 years.

Posted

Late afternoon sunshine here, seems to often happen here, cloud melts away as the afternoon progresses. It happened yesterday

Yep, the sun came out and stayed out pretty much as soon as I made my previous post. Moan and ye shall receive it seems!

But what a horrible morning it was.

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted

A distinct autumnal feel to things today - despite plentiful sunshine and very light winds, temps only got up to 15 degrees after a chilly start. We have very cold uppers at the moment - the bonus sparkling visibility with none of the haze we normally associate with August skies, but yes it felt more like a mellow late September day.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Past 3 days maxima all below 16c, that has not happened in my record during August before: 15.7c, 15.2c, 15.2c. That with not much rain and some decent sunny spells at times, quite remarkable, more akin to late September!

Edited by TonyH

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Another nothing sort of day. Cloudy skies, temperatures in the mid teens. Just rubbish.

Posted

Must say we are going through a great spell of weather at the minute, nice and cool around 16-18c although would like it a bit cooler.

A welcome change from the sweaty humidity of July.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Must say we are going through a great spell of weather at the minute, nice and cool around 16-18c although would like it a bit cooler.A welcome change from the sweaty humidity of July.

agree with that, but I live in a prime location for rain in the next 2 days, I would like it cool and dry, not wet

• Like 1

Posted

Must say we are going through a great spell of weather at the minute, nice and cool around 16-18c although would like it a bit cooler. 

It's about as good as it gets for August, especially considering how bad things could be right now. Looks like the incoming rain is about 2 hours from me. My, I am being spoiled!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

Well, this weathers just got beyond the joke now. 'High' of 16c today, endlessly cloudy yet again and pretty high winds. Doesn't even remotely feel like Summer. 

I'm going to say it......this is the worst August I can honestly remember. Yes, I've known wetter August's such as 2008 but for a whole picture of bleakness, this August takes the biscuit. Not one redeeming feature. And it's looking to be the coldest since 1993 (a year after I was born) so my assessment of it is obviously close to the truth. I don't mind a month being cloudy, if it's at least partly warm. I don't mind it being cooler, if it's suitably sunny. This month has nothing and is a insult to the Summer season. 

Thank god I'm going to California at the end of the month to get away from this complete rubbish. Sunny from dawn to dusk everyday, low winds and temperatures around 26-30c. Bliss. 

A week ago I was dubious, in case September came to save the day as it often has. But even that looks out the window now. I am afraid my fellow Summer lovers that our beloved season is over, may get the odd day over 20c but nothing of any note. It's over. 

Edited by matty007

Posted

Well, this weathers just got beyond the joke now. 'High' of 16c today, endlessly cloudy yet again and pretty high winds. Doesn't even remotely feel like Summer. 

I'm going to say it......this is the worst August I can honestly remember. Yes, I've known wetter August's such as 2008 but for a whole picture of bleakness, this August takes the biscuit. Not one redeeming feature. And it's looking to be the coldest since 1993 (a year after I was born) so my assessment of it is obviously close to the truth. I don't mind a month being cloudy, if it's at least partly warm. I don't mind it being cooler, if it's suitably sunny. This month has nothing and is a insult to the Summer season. 

Thank god I'm going to California at the end of the month to get away from this complete rubbish. Sunny from dawn to dusk everyday, low winds and temperatures around 26-30c. Bliss. 

A week ago I was dubious, in case September came to save the day as it often has. But even that looks out the window now. I am afraid my fellow Summer lovers that our beloved season is over, may get the odd day over 20c but nothing of any note. It's over. 

Yes its a bitter pill to swallow but i think you could be correct. I was listening enviously to a guy at work yesterday who swans off to SE Asia just as the clocks go back so he can skip that long drawn out period up until Christmas. Oh how i wish i could do that too.

I do think that people have been lulled into the false belief that Autumn is already here. September is not much cooler than June and although the days are shorter we can still see some pleasant summerlike conditions.

Posted

I do think that people have been lulled into the false belief that Autumn is already here.

Oh it is - you've only to look out the window to see that.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

Yes its a bitter pill to swallow but i think you could be correct. I was listening enviously to a guy at work yesterday who swans off to SE Asia just as the clocks go back so he can skip that long drawn out period up until Christmas. Oh how i wish i could do that too.

I do think that people have been lulled into the false belief that Autumn is already here. September is not much cooler than June and although the days are shorter we can still see some pleasant summerlike conditions.

I agree, September can be lovely and can see temperatures nearing, or even upwards of 30c. I am somebody that still sees September as a Summer month, but this year I think we've been dealt an early Autumn. Of course a settled and warm spell is possible but nothing in these charts gives any indication of that. Obviously things change and we could see some warm air from the continent moving up, while that will happen at times I feel it will be a very short affair. 

I honestly don't see a sustained settled and warm/hot spell happening. Low Pressure and the Atlantic will take hold. 

Edited by matty007

Posted

Suppose a cool August after a warm June and July is nothing new. It happened several times in the first half of the 20th Century.

http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~taharley/centralengav_temperat.htm

Posted

I don't get this "we can't complain after June and July" argument. You'd think we've just had a repeat of 1976 the way a lot of people are talking about it. As it is the first two months of summer were in the "good" category as far as I'm concerned. I'm obviously not complaining about that, but it's not enough for me not to be bothered about August disappearing down the autumn drain. August 2006 was a poor month but it didn't nearly bother me as much as this one, because I really was spoiled up until then. This year simply hasn't been as good, and it will be an average summer at best if August doesn't pull a rabbit out of the hat before month's end. Posted Image

Posted

Well I'm still feeling rather fed up... Sunshine levels in Somerset have helped reduce the level of grumpiness but there's been no evenings sitting out like last year since July. I'm of the opinion that summer ends on 20th September so August is only halfway through. 

I went to Norway a few years ago in late August, and this is the weather they normally get. Maybe I should move to Catalonia.

Posted

Iz August really still summer? does not feel like it, and every year it gets cooler at the end, I'm not happy, in fact I'm quite sad talk of ground frosts, now that is autumn

last time Aug was summery was '03

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Other parts of Europe have struggled with temperatures this august as well, so were not alone on this at all.

Indeed the heat this August has stayed in southern Europe

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

I'd say that this summer is on par with last year's. June 2013 was quite poor and June 2014 was very good. July 2013 was excellent and July 2014 was also great and August 2013 was okay.

And with the "can't complain argument", you have to remember that we are in the UK, meaning that low pressure is always a threat at any time of the year. We have had a very good spring and a very good June and July, meaning that we've had five anticyclonic and warm months, which is pretty good for the UK. Don't forget we could have just had another summer 2007, 2010 or 2012.

I still feel that in the end we will end up with a slightly better than normal summer, except for the middle/end of July, the rest of the summer has been ok until the 2nd week of August and since then we have seen temperatures between 3 and 6 degrees below normal which is poor.

To put it in perspective of a winter from a coldies point of view

December would have seen a couple of northerly topplers and a few quiet chilly and foggy spells.

January would have been similar to 2013 with a notable cold spell and snowfall for a good part of the month.

February would have start fine and chilly and then descended into the Bartlett express. Would coldies be happy with that for a winter.?

Actually scrap that point after last winter  :rofl:

Posted

August has been quite reasonable here for the past 2 years so it is more than capable of producing something resembling high summer i.e along the lines of 1995,2003. It just seems that the Atlantic has been quite dominant in recent years thus limiting the opportunity for the full potential for August to be realised.

• Like 1

Posted

Sept is often warm, I remember a hot feeling tropical evening last year on the 21st, felt very unusual while dark

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

And that's exactly where it should be!

So the cold should stay up in the Arctic circle/Scandinavia then by that logic :p

• Like 1

Posted

So the cold should stay up in the Arctic circle/Scandinavia then by that logic :p

northerly outbreaks or southerly plumes, which one wins out on average :p

• Like 1

Posted

trouble is it does most of the time, we are an Atlantic island, dominated by Atlantic air from Nov to early Mar, heat is way more likely than cold

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Indeed the heat this August has stayed in southern Europe

South of the Alps recently. Southern Europe has been quite toasty in the low 30s.

Edited by cheese