Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2014 thread

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Yes some very long sunny spells have developed here this afternoon, Temp 19.2c

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The long run of fine summer weather continues here in Saffron Walden, temperatures have not been average or below for over 3 weeks now here.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

This summer seems to have been shades of 2010 to me (sunnier though). Of course we could get a warm end to August unlike 2010.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

This summer seems to have been shades of 2010 to me (sunnier though). Of course we could get a warm end to August unlike 2010.

NO....it has little resemblance in these parts and you are not far from me,June was a good month that year but ended up being a consolation to the poor july and august !!!!

Posted

NO....it has little resemblance in these parts and you are not far from me,June was a good month that year but ended up being a consolation to the poor july and august !!!!

July was different hence the sunshine comments but the general warm July and June before a cool August looks possible. It's also been a humid July.

Posted

Cant grumble with this summer at all... past 4 days apart from  rain today its been pretty nice. tomorrow is suppose to be ok also.. ontop of  a good July..and hopefully some nice weather coming in the 2nd 3rd week of August. Its been  a nice summer.. Last year was better. But  summer 2014 as been pretty good.

• Like 2

Posted

Cant grumble with this summer at all... past 4 days apart from  rain today its been pretty nice. tomorrow is suppose to be ok also.. ontop of  a good July..and hopefully some nice weather coming in the 2nd 3rd week of August. Its been  a nice summer.. Last year was better. But  summer 2014 as been pretty good.

It just goes to show how different it is here in the hills than a few miles away in leeds,I would say that it has almost if not has been better than last year already .Last year had 3 very good weeks in july but the rest was cloud,apart from those 3 weeks we did not have 3 wholly sunny days in a row !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think that around Thirsk/Northallerton, June/July 2013 was a closer match for June/July 2014 than 2010.  Both Junes were quite dry and anticyclonic here but with close to average sunshine (whereas June 2010 was a sunny month) and both Julys were warm and sunny with rainfall totals raised close to average by a few heavy downpours in an otherwise dry month (unlike July 2010 which was a cloudy month with relatively frequent and light rainfall).

However it's possible that, while Augusts 2013 and 2014 started off similarly, the rest of August 2014 might bear a closer resemblance to August 2010.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

I would actually argue that this Summer has been better. 

A warmer and more settled June. A almost as warm July, but a better July in my opinion because of the storm activity, and August is about on par. Sure, I'd still take last July's long settled spell over this year's, but because this year's has been stormy and humid, and June was warmer, I'd say this Summer has been better. 

Posted

A warmer and more settled June. A almost as warm July, but a better July in my opinion because of the storm activity, and August is about on par. Sure, I'd still take last July's long settled spell over this year's, but because this year's has been stormy and humid, and June was warmer, I'd say this Summer has been better. 

Maybe it is me but why is it all you warm weather lovers out there who love a long hot summer are not happy unless you get lots of thunderstorms??...Not very good for the barbecue or wedding!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

Maybe it is me but why is it all you warm weather lovers out there who love a long hot summer are not happy unless you get lots of thunderstorms??...Not very good for the barbecue or wedding!!!!!

That is true, in a way. The good thing about this year is that they were typically at night. And also I had quite a few that were dry storms, no rain. 

It's not that I'm not happy unless I get thunderstorms, they're just a very nice bonus. As long as the weather settles afterwards, I'm happy. Which is another good thing about this July. We had a lot of storms, but the heat picked up again afterwards. Much better than last year when it completely broke down, and the storm was rubbish anyway. This Summer has had some of the best storms I've ever seen. 

I'd still take a July 2006 or August 1995 over anything though. 

Edited by matty007

Posted
Th

It just goes to show how different it is here in the hills than a few miles away in leeds,I would say that it has almost if not has been better than last year already .Last year had 3 very good weeks in july but the rest was cloud,apart from those 3 weeks we did not have 3 wholly sunny days in a row !!

The first coupla weeks of June last year made it a better June  than this year IMO.. July was definetly better last year..July last year was superb.August wasn't all that great..But we don't seem to get any  decent  Augusts these days.. But if the second half of August turns out good. Then I would go as far to say this summer  as been better.. But right now its not been.

Posted

August so far has started on a poor note here - despite a fairly decent day on Monday. We were battered by endless rain for 3 days Friday-Sunday and very supressed temperatures - had this occurred in the SE no doubt we would have heard about it...

Today saw heavy rain this morning and the outlook is very mixed - once again August could live up to being another poor one.

Posted

Theres been regional differences  from the south east and eastern part of the UK from my part of the UK. I know ive mentioned it a  few times in this thread. But the start of June  2013.. The high was centered more to  the west and we had  10/11  lovely days. while  the eastern part of the uk was under  cloud that came off the north sea and made it cooler there.

June was fairly nice here  but  very cloudy on occasions and it started of wet.The high was probably centered more to the south of the UK so made it warmer and sunnier further south.

July was very nice for most of the UK. July 2013 was warmer   I think the stats will show that country wide.. Though I would take July  2014  every July.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

This summer has felt very humid in general, making rather modest temperatures feel much higher.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I don't get that impression when reading through posts in the model output thread- a fair number express a desire for sustained settled weather and thunderstorms tend to be infrequent if it is settled (even if it is hot).  Thunderstorms rely upon deep instability and anticyclonic weather tends to result in a strong cap on convection.  But there are certainly numerous members who do prefer a hot, sunny and thundery summer over a hot, sunny and very dry one.

Posted

However August pans out, 2014 is a better summer than 2013 in these parts. June and July both made 200 hours sun and below average rain. 2013 was 2 good weeks in July and 3 fine days and a thunderstorm to begin August- the rest of the time it was mediocre. 

What has been really noticeable about this summer is the lack of cool days. July didn't have a maximum below 19C, and had no sunless days, a real contrast to the weeks of 18C grey nothingness we seemed to get during those 2008-2012 summers. June was pleasant too, it didn't have any really hot days but lots of low 20s with sun. While June 2013 was much cloudier and even the sunny days often failed to make 20C. August has begun similarly- despite the unsettled synoptics it's reached 21C every day so far, and the sun has always come out at some point. Not like June 2012 for instance when the same patterns meant 14C and permanent cloud, when it wasn't raining.

And another feature of this summer- no North Sea Muck on the Welsh border. We haven't had any of it, none of those days of shivering at 15C under grey skies when the forecast was 25 and sunny, not knowing whether it's going to eff off at 10am, 3pm or midnight the following Friday. 2013 by contrast it reached epidemic proportions, especially during June. This I think is a major factor in this year's high sunshine total, and lack of low maxima.

Edited by Summer of 95

Posted

It could be better, but the weather hasn't been too bad of late. Just a couple of days ago today was forecast to be a washout but it's been sunny and humid, with the heavy rain fortuitously passing through overnight. Tomorrow is looking decent too.

Just the one real stinker so far since the weather turned, and that was the 1st.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cloudy in summer, sunny in winter.

The last 2 days temps have gone up defenitly, night time temps have been unbearable again.

4 august night temp in room with doors and windows open to outside 22.6C

6 and 7 august 26.2 degrees yes this is night time temp.

by the way those 2008-2012 summers were great for me I found them way more pleasant.

Edited by chrcoluk

Posted

I don't get that impression when reading through posts in the model output thread- a fair number express a desire for sustained settled weather and thunderstorms tend to be infrequent if it is settled (even if it is hot).  Thunderstorms rely upon deep instability and anticyclonic weather tends to result in a strong cap on convection.  But there are certainly numerous members who do prefer a hot, sunny and thundery summer over a hot, sunny and very dry one.

Netweather is never unified under one weather type, people love to complain. Though I'm certainly one who prefers dry and anticyclonic from May-July even if I've looked like a cool lover this summer due to avoiding the humidity.People also at times berate those who like extreme weather due to the fact that there's been flooding ECT..

Posted

You'll never get unanimous agreement on whether a season is good. Here for example the weather has markedly improved in the last couple of weeks since the wind switched from the east to the west and we've finally actually managed to get some thunderstorms. Likewise I hear 2010 mentioned a lot as a poor summer (which it was in the west), but here it was warm and dry with sunshine slightly above average.

Its certainly been a humid summer though, only 24 days have seen humidity below 60% and just three (!) below 50% so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

What is interesting in this area is that (Thorney Island) my nearest station had a higher maximum and average temperature for July 2014 than July 2013, whilst I was in the Netherlands during the 21st-26th, when Thorney Island achievied 28-29C for 3 days in a row, the weather was the same over in Rotterdam, and yet I'd still rate July 2013 higher, the sunshine amounts were higher, as was the number of days above 25C. I think the reason for the higher maximums was that at the start of July, temperatures were warm whilst they were quite cool at the start of July 2013. 

Edited by 95 Degrees

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

yet another 25c+ day again today

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

yet another 25c+ day again today

Same here - I take it your in Chelmsford? here on the coast you'd expect some cooling but we've had plenty of 25c days over the last week or so even when the synoptics hasn't looked like delivering so. Going to turn out a very warm summer!