Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2014 thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

I'm skint.

my point is you wouldn't do without heating or a boiler in winter if you were freezing

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

28.1c and rising.

Posted

Its been a very different summer here close to the east coast so far compared to areas further inland. Take today for example, many areas are in the mid-20s yet here we're currently at 18.6C with a max of 19.7C.

The lack of any very high maxima has been a notable feature of this summer here so far. Indeed, in 2014 only 8 days have surpassed 23C and the absolute high temperature is a mere 25.2C. If this were to be sustained until the end of the year then it would be the 3rd lowest in 35 years. Only 1993 and 2007 have featured lower high maximums. Still a long way to go though.

Don't get me wrong, its been pleasant, but the constant easterlies have made it a very different experience here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Its been a very different summer here close to the east coast so far compared to areas further inland. Take today for example, many areas are in the mid-20s yet here we're currently at 18.6C with a max of 19.7C.

The lack of any very high maxima has been a notable feature of this summer here so far. Indeed, in 2014 only 8 days have surpassed 23C and the absolute high temperature is a mere 25.2C. If this were to be sustained until the end of the year then it would be the 3rd lowest in 35 years. Only 1993 and 2007 have featured lower high maximums. Still a long way to go though.

Don't get me wrong, its been pleasant, but the constant easterlies have made it a very different experience here.

You do get a lot of cool breeze off the coast but today is the hottest we have had this year at 24 deg,have had 5 days at 23 deg so you have beat me there!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

If the latest 3 month forecast taking us into October from netweather is right the run of warmer than average weather shows no signs of ending

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=longrange;sess=

Llysdinum in Wales has the UK's highest temperature today hitting 29.6C

Its cooler for parts of the east coast where the cloud has stayed all day but you don't have to travel to far inland to get the sunshine and warmth

Posted Image

Just 17c at redcar where as here in Darlington we are in the low 20's with the sunshine

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

If the latest 3 month forecast taking us into October from netweather is right the run of warmer than average weather shows no signs of ending

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=longrange;sess=

Llysdinum in Wales has the UK's highest temperature today hitting 29.6C

Its cooler for parts of the east coast where the cloud has stayed all day but you don't have to travel to far inland to get the sunshine and warmth

Posted Image

Just 17c at redcar where as here in Darlington we are in the low 20's with the sunshine

Yep. This warm weather isn't going anywhere for some time :)

• Like 2

Posted

my point is you wouldn't do without heating or a boiler in winter if you were freezing

Oh, I would. Boiler came free with the house anyway. Can't afford an ac 'cos the missus has spent this month's budget on sun cream, a garden parasol and a crate of Liebfraumilch. Maybe a month from now and it'll all be over anyway.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Yep. This warm weather isn't going anywhere for some time :)

hope it goes away, models look cooler from Sunday

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Yes..fresher air incoming hopefully. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

True. There will be a couple of cooler days but a similar outcome of that recently is what I'd bank on. A semi breakdown and then building heat afterwards. The ECM and especially the GFS are very unreliable at that distance. All you can go on is the pressure system at this current time, and it's a stubborn one. Can't see a notable nose dive happening for a couple of weeks really.

This is perfect Summer weather, and I for one hope it lasts as long as possible.

Edited by matty007
  • Like 6

Posted

If August goes the same way as June and July have, then I have to say we've had an excellent summer. Let's just hope that August doesn't live up to it's usual reputation of ruining a great summer, like it did in 2006.

Time for the Atlantic surely, Aug is usually the most Atlantic dominated of the 3 months, waiting for the Atlantic to arrive now, at least Sunday cooling off

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Time for the Atlantic surely, Aug is usually the most Atlantic dominated of the 3 months, waiting for the Atlantic to arrive now, at least Sunday cooling off

After last winter I think the Atlantic has been banned until Autumn 2015.

• Like 6

Posted

As the other's have said though, it looks like Sunday will just be a temporary cool down before the warmth returns next week. Anyway, now's not the time for the Atlantic, we've got all autumn and winter for that.

well we all know the Atlantic will dominate from Nov to mid Mar, it's our normal pattern/default pattern

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Thundery or Cold & Snowy

Hottest day of the year so far today by 0.3c and the second day this year with 80F being breached, quite unusual in that there was a strong easterly breeze throughout the day yet it almost touched 28c but still it was pretty much a perfect mid-summers day here couldn't ask for better! Hoping for the same the next 2-3 days before it cools down a touch. 

Some convection tried to get going this afternoon but didn't quite manage it however Saturday could be one to watch for this area as well as much of central souther parts as it looks a very similar set up to the magnificent storm fest we got during the 14th June during the early hours of the morning so fingers crossed we may get at least a few rumbles saturday night. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Hopefully the atlantic will awaken in the next few weeks and smash end this summer weather for good.The days are coming good ridance to it

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Hopefully the atlantic will awaken in the next few weeks and smash end this summer weather for good.The days are coming good ridance to it

I guess you booked your summer holidays in Alaska and not Tenerefe

• Like 1

Posted

I think you need to lighten up and enjoy the weather. another scorcher today.. :yahoo: .plenty more to come..  still  august and  hopefully get a  good September  also :clapping:

• Like 3

Posted

I think you need to lighten up and enjoy the weather. another scorcher today.. :yahoo: .plenty more to come..  still  august and  hopefully get a  good September  also :clapping:

Well I'm with ncikos - there's nothing about this time of year to enjoy and the sooner this summer, well any summer really, 'does one', the better. I think we should close this thread right now and leave it in the past, concentrate instead on the darker, happier times just around the corner.

• Like 4

Posted

I'm with nckios as well, but think models are wrong, especially GFS keeping it fresher all of next week, the most realistic setup would be heat building from tues, expect GFS to trend towards this

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well I'm with ncikos - there's nothing about this time of year to enjoy and the sooner this summer, well any summer really, 'does one', the better. I think we should close this thread right now and leave it in the past, concentrate instead on the darker, happier times just around the corner.

The grey and wet weather of Autumn, no thanks..........

• Like 2

Posted

sooo you enjoy the gales in winter?  65mph winds and  bucketing with rain?  to weather where you can sit out in the garden? :fool:..

Posted

Each to their own, to me the last few days have been a touch too warm and muggy. The up side of that is how pleasant it is to be able to sit outside in the evening.

This month is certainly one of the warmest in the past few years, back to 2010 but a long way off getting close to 2006.

Posted

sooo you enjoy the gales in winter?  65mph winds and  bucketing with rain?  to weather where you can sit out in the garden? :fool:..

Yup - love it love it love it. That parasol the missus wasted money on the other day is actually a dual-purpose piece of apparatus...

• Like 1

Posted

I'm not exactly sure how a parasol can stand up to 65 mph winds. If it can, it must have costed you a bleedin' fortune.

Flying machine perhaps :)

• Like 1