Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2014 thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

Yeah, looks like there will be a brief cool-down on Sunday to the low-to-mid twenties, but then the heat builds again next week. Furthermore, some of the models are hinting at the possibility of this very decent weather to go right up until early August, but it's still a bit foggy at the moment.

Yeah, the charts are looking good. I can see it being similar to July 2013 but for a shorter time. I think we can be fairly certain of temperatures in the mid twenties for a good week yet. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

Good, good, good. I certainly think this is better than that useless Atlantic rubbish! I really hope it holds up!

Yeah it's great. 

Many were just calling it a Spanish plume that would give us a couple of hot days and then back to rubbish but it's looking much more positive than that. It's not as stubborn as last July was and a little more unsettled and cloudy, but it's going to hold on for a while yet. Lasting into August is certainly fairly likely I'd say.  

• Like 1

Posted

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post but what sort of temperatures are likely to be seen on the south coast, Bournemouth area in particular next week. Gfs indicating temps of up to 30 around Southampton mid week..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I find it difficult to complain it's too hot after you've experienced 40C+ in Egypt and your flip flops melt....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

I remember July 2 years ago in Antigua with temperatures in the 30s every day and about 27/28C by night and the humidity was unreal! The sun was near enough directly overhead and your skin would sting from the heat as soon as you went into the sunlight... The humidity was the worst though and the constant breeze did nothing to relieve it! However I got more of a tan in one day there than I would an entire summer here lol

However despite experiencing that I still find this country can get uncomfortable on the odd few days each summer!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Guys..we must remember that there are all sorts of different reasons why people do have an aversion to heat and humidity and are not as young, fit and healthy as you are through no fault of their own..and yes, the same goes for winter lovers too. Being smug about how much heat you can endure isn't very mature. :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Humidity is definitely higher in the UK than here. Mostly its dry warmth 24-27c which is damn near perfect. 

The exception is storms. The other week a storm came and an hour before the dew point shot up to almost match the temperature (27c) - felt like I was drowning! Then it went boom.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

What a lovely day, warm, slight breeze; too much cloud cover up here though.

Still hoping for one big Summer blast where we can actually get a 30c here on the Wear, I don't think they make them anymore. Arthur Scargill will have reclaimed Labour by the time we get 30 here.

Posted

In Leeds for the weekend, 24.c here. 

I'm not fussed if its 24 or 34 as long as its sunny.

Been out tanning most of the day and feels blisteringly hot, probably exacerbated by the oil i'm using.

Posted

Guys..we must remember that there are all sorts of different reasons why people do have an aversion to heat and humidity and are not as young, fit and healthy as you are through no fault of their own..and yes, the same goes for winter lovers too. Being smug about how much heat you can endure isn't very mature. :)

Indeed, perhaps people should stick to discussing the weather and not whether people 'should' be able to endure it. At the end of the day people have different circumstances which makes different weather desirable or undesirable.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Some people don't have to take as much care. I have a lot of Melanin in my skin because I'm olive so I often don't have to apply sunscreen. The only time I've ever worn sunscreen was in 2003 and 2006  when the temperatures went over 35c, and that was more precautionary than anything else. I've never had sunburn in my life.

My mate on the other hand has very fair skin and burns at the very sight of the sun, so of course he needs sunscreen. 

Some people flat out don't take care of their skin, other's like me, don't really have to as much. 

That was sort of my point - I've got an olive skin tone as well and despite never burning, it's not a good idea tanning excessively as it will still drastically age your skin over the years.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

I am 54 but look 44 :) always sit in the sun not used lotion in 25 years mind you generally the top stays on these days!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

I understand people complaining if it is 30C.. but people complaining about 20C as heat just LOL

Been outside tanning.. this next week actualy looks nice though

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

I am 54 but look 44 :) always sit in the sun not used lotion in 25 years mind you generally the top stays on these days!

While genetics will of course always play a huge part when it comes to intrinsic aging, it's certainly proven that the sun plays a huge roll. Perhaps you'd have looked 40 haha

• Like 1

Posted

Having a go at people because they prefer warm weather isn't mature either, in fact it's downright obnoxious. Complain about the weather all you want, but I don't understand some who complain about the people enjoying warm weather?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Having a go at people because they prefer warm weather isn't mature either, in fact it's downright obnoxious. Complain about the weather all you want, but I don't understand some who complain about the people enjoying warm weather?

Yep. It's really very,very, silly. And childish. :) Edited by simshady

Posted

Enough now, back to summer discussion please.

There's a profound effect from the sea breeze again here today with quite large temperature differences over short distances. At 15:00 the temp at Hull East Park was 26.1C yet here just 4.4 miles away slightly closer to the coast the temp at the same time was 23.5C.

I expect the effect will be even more significant tomorrow as the wind strengthens, with places inland reaching 28-30C while we sit here at 20-22C.

Posted

Maxed out 26.3 here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

29C here.. also max of the year so far.. normally we would have had higher by now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Just 26C here, had higher a couple of weeks ago. Had a lot of cloud for much of the day, much sunnier now with a gentle south easterly breeze.

Tomorrow though.... looks a different kettle of fried fish.

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

just got home ,checked the temp thinking for sure it would be the highest but no once again 23deg we have had 4 days now at that temp inc may 19th!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Marham topped out at 25.5C at 14:00. Just too much cloud.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

South west London hit 29.1c today making it the hottest day of the year so far 

Tomorrow could hit 33c (91f) somewhere in the London area, 30c (86f) almost certain to be hit

Posted Image

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Right on the coast at Scarborough it was a lovely day despite temps maxing out about 20c The strong sun and light winds making it feel very pleasant. But I will echo what has already been said that soon as the sun goes behind the buildings it does get a tad chilly. Add 4/5c onto the daytime high and the warmth sticks round for longer into the evening. More time to remain in shorts and tshirt.