Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2014 thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

At this time of year, I would prefer the non stop Atlantic stuff, trouble is non stop Atlantic stuff only really exists from Nov to late Feb

Where it belongs - in the dismal part of the year!

And yes it is a shame the wet weather its the weekend when I'm sure many (inc myself who is in Nottingham for a bbq) have outdoor plans after being stuck inside most of the week!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Level 2 heatwave alert issued by the met office

Issued at: 1105 on Wed 16 Jul 2014

There is a 60 % probability of heatwave conditions between 0800 on Friday and 0800 on Sunday in parts of England.

The highest temperatures are likely on Friday (good confidence) then a very humid night to follow. Heavy thunderstorms in eastern areas on Saturday will lead to slightly lower maximum temperatures, but it will still be very humid. An update will be issued when the alert level changes in any region. Alerts are issued once a day by 0900 if required and are not subject to amendment in between standard issue times. Note that the details of the forecast weather are valid at the time of issue but may change over the period that an alert remains in force. These details will not be updated here unless the alert level also changes, the latest forecast details can be obtained at the following link: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/heat-health/#?tab=heatHealth

The regions with this alert are: West and East Midlands, South East England, London & East of England

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Hard to believe some models and forecasts were going for 25-26C here today.. it hasn't even reached 22C and it's completely cloudy, lol. More of the same to come I'm sure.

Edited by cheese

Posted

Hard to believe some models and forecasts were going for 25-26C here today.. it hasn't even reached 22C and it's completely cloudy, lol. More of the same to come I'm sure.

No idea what it is outside but I've recently got in from work,closed the doors and shut the curtains, and I can tell you right now I'm melting. Wish it would all stop. It's gone cloudy alright which is a good thing, but the rain which I was so looking forward to has,predictably, done a runner.  What a craphole.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

No idea what it is outside but I've recently got in from work,closed the doors and shut the curtains, and I can tell you right now I'm melting. Wish it would all stop. It's gone cloudy alright which is a good thing, but the rain which I was so looking forward to has,predictably, done a runner.  What a craphole.

Not too bad here at the moment...bit of rain cooling the air and I have several stout fans dotted around the house to combat the oncoming heat...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

You know you soon acclimatise.. Working from home I can just work in shorts and since its always warm and sometimes hot with no 'cool' days there's no loosing how used to the temperature I am.

In the UK warmth and especially heat is so rare that no wonder when it does hit people struggle. Very glad I'm coming home on Friday to 30c or so - I've not had to wear trousers for over a month and I'll be damned if i'm doing it now!

Cool and overcast today but looking very warm and humid for the next week or two starting tomorrow....it looks awful. The autumn gales and winter blizzards can't come soon enough.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Cool and overcast today but looking very warm and humid for the next week or two starting tomorrow....it looks awful. The autumn gales and winter blizzards can't come soon enough.

You live on the summit of Snowdon?

Posted

You can say that again,and again,and again.... won't be long now, I keep telling myself. Be strong! We are entering the darkest hour.

• Like 1

Posted

It was the warmest day of the year so far here with a max of 25.2C, the first time we've reached 25C this year in fact.

Friday looks to be the warmest day at the moment, it'll be interesting to see if the onshore breeze keeps off for two reasons: one is for the novelty value of higher temps and the other is so that the thunderstorms on Saturday don't get killed off here. Its been a remarkably thunder-free summer so far in this neck of the woods despite places 20 miles to the south and west (Lincs especially) getting hit quite a few times.

It was the warmest day of the year so far here with a max of 25.2C, the first time we've reached 25C this year in fact.

Interesting, looks like Hull East Park nearby (<5 miles) was warmer on the 12th than today 25.8°C vs 25.3°C (from hourly values). Seems you may have had a bit of a breeze from the east.

Edited by Interitus

Posted

If the heat is so good why is the news awash with health warnings on how to cope, and advice to avoid skin cancer etc? Does that make smoking a good thing,too? And as it's so damned unpleasant as well, I can only conclude that all you hotties are clinically insane. Sorry, but that's the truth.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

If the heat is so good why is the news awash with health warnings on how to cope, and advice to avoid skin cancer etc? Does that make smoking a good thing,too? And as it's so damned unpleasant as well, I can only conclude that all you hotties are clinically insane. Sorry, but that's the truth.

The same warnings are given out during cold spells......

Just saying 

I've grown tired of how extreme cold is fine, but even very warm conditions are totally unacceptable. 

Worst thing is, I am as big a cold ramper as anyone else during the winter, so don't bat this away as a "generic mildie comment"

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 3

Posted

Interesting, looks like Hull East Park nearby (<5 miles) was warmer on the 12th than today 25.8°C vs 25.3°C (from hourly values). Seems you may have had a bit of a breeze from the east.

Yes, the mean wind that day was 6mph E which was just enough to reduce the max temp to 24.7C.

Its a common factor here in warm/hot spells, temperatures are generally lower if there's any easterly element to the wind. Its pretty common too, the last time I recorded a temp above 30C was back on 15th August 2001 when we hit 30.4C, so nearly 14 years now! July 2006 (29.9C) and June 2011 (29.7C) were close though.

Posted

In winter people die of hypothermia and severe frostbite and the News are telling us how to avoid that too. Doesn't that make those like you, who want bitingly cold winters clinically insane too?

That's entirely possible, I'll freely admit it. But when the going gets tough in winter (fat chance), at least it's possible to keep warm. Do all you people who want the heat actually work for a living, or are you all sat around the pool necking pina coladas?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

That's entirely possible, I'll freely admit it. But when the going gets tough in winter (fat chance), at least it's possible to keep warm. Do all you people who want the heat actually work for a living, or are you all sat around the pool necking pina coladas?

very true yeah, no fun whatsoever in 30C, -30, well at least can keep warm

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

That would make most of the British public insane in your opinion. Ever wondered why Greenland has never taken off as a tourist destination :rofl:

• Like 4

Posted

Yes I'm at college actually and fun fact, it's not air conditioned and I have to wear a suit believe it or not. Furthermore, it is entirely possible to keep yourself cool during summer with one of those things known as a fan, cold drink and finding shade.

None of those things you mentioned will keep anyone cool, especially when it's 30c hot and humid. Looks like an awful spell of weather is coming up for people who work, hopefully we get some cool and wet weather after the heat wave has passed by the end of the month, There has been above average temperatures for a whole year now.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

None of those things you mentioned will keep anyone cool, especially when it's 30c hot and humid.Looks like an awful spell of weather is coming up for people who work, hopefully we get some cool and wet weather after the heat wave has passed by the end of the month, There has been above average temperatures for a whole year now.

I work, and I am looking forward to this. Nothing better than driving to work and back in glorious sunshine with the windows down. Nothing like a sunny day to get you in a bright and happy mood. Nothing worse than rain and grey skies.

As for the heat, it's not that bad. We are not talk mid to high 30s temperatures here. 32C looks to be the highest on Friday and frankly we get a day that hot every year (yes even the worst summers of recent years have achieved something close to that mark.)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

I'm loving biking to and from work in this sort of weather. Getting that lovely fresh, but not too cold air in my lungs. I can set off at 6.30am in a t-shirt which is lovely. Much better than biking into a cold raw wind that is so harsh on your skin. My skin tone is much nicer in summer too due to the much softer air. I dont react well to raw freezing cold winds.

• Like 3

Posted

Sweating all day and high pollen counts are not enjoyable experiences. Not to mention the hot and humid nights leading to lack if sleep.

• Like 5

Posted

I work, and I am looking forward to this.

Exactly. I'm fed up reading loaded comments and assumptions about heat-lovers as though they all live on the set of Baywatch. If I'm sitting around in an office environment I'd much prefer it to be too hot than too cold. Try working at a computer in an old unheated building when it's like Pluto outside, like I had to during December 2010 (and I loved that month by the way). I so envied the workmen doing manual labour outside, as at least they were doing something which kept them warm. Of course in hot weather it's different and manual labour is the less envious of the two options, so I understand how one might find hot worse than cold in that situation. Still, having done back-breaking work in 40C temperatures with an overhead sun and not a little humidity, the level of heat we get in this country doesn't bother me even in those circumstances.

By the way, the skin cancer argument is a red herring. That's entirely due to the strength of the sun (which is constant year-to-year) and not the air temperature. Doesn't matter if it's 20C next week or 30C, the sun will be the same strength.

• Like 7

I personally would prefer High pressure over the UK, rather than plumes as is at least for western areas, a better way of improving the chance of sunny weather, rather than plumes which give a short blast of hot and not necessarily sunny weather, to this end next week looks quite promising and there is also the chance of some T storms next week as well.

To me Sun and 20s in the summer is very pleasant indeed, but each to their own as some prefer 30s.

• Like 3