Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2014 thread

Posted

The heat will really get going properly from Wednesday onwards. Who said we have seen the best of the summer?

Why does heat have to equate to best?I think 21C, crystal clear blue skies, glorious sunshine and gentle breeze is better than 28C, high humidity, a lot of haze, very watery sunshine or even cloud and high pollution/stagnate air. Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Why does heat have to equate to best?I think 21C, crystal clear blue skies, glorious sunshine and gentle breeze is better than 28C, high humidity, a lot of haze, very watery sunshine or even cloud and high pollution/stagnate air.

So do I, 21C and clear blue skies though is it not rare in summer? as convective cloud would bubble up, I would have thought clear blue skies would have to be hotter than 21C

would be a common setup in Apr, May early June or late Sept

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Why does heat have to equate to best?I think 21C, crystal clear blue skies, glorious sunshine and gentle breeze is better than 28C, high humidity, a lot of haze, very watery sunshine or even cloud and high pollution/stagnate air.

Lovely as 21c and clear skies is, for many that is only useful at weekends since 21c at 3pm is 18c by 7pm when they get home which, unless humid, rapidly becomes too cool to sit outside in.

Having been enjoying 24-27c for the majority of days this month and without high humidity (except when storms are due) I can certainly vouch for how superb it is! Life is outside all the time instead of just on special occasions like back home.

Do find these contrasting opinions interesting though... I was talking to an Italian girl at the weekend and she was complaining how Berlin isn't warm enough in summer. We looked at her and stated this is the best summer period for sunny/hot weather we'd ever experienced having lived in England all our lives. I then went on to say I knew people who found even the cool English summer too hot and preferred the drab English winter. She looked at me like I was from a crazy land of insane people... 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Lovely as 21c and clear skies is, for many that is only useful at weekends since 21c at 3pm is 18c by 7pm when they get home which, unless humid, rapidly becomes too cool to sit outside in.

Having been enjoying 24-27c for the majority of days this month and without high humidity (except when storms are due) I can certainly vouch for how superb it is! Life is outside all the time instead of just on special occasions like back home.

Do find these contrasting opinions interesting though... I was talking to an Italian girl at the weekend and she was complaining how Berlin isn't warm enough in summer. We looked at her and stated this is the best summer period for sunny/hot weather we'd ever experienced having lived in England all our lives. I then went on to say I knew people who found even the cool English summer too hot and preferred the drab English winter. She looked at me like I was from a crazy land of insane people... 

Lol. That is odd.....she obviously had a problem seeing other peoples point of view and found it strange that some have a preference or opinion.. :)

Edited by simshady

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

To be fair, it works both ways - people here would look at your Italian friend with bemusement if they came here last July and proclaimed that it's too cool. Someone from Miami would find July 2006 in London to be freezing cold by their summer standards - but the concept of that is completely ridiculous to us. It's all down to what type of weather you're used to. It's easy to understand why so many people here have a low tolerance to heat - heat is lacking, many years don't even reach 30C away from the SE, and British people tend to have paler skin than even Scandinavians, so more prone to sunburning. My mother is one such person - natural redhead, pale skin - she complains whenever the sun starts shining, and burns very quickly. At the same time, she has a tendency to break out in rashes in sudden temperature changes - so going from a very cold environment, and into a very warm one, is risky (she isn't very fond of cold either).

Some people just can't help how they feel - it isn't necessarily a preference - it's just the way people are. Something innate that they can't change. Some people even have medical reasons for disliking certain types of weather. People with asthma probably don't appreciate either very hot or very cold weather.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Oh absolutely - the variety of opinion is what interested me! For me Berlin is very adequate heat wise- mostly mid 20s is about right but for her 30+ is required. My parents prefer low 20s and I know someone who find 18c more than enough (admittedly a somewhat overweight person!).

For me though I like extremes, at least for a while so am happy to give +35c or -20c a go. It's 3c-8c with cloud & drizzle i'm allergic too - i.e. the average British winter!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

If we do hit 30c this week it will be the first time since September 5th last year when Writtle (Essex) and Frittenden (Kent) both hit 30.2°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Lol. That is odd.....she obviously had a problem seeing other peoples point of view and found it strange that some have a preference or opinion.. :)

would be the same if you spoke to someone in Alberta and told them there are people who had a love of cold and snow..they would think you were bonkers!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

30+ is OK as long as you have no ongoing medical issues.

Posted

It's got to be the novelty value, or there's some hardcore masochists on here.

• Like 1

Posted

Bit surprised to see sky news using this as a headline for something which is 4 days away and has large uncertainty

Weather Warning As Rain To Cut Summer Short

http://news.sky.com/story/1301421/weather-warning-as-rain-to-cut-summer-short

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

30+ is OK as long as you have no ongoing medical issues.

Seeing as billions of people without medical issues around the world survive with 30C+ temperatures, I'd strongly disagree with this  :nonono:

• Like 1

Posted

So looks like the pretty good summer (imby) is set to continue.

Even more baffled by some of the negative comments in last week or so on here and in mad disc thread.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Attention seeking perhaps :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

It's a shame that the models have consistently downgraded the potential for hot weather in this part of the world - GFS doesn't even show any day reaching 25C. I suppose it was to be expected. I'm starting to think that this is turning into a 'SE vs the rest' kind of scenario. Oh well, you win some you lose some.

Edited by cheese

Posted

It's a shame that the models have consistently downgraded the potential for hot weather in this part of the world - GFS doesn't even show any day reaching 25C.

Thank God for that. Still far too hot,mind.

• Like 1

Posted

It's a shame that the models have consistently downgraded the potential for hot weather in this part of the world - GFS doesn't even show any day reaching 25C. I suppose it was to be expected. I'm starting to think that this is turning into a 'SE vs the rest' kind of scenario. Oh well, you win some you lose some.

GFS will be wrong here, 30C it will be, and remaining hot into next week as ECMWF shows, GFS is a 'winter' model for great accuracy, in summer GFS crap

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Another very pleasant day. Working from home with the doors open, lovely. Shame the comfortable conditions won't last.

• Like 1

Posted

Temperatures into the low 30's on Friday in the SE according to the beeb high 20's on Thursday with only a small risk of a heavy shower

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Don't pay any attention to GFS temp charts.. they are absolute rubbish. 

Posted

I'm a bit worried myself. I was watching BBC Weatherview just before and the forecast looked nowhere near as good as I was hoping (too much cloud, temperatures nothing to write home about). I try not to take these things as gospel, but in the 1-2 day range at least the BBC TV forecasts are usually reliable.

Today is looking like a letdown too. That front couldn't have picked a worse time of day to move in.

Posted

Still not reached 25C here- this is the latest for years even though it hasn't been a bad summer overall. This "hot" spell, it is going to be a real one or just a 30C in London while everywhere else is cloudy and low 20s? Like that one in August 2012 and many many more... That sort of thing is even worse than nonstop Atlantic grot to me.

• Like 2

Posted

Still not reached 25C here- this is the latest for years even though it hasn't been a bad summer overall. This "hot" spell, it is going to be a real one or just a 30C in London while everywhere else is cloudy and low 20s? Like that one in August 2012 and many many more... That sort of thing is even worse than nonstop Atlantic grot to me.

At this time of year, I would prefer the non stop Atlantic stuff, trouble is non stop Atlantic stuff only really exists from Nov to late Feb

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

Been nice weather here for the past 2-3 days. Much more summer like. 

Shame there's a breakdown on Saturday, but will be a chance to hopefully see a great storm and the temps look like they're staying fairly high with a possible wave of heat returning next week.

Hoping it'll be warm and dry for my 22nd birthday on Monday.