Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2014 thread

Posted

Another nice day here today too, this summer continues to deliver decent weather here.  I was worried that this week would turn into a dull affair with showers or more persistent rain but, Tuesday aside, it has been generally dry again with some sunshine yesterday and today.  

Agree we've definitely now beaten 2012 for warm and sunny summer weather, whatever happens next, and I'd probably go as far as to say we've now surpassed most summers since 2006, except for last year.  It would take a lot to beat 2013 for me, June was generally good here and July was one of my favourite summer months.  If we get a similar spell this July and August then definitely possible, though.  

Also seen a few more storms this year than recent years - with potential for more in the coming week the way the charts are currently shaping up.  Early summer last year felt more benign here, although we did have some decent convection in August.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

A stunning day here. Approaching 25c here and non stop sunshine and not many clouds. Bring on next weeks heat!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

We're having terrible weather here in the South East. Constantly overcast and drizzly and today only reached 17c!.

No sign of it letting up either with the BBC Forecast showing the same trend for the next week.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Yesterday was one of the worst days in Summer i can recall for a very long time. And a look at the radar showed how unlucky the eastern portion of the country was with the front stationary for 12-24 hrs. Much nicer today with plenty of sunshine and a nice breeze.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I can't ever recall a summer with so many pleasantly warm days that this one has had. There's also been a near absence of uncomfortable nights.

• Like 2

Posted

Looks like another week or so of mixed weather, with the best of any heat in the SE, then downhill across the last week or so of July as the Atlantic fires up and eventually smashes thru. This may well then herald the prospect of a mobile westerly pattern for August, with rain or showers at times and near average temps to close out official summer.

Edited by shedhead
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I remember that by July of last year we had had some incredibly warm nights where even with the windows open, no covers and ahem, a lack of nightwear, it was still too hot to sleep.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Just a touch over 26'C here making it the hottest day of the year  :drinks:

Posted

I can't ever recall a summer with so many pleasantly warm days that this one has had. There's also been a near absence of uncomfortable nights.

Summer 2011 had a lack of uncomfortable nights. It was the coolest summer minimum wise since 1972. Edited by Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Currently 26.2C with perfect blue sky to south and west and a bank of cloud to the northeast. Lovely afternoon again though perhaps not so good for a bbq later if the wind peps up and it clouds over.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

That's a decent score for your neck of the woods NR.

It is indeed! 27.4'C now beating last year's high of 27.1'C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Looks like another week or so of mixed weather, with the best of any heat in the SE, then downhill across the last week or so of July as the Atlantic fires up and eventually smashes thru. This may well then herald the prospect of a mobile westerly pattern for August, with rain or showers at times and near average temps to close out official summer.

I can just imagine a similar prediction from the following chart:  "Looks like low pressure will be stuck over the UK for the next two or three days, keeping it unsettled.  Then after that, the Atlantic fires up and we may get a mobile westerly pattern with rain or showers at times to close out official summer."

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1995/Rrea00119950715.gif

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Lovely summers day here in Darlington lots of sunshine very light breeze

currently 23.5c with a feels like temp of 25c

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

A long overdue change in wind direction next week to a light westerly. Lets get some warmth over here!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

It is indeed! 27.4'C now beating last year's high of 27.1'C

you must be having it good up there,warmest day here since may 19th,both are tied with warmest day of the year at 23 deg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Or next weeks warmer conditions may herald the rest of the summers pattern. Objectivity. You seem very confident on unsettled and cool/average almost all the time. No surprise though.  :closedeyes:

Edited by Costa Del Fal
  • Like 4

Posted

Sheffield has had maximum of 22.1 today and it hasn't gone down much so it looks like a humid evening ahead in my neck of the woods.

Edited by Weather26

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Or next weeks warmer conditions may herald the rest of the summers pattern. Objectivity. You seem very confident on unsettled and cool/average almost all the time. No surprise though.  :closedeyes:

So long as the Atlantic doesn't come steaming in like an express train, we should be alright? Maybe!

• Like 1

Posted

So long as the Atlantic doesn't come steaming in like an express train, we should be alright? Maybe!

No real signs of that thankfully at least for now!

• Like 3

Posted

Pretty decent Summer, in these parts, so far.

Not much rain since early June; sunny days and fairly warm.

Ok no real heat, as in 28/29c, but warm and pleasant.

Struggling to understand some of the comments appearing in model disc thread to be honest referring to changeable or no real heat. I'm sure it's the same people on the wind-up, as they would in Winter when there's no real cold and snow on offer.

Edited by Bristle boy

Posted

Perhaps another read of my post, this time properly and objectively might help. 'This may well then herald the prospect of.....' does not suggest I am very confident, unless of course it suits your agenda to say it does.

Edited by shedhead
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

A warm humid night coming up tonight overnight "lows" will widely be 16c to 18c despite some rain a couple of fresher days before some proper summer heat is shown to arrive during next week

• Like 1

Posted

A warm humid night coming up tonight overnight "lows" will widely be 16c to 18c despite some rain a couple of fresher days before some proper summer heat is shown to arrive during next week

I would not be going overboard with 'proper summer heat' arriving during next week Gavin, especially across the north and west, in fact this is still far from a done deal even for the SE imo.

Edited by shedhead
  • Like 1