Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2014 thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

*Sigh*. Hasn't it been warm enough,for long enough as it is? This excruciatingly tiresome summer seems to have gone on,and on,and on,and on,more than any other before it..... and it's still only early soddin' July. Just needs to go away now.

No it hasnt been warm enough actually. Consistent warmth has been a feature but i'm still waiting for some very warm or hot days.

Posted

No it hasnt been warm enough actually. Consistent warmth has been a feature but i'm still waiting for some very warm or hot days.

The cumulative effect of consistent warmth is greater than a few hot days amidst an otherwise cool regime. It's tiring,energy sapping and soul destroying. About time it 'did one'. Can't fight the calendar tho' - next best thing would be for 2007 to stage an encore. Now that was a decent summer around here.

Posted

Well Mushy is already writing off the prospect of any decent summer heat in the Model Banter thread and judging by the latest outputs he might have a case....at least where July is concerned anyway.  We still have Aug to go of course, which can and often does deliver some very warm/hot spells across the south in particular, but on balance I think we have probably seen the best of things now for Summer 14.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Well Mushy is already writing off the prospect of any decent summer heat in the Model Banter thread and judging by the latest outputs he might have a case....at least where July is concerned anyway.  We still have Aug to go of course, which can and often does deliver some very warm/hot spells across the south in particular, but on balance I think we have probably seen the best of things now for Summer 14.

:rofl:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

For you it might have been nice, but for those who lost their belongings and entire homes to the flooding, it might not have gone down so well.

Quite right. 8000 homes affected by flooding in Hull alone. The 25th June 2007 was a very dark day for this region.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I'd be quite happy with an 07 or 12 summer, I live on a hill and find the notion of living where you could be flooded as ludicrous.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny

I'd be quite happy with an 07 or 12 summer, I live on a hill and find the notion of living where you could be flooded as ludicrous.

OK, tell the government that all the 200,000 new homes that need to be built every year in this country need to be built on hills.

• Like 5

Posted

The 25th June 2007 was a very dark day for this region.

It was dark here,too - a world apart from the awful,relentless sun of this year. I really could not care less about the 'victims' of that year. It's weather,some win,some lose,and right now I've been on a very long losing streak.

Edit: Remember how in 2007 those that should know better were saying it was 'cos of 'climate change'? Ha ha - look how that panned out seven years on... Made me chuckle as much back then as it does now.

Edited by laserguy
  • Like 1

Posted

FI on the 06 again shows the jet powering up and bowling straight at the UK, so a far more unsettled, Atlantic dominated second half of Summer is far from out the question.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Looks like a northwest-southeast will be developing during next week if the met office are to be believed with it turning warm or very warm in the east and south

Many places starting dry on Sunday, but thicker cloud and rain in the north and west will gradually move southeastwards across the UK before clearing by early Monday. Meanwhile, ahead of this rain, some bright spells but heavy, and possibly thundery, showers will develop during Sunday.

Thereafter, a northwest-southeast split in the weather seems most likely, with the best of the drier, brighter weather to the south and east, although even here some rain is likely at times. Further northwest it will be more unsettled with rain or showers interspersed with brighter periods. Eastern and southern parts will be warm or very warm, whilst further north and west temperatures will be around or a little above average. These conditions then look likely to persist for the rest of the period

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

FI on the 06 again shows the jet powering up and bowling straight at the UK, so a far more unsettled, Atlantic dominated second half of Summer is far from out the question.

I wouldn't read too much into 06z operational FI - yesterday it was showing a heatwave.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Ahh so next weeks weather is going to last till August 31st will it. Nah I didn't think so.
  • Like 2

Posted

latest met office further update isn't great:

UK Outlook for Wednesday 23 Jul 2014 to Wednesday 6 Aug 2014:

Based on the GFS FI and some posts on netweather it looks like game over.

Updated: 1242 on Tue 8 Jul 2014

Edited by New Forest Gump

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I recall you posting in other threads about how dense city living should be the norm, in which case there's an especially big problem with this argument- many of our major cities flood because they were originally built next to rivers to serve as ports, and in more recent decades some developers have persisted in building on flood plains out of short-sighted decision-making in spite of the much poorer risk-reward equation.  Unfortunately, if a certain percentage of our houses are built on flood plains, that means that a certain percentage of the population must either live in them or go homeless.

However, I don't subscribe to the "Wanting wet summers is selfish because of the flooding that results" line- I have no problem with people wanting very wet weather despite the negative impacts, and if I didn't take that stance I would be guilty of being a hypocrite, for I get excited over major convective storms and they too can cause significant flooding.  I think dubious arguments for dismissing the impacts in themselves are a different matter though.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I recall you posting in other threads about how dense city living should be the norm, in which case there's an especially big problem with this argument- many of our major cities flood because they were originally built next to rivers to serve as ports, and in more recent decades some developers have persisted in building on flood plains out of short-sighted decision-making in spite of the much poorer risk-reward equation.  Unfortunately, if a certain percentage of our houses are built on flood plains, that means that a certain percentage of the population must either live in them or go homeless.

However, I don't subscribe to the "Wanting wet summers is selfish because of the flooding that results" line- I have no problem with people wanting very wet weather despite the negative impacts, and if I didn't take that stance I would be guilty of being a hypocrite, for I get excited over major convective storms and they too can cause significant flooding.  I think dubious arguments for dismissing the impacts in themselves are a different matter though.

I find it a little strange how when the majority of our winters we get wet and cold windy weather that anyone would want the same for our summers too!!!

I guess there have to be those people!

• Like 2

Posted

people who want it to rain and be cold all year.. seem to be sadists to me. They know most people want decent weather in the summer. because that's  usually the time of year the tempertures are high enough  to be able to go out without needing a coat..

So they love being akward. I find it disappointing when we get dull wet summers..

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

Apart from the very start of July, so far this month has been dreadful. Sitting around 19c with constant grey skies and as I type this - a extremely heavy downpour. I sincerely hope this isn't a shape of what's to come for the rest of the month, and summer. Although it shows temps building to 24c on Friday, it also shows fairly heavy rain. 

I did fear that once we get into what should be the hottest time of the year, we'd see a breakaway from the above average temperatures and dry weather. It's usually the way. 

Edited by matty007

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

*Sigh*. Hasn't it been warm enough,for long enough as it is? This excruciatingly tiresome summer seems to have gone on,and on,and on,and on,more than any other before it..... and it's still only early soddin' July. Just needs to go away now.

We haven't even had 30c yet ! God knows what you were like in July 2006, or 2003 or 1995 lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Quite right. 8000 homes affected by flooding in Hull alone. The 25th June 2007 was a very dark day for this region.

That was the day a real decent funnel cloud nearly touched down in South Lincs, remember seeing it biking home!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Indeed the maximum temperature this year so far is about 28C (I think). Usually we have seen a 30C somewhere by now, mainly in the usual South Eastern areas.

And the max temp in this part of the world has only been 25C - and that's a rounded value. Most days have been around 21C - which is the recommended room temperature.

Posted

So far July has been a big improvement on June here managing 56.2 hours of sun in the first 8 days. However June also got off to a good start and it wasn't until the 12th that the dross set in.

Also of note the clear skies are bringing below average minima for the first time since November with a mean min of 9.6C so far (-0.6). Mean max is around average at 18C and once again a notable lack of variation in maxima with all but two days between 17.3C and 19.1C.

Yet to see 21C here this year and given that 2007 and 2012 both reached 22-23C in spring this is the latest since 2002. The lack of temperature variation is really astounding. I recorded a greater range in temperature in one week in May 2012 (23.8C from -0.4C on the 20th to 23.4C on the 26th) than I have all of 2014 (23.3C from -2.5C on 24th Jan to 20.8C on 17th June).

Edited by Richard2901
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I noted this in the model banter thread- this year has been notable for its homogeneity, with temperatures consistently in the "above average but unexceptional" category.  I could compare and contrast the summer of 1996, during which each of the three main summer months had a slightly above-average Central England Temperature, but temperatures fluctuated considerably from one week to the next.  The odds appear to favour a continuation of unremarkable warmth over the next week or two although there is a chance of one or two plumes with the prevailing signals for an Atlantic trough and Euro high.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers