Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2014 thread

Posted

Wow, forget about winter right now, what about summer?

Not much otherwise I would have mentioned it...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Turning into quite a nice June now after the first week was a bit rubbish. The outlook looking decent too. Anyone remember those washout summers we used to have hah!

Struggling to get 2 days nice together here!!!,nice today though 21 deg only had one day warmer this year.

I thought you had a poor day yesterday?It was in Filey anyway?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny

Another lovely day here, recorded over 100hrs of sunshine here in the last 8 days, turning out to be a lovely month :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

What a day today! 26C with unbroken sun and 5 hours sunbathing (with a 100m race in there for the school sports day) Couldn't ask for any better!! :) :)

Posted

So far, so good.  Since June 4th we've had a couple of storms and then some lovely dry, sunny weather interspersed with the odd cloudier day.  At this stage, even if it rains every day until August 31st, we've still had a better summer in my location than 2012 or 2008.  While it's great to see a fine start to summer again, I hope we don't end up paying for it come the school holidays in late July / August!  

Only snag this year compared to last year is the hayfever seems to be much worse - I guess this is a result of the mild, wet winter and spring rather than the cold, dry conditions of early 2013.  Last year was a particularly good early summer combination of dry, sunny conditions with a lower pollen count.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Much warmer and sunnier day here today after the mostly cloudy weather of previous days.  In general the high pressure looks like being in a more favourable spot for sunshine in this area of the country during the coming week, though with some uncertainty on how long it will hold on for (the ECMWF operational runs are rather quick to bring in the "June Return of the Westerlies", probably too much so).

Posted

Its been in the main a preety good start to summer here in the Lake District - nothing exceptional in terms of heat and dry weather, but good all the same with plenty of dry sunny warm days. Today has been the warmest one of the year so far, getting up to 24 degrees. Summer 2012 for example saw a temp no higher than 24 degrees at any one stage - its good to be achieving such figures at this early stage in the summer.

The outlook is a fine one with plenty more dry sunny pleasantly warm weather - last year we had to wait until the very tail end of June for such conditions.

If I was to say when is the best time for fine settled warm conditions in the UK - I would now exactly now. With maximum levels of sunlight/daylight and still a good 2 and half months to go of summer - its always more pleasing to see these kind of conditions than in high summer (roughly I would describe as mid July-mid August).

However, word of caution, on average we are far more likely to see settled conditions in the first 3 weeks of June than at any other stage in summer, traditionally the atlantic begins to stir once we hit the summer solstice, and we all know (especially those of us in the NW quarter of the country), what a washout August can be..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Its been in the main a preety good start to summer here in the Lake District - nothing exceptional in terms of heat and dry weather, but good all the same with plenty of dry sunny warm days. Today has been the warmest one of the year so far, getting up to 24 degrees. Summer 2012 for example saw a temp no higher than 24 degrees at any one stage - its good to be achieving such figures at this early stage in the summer.

The outlook is a fine one with plenty more dry sunny pleasantly warm weather - last year we had to wait until the very tail end of June for such conditions.

If I was to say when is the best time for fine settled warm conditions in the UK - I would now exactly now. With maximum levels of sunlight/daylight and still a good 2 and half months to go of summer - its always more pleasing to see these kind of conditions than in high summer (roughly I would describe as mid July-mid August).

However, word of caution, on average we are far more likely to see settled conditions in the first 3 weeks of June than at any other stage in summer, traditionally the atlantic begins to stir once we hit the summer solstice, and we all know (especially those of us in the NW quarter of the country), what a washout August can be..

Are we really? July is drier, sunnier and warmer than June.

Posted

July is  usually better than June.. September is sometimes better.. This june for me as been pretty  average to poor.some nice days but only a few..

The weather forecasting has been   dire. take yesterday. was a beautiful day..I did not see that coming. Neither did the main weather forecasters..

The long range weather prediction is pointless.No one knows what July or August will bring.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Out of interest, what is it with everyone in England being obsessed with what the weather will be like at Glastonbury? Are you all going?  :cc_confused:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny

Out of interest, what is it with everyone in England being obsessed with what the weather will be like at Glastonbury? Are you all going?  :cc_confused:

I couldn't care less and don't know why it is being mentioned so much,

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Not me NR. Never been and never want to go...

• Like 2

Posted

Dunno - was probably alright back in the 70's when there were proper bands around. Why anyone would want to go stand in a field to endure the trash of today, I can't figure. Whatever, I'm praying for rain,and lots of it.

• Like 2

Posted

I'm going to Glastonbury this year, didn't go last year.  The music isn't important when you're drunk. Tune in to BBC3 and I will give you all a wave, or a middle finger.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I'm praying for rain,and lots of it.

I get that same feeling with BBQs. Especially with those amongst us who buy them fancy looking 'outside gas ovens',thinking they're having a proper BBQ. May aswell cook the food in the kitchen oven then take it outside.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Are we really? July is drier, sunnier and warmer than June.

July is a warmer month everywhere on average, but for sunshine and rainfall it depends on what area of the country.  Traditionally, July and August are associated with a stronger jet stream and stronger Azores High than June, resulting in stronger westerlies, which bring an increased frequency of cloudy and wet weather to western Britain, but sheltered eastern parts of the country can end up slightly drier on average as a result.  

The tendency for July to be sunnier than June over the periods 1971-2000 and 1981-2010 in central and eastern Britain is a consequence of numerous anomalously dull wet Junes and sunny dry Julys in the 1980s and 1990s.  Over the 20th century as a whole, and also the 1961-1990 period, on average June tended to be marginally sunnier than July even in eastern Britain.

• Like 2

Posted

Well, I guess June being cloudier than July is the new normal.

Posted

Seems a certainty that June here will yet again end up below average for sunshine. The latest in a hideous run stretching back to 1997 with only 2003 and 2013 even being passable. If next week is as bad as this week, and current output suggests it will be, then it'll likely end up ranking as one of the dullest on record.

Following on from a very dull May this is very depressing as it means what should be the two best months of the year have been a write-off. I've been checking the records to see other years in which both May and June were exceptionally poor and it turns out that there have been only four years since 1900 in which both months have averaged below 5 hours of sun per day: 1932, 1944, 1965 and 1993.

Not only are these some of the worst extended summers on record but some of the dullest years overall. 2014 will join them if we get less than 53 hours sun in the next 11 days which seems a cert based on the dismal performance of the past 8 days :wallbash:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Seems a certainty that June here will yet again end up below average for sunshine. The latest in a hideous run stretching back to 1997 with only 2003 and 2013 even being passable. If next week is as bad as this week, and current output suggests it will be, then it'll likely end up ranking as one of the dullest on record.

Following on from a very dull May this is very depressing as it means what should be the two best months of the year have been a write-off. I've been checking the records to see other years in which both May and June were exceptionally poor and it turns out that there have been only four years since 1900 in which both months have averaged below 5 hours of sun per day: 1932, 1944, 1965 and 1993.

Not only are these some of the worst extended summers on record but some of the dullest years overall. 2014 will join them if we get less than 53 hours sun in the next 11 days which seems a cert based on the dismal performance of the past 8 days :wallbash:

Aberdeen is pretty northerly in latitude so it is always going to be very unreliable and very variable though I admit it does seem a run of very poor weather for you.

Dont mean to rub it in but meanwhile in this spell of weather we have been favoured perfectly. Almost 2 weeks of clear blue skies and sunshine every day now. But then there is some 7-9 degrees difference in latitude so makes a difference.

Posted

June will end up a little dull here I suspect, but warmer than average. Drier than average looks likely as well.

Does look very sunny in Cornwall. Camborne has clocked up 139 hours so far, average 7.7 hours a day. Will be interesting to see the final result.

Edited by cheese

Posted

Aberdeen is pretty northerly in latitude so it is always going to be very unreliable and very variable though I admit it does seem a run of very poor weather for you.

Dont mean to rub it in but meanwhile in this spell of weather we have been favoured perfectly. Almost 2 weeks of clear blue skies and sunshine every day now. But then there is some 7-9 degrees difference in latitude so makes a difference.

Not really anything to do with latitude but more the position of the high. Stuck out to the west it is just allowing endless cloud to spew over the top of it and down the eastern side of the UK.

We just never seem to get favourable summer synoptics any more. This part of the country seems to come out with below average sunshine all the time except last summer and even then the surplus was smaller than in most other parts. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

To be honest I am not bothered about what we get in june as to me summer is july and august and in these parts 2013 is the only descent july we have had since 2006 so I am looking for this year to be at least sunnier and nice temps at least!!!!

Posted

Looking like a lovely Summer's day here in Manchester tomorrow. Unbroken sunshine after around 10:00 and temperatures getting into the low twenties.

Looking like another day in bed for me then.