Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2014 thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry summers with big thunderstorms.

Great weather here in Essex! Friday was warm and sunny, Saturday had a large thunderstorm during Am this cleared to warm sunny skies during PM and yesterday the temperature reached 25c under clear skies. Today is cloudier but very humid - our local weather station shows temp at 22.5c and dewpoint at 19c at 1pm.

http://www.weathercast.co.uk/world-weather/weather-stations/obsid/99127.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

I think this weather is gorgeous! Don't know why people are so despondent. You don't need 35c to sit outside with a beer or have a BBQ. It's perfectly pleasant enough to enjoy the outdoors.

15c cloud and rain is not pleasant in the slightest.

Posted

Seems to be an opposite  of last June so far.. the western side of the UK did well last  summer for the first 10/11 days..

in recent days its started to feel like summer.. temperature wise. Now just need the rain to disappear. :yahoo:..

Seems a shame when it feels warm and the rain ruins the day after day.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Gravesend in Kent reached 26.3C today equaling the highest temperature of the year so far

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

In the past hour the beeb have confirmed Writtle in Essex reached 26.5C today the highest temperature recorded in the UK so far this year beating the previous high of 26.3c in Gravesend

Posted

That outlook is a masterpiece in saying absolutely nothing of any significance whilst at the same time giving the impression of being of great importance. Well done on whoever composed it even if I still have absolutely no idea as to how the Met Office thinks the Summer will pan out.

Posted

the met office  don't  have a  clue... that's why..and if  they did get the summer prediction wrong, They wouldn't live it down :aggressive:..

look at their  15/30 day out look..Its gonna be warm in sunshine and cold when it rains.. I mean well I never :nonono:

From memory last year the bbc did a look forward for the first month of  the summer.. Daren bett  was the weather forecaster..they haven't done one this year so far. because its been raining. ;).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Starting to get irritated by this rain now! I was hoping yesterday and today were going to be dry but both have had heavy downpours which, despite being the most interesting form of rain, are only adding to the growing rainfall total for June. I want to see rock hard ground, no puddles and yellowing grass at this time of the year.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Starting to get irritated by this rain now! I was hoping yesterday and today were going to be dry but both have had heavy downpours which, despite being the most interesting form of rain, are only adding to the growing rainfall total for June. I want to see rock hard ground, no puddles and yellowing grass at this time of the year.

Why on earth would anyone want rock hard ground and the grass to die off? Looks terrible when that happens.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Why on earth would anyone want rock hard ground and the grass to die off? Looks terrible when that happens.

I quite like the parched Mediterranean look. Having green grass isn't worth the mud either.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Don't want everywhere do die off completely like 1976 but would like to see the familiar signs of a good summer emerging such as the grass slowing down and turning slightly yellow instead of being rampant as its been this year so far. Several days of baking are required from the strong June sun.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Now confirmed. We are in a -QBO phase.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

It would take something pretty spectacular to get us to that point. Even at the end of July 2013 everything was green where I lived (though we did have some drizzly spells so it might have been different in other locations).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Summer is the season of warmth and sun - or at least, that is what most people expect and envisage. Anything below average is not acceptable - our 'average' is already borderline.

• Like 3

Posted
Awful start to summer. Only four dry days so far in June and day after day it is 19C and sunny when stuck at work, degenerating into 14C, cloud and rain/showers by evening.  How on earth we can be the only part of the country plagued by showers on this set-up I don't know. It should be the Western Isles getting this.

Be as well getting dark at 4pm because the light nights are being completely wasted. Next few days just more of the same. We could get close to the average monthly rain total by mid-month and further north Kinloss has comfortably exceeded its full monthly average rain total already so well on track to be another ridiculously wet summer month in NE Scotland  :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Now confirmed. We are in a -QBO phase.

What does this generally mean for the UK?

Posted

So far, June has been decent bar last Wednesday here in Weston-super-Mare. I'm quite satisfied. If the models pull it off, this could be the best June in four years ironically a World Cup year lol. 

Posted

-QBO, strong El Nino, weakening sun... Hopefully a textbook case of mild and unsettled start to winter followed by midwinter SSW and cold 2nd half of winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

-QBO, strong El Nino, weakening sun... Hopefully a textbook case of mild and unsettled start to winter followed by midwinter SSW and cold 2nd half of winter.

Wow, forget about winter right now, what about summer?

• Like 2

Posted

The QBO link is fairly weak for summer. Beneficial for winter and the hurricane season though.

Posted

The QBO link is fairly weak for summer. Beneficial for winter and the hurricane season though.

Fair enough. Thanks SB. :)