Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps Spring/Summer 2014

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Yet another dire start to summer...

Now into the third consecutive day of disgusting overcast...

Totally and utterly depressing...

Someone who shares my hate of dull, grey, leaden skies! After a pretty good week of sun and warmth here in Suffolk, I, many others in the model thread, and the UKMO, thought (from the model output) that the East coast would be plagued by grey skies and cool winds off the North Sea this weekend. But it's actually turned out a great Saturday afternoon here. Plenty of sun for the majority of the afternoon, a very reasonable 18.5C and a lovely sunny evening to end the day!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Yet another dire start to summer with above average rainfall, below average sunshine and wind almost exclusively from the easterly half of the compass as it has been pretty much all year  :bad: Now into the third consecutive day of disgusting overcast. With little hope of a clearance and more of the same tomorrow this will be the umpteenth revolting grey sunless weekend this year. It really is a sick joke that in this abysmal record-breakingly cyclonic year we finally get high pressure and this is the rubbish it is producing. The next week looks horrible with very little sunshine just lots of cloud to add significantly to the 500-hour summer sunshine deficit since 2007  :wallbash: http://www.niederschlagsradar.de/niederschlagsprognose.aspx?type=4&continent=europa Totally and utterly depressing. This year is worse than 1993 for consistently awful weather. Simply vile  :angry:

I feel your pain! Whilst the last 2 weeks have been beautiful here the 2 weeks before were ghastly. Nothing worse in summer than grey skies, cool and windy. We get enough of that crap at other times of the year. Hope it cheers up there soon.

Posted

Yet another dire start to summer with above average rainfall, below average sunshine and wind almost exclusively from the easterly half of the compass as it has been pretty much all year  :bad:

Now into the third consecutive day of disgusting overcast. With little hope of a clearance and more of the same tomorrow this will be the umpteenth revolting grey sunless weekend this year. It really is a sick joke that in this abysmal record-breakingly cyclonic year we finally get high pressure and this is the rubbish it is producing. The next week looks horrible with very little sunshine just lots of cloud to add significantly to the 500-hour summer sunshine deficit since 2007  :wallbash:

http://www.niederschlagsradar.de/niederschlagsprognose.aspx?type=4&continent=europa

Totally and utterly depressing. This year is worse than 1993 for consistently awful weather. Simply vile  :angry:

I'm not enjoying this summer weather either. Along with seven million other people, I suffer from hay fever and yesterday was one of the worst days I can remember.

It really annoys me when the usual old suspects turn up in the MO thread and tell us they're going to have a BBQ and how wonderful it is that High pressure is going to rule the roost for the next thousand years or so. I can only presume they don't have to work or live like the rest of us..

The current forecasts look horrible for hay fever sufferers - where's the rain, where's the lovely cool NE'ly feed and the low cloud ? Instead, we have horrible hot, still sunny conditions which allow the pollen and the pollution to interact and cause havoc.

It's even worse for people with bronchial conditions or asthma but why should the "sunnies" care ? They've got endless BBQs and want the temperature to be 35c+ so we can really all enjoy it.

If you want heat, go and ride on the London Underground - the temperature can reach 50c in Britain's very own "mobile sauna". 

Summer can begin mid-July - until then, let's have some understanding for those who are in purgatory.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I'm not enjoying this summer weather either. Along with seven million other people, I suffer from hay fever and yesterday was one of the worst days I can remember.

It really annoys me when the usual old suspects turn up in the MO thread and tell us they're going to have a BBQ and how wonderful it is that High pressure is going to rule the roost for the next thousand years or so. I can only presume they don't have to work or live like the rest of us..

The current forecasts look horrible for hay fever sufferers - where's the rain, where's the lovely cool NE'ly feed and the low cloud ? Instead, we have horrible hot, still sunny conditions which allow the pollen and the pollution to interact and cause havoc.

It's even worse for people with bronchial conditions or asthma but why should the "sunnies" care ? They've got endless BBQs and want the temperature to be 35c+ so we can really all enjoy it.

If you want heat, go and ride on the London Underground - the temperature can reach 50c in Britain's very own "mobile sauna". 

Summer can begin mid-July - until then, let's have some understanding for those who are in purgatory.

loads rain here today, not complaining as I think hot weather sucks, nothing hot due yet anyway really, I would say any hot weather will arrive after wimbledon

• Like 1

Posted

I don't care if you suffer from hay fever. I can't be any more blunt than that. Most people are understandably going to enjoy any warm and sunny weather, so yeah - get over it. No hot weather in the forecast either - not least 35C - and I haven't seen anyone yearning for weather that hot - just warm - pleasantly warm. Sucks that you can't enjoy it like most people. I can only imagine the pain and anguish you must experience, sitting indoors with your runny nose, cursing those happy, sun-loving people enjoying life. Ah well, chin up.

you're obviously not a hayfever sufferer then - it's awful!
  • Like 2

Posted

I don't care if you suffer from hay fever. I can't be any more blunt than that.

Most people are understandably going to enjoy any warm and sunny weather, so yeah - get over it. No hot weather in the forecast either - not least 35C - and I haven't seen anyone yearning for weather that hot - just warm - pleasantly warm. Sucks that you can't enjoy it like most people. I can only imagine the pain and anguish you must experience, sitting indoors with your runny nose, cursing those happy, sun-loving people enjoying life. Ah well, chin up.

Thanks for the understanding.

I don't care what you think either - apart from the fact you're clearly selfish and ignorant.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Thanks for the understanding.

I don't care what you think either - apart from the fact you're clearly selfish and ignorant.

Can we please keep Personal insults "personal", We all enjoy different weather, Let's just except that..

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008

Frustrating models at the moment, with a good (for summer lovers) upcoming week for most places, but zero certainty about whether High Pressure influence can or will persist into week 2, Those of us praying for  a dry Glastonbury can only keep on praying ....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think what annoys me generally is the idea that we should all like and dislike certain types of weather, or else be marginalised for being perverse and/or inconsiderate towards those who are negatively impacted by types of weather that we like, but are supposed to dislike.  In the summer, I get exposed most often to the "you should like settled weather and dislike unsettled weather, because normal people want to do outdoor activities and therefore the most important thing is that it doesn't rain" one, but the "you shouldn't want it too hot or too sunny because it adversely affects hay fever sufferers and commuters on the London Underground" one crops up fairly often as well.  

But, while I object to the idea of enjoying a particular type of weather being inconsiderate because of its negative impacts on others, I think being dismissive of the impacts is inconsiderate in many circumstances.  I note that many of the arguments over weather types that descend into "flame wars" see B attack A for enjoying a certain type of weather, and A attack B for being negatively affected by it, and quite often this makes A and B equally as bad as each other.

I am a rather ironic case in that I suffer from hay fever and stomach reflux and burn very easily in the sun so I am exactly the type that would be expected to prefer a relatively cool cloudy settled spell over a hot sunny one, but my enthusiasm for notable weather events and tendency to get depressed when it is cloudy overrides this and swings my preference the other way.  The important point that comes out of this, of course, is that there are so many factors to take into account re. personal circumstances and you're never going to be able to please everybody.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

I get hay fever and get a bit frustrated sometimes by the sneezing etc, but I'd never want constant grey skies in summer with cool winds. Very depressing! We suffer enough of that kind of weather in the other 9 months of the year. I've always found anti-histamines work quite well and if people suffer that badly they really should go and see their doctor.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

you're obviously not a hayfever sufferer then - it's awful!

You're right, although I do get watery-eyed and itchy sometimes when I mow the lawn - I'm not sure if it's an allergy to pollen or something else, but I make sure to take loratadine on sunny, warm days, just in case.

I don't want to sound harsh or uncaring - it sucks that people suffer from hay fever to the extent that they cannot enjoy warm, sunny weather - but you can't expect people over the internet to care to the point that they feel bad for liking warm weather. I know people who can't eat dairy products, but do you think I am going to refrain from enjoying a bowl of ice cream because they get flatulent? No, of course not.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 3

Posted

I actually find the turn-over between Seasons rather amusing, As some try so hard to hang on to there preferred, While cherry picking the most illusive chart's to suit available. I have even done it myself..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I actually find the turn-over between Seasons rather amusing, As some try so hard to hang on to there preferred, While cherry picking the most illusive chart's to suit available. I have even done it myself..

Happens all the time, i'm probably guilty of trying to over-balance it (seek out cold charts just because people are seeking warm charts). Though it's amusing how suddenly the ensembles become the best guide at some points and then the operationals when a nice trend is created.

• Like 3

Posted

Seriously depressed just now about suggestions of a possible washout at Glastonbury next week in 00z GFS -- only one run, plenty of time for change, etc, but  if anything like it were to verify, it would be an extreme switch away from what's looked like being on offer for the end of June in some other recent runs.

Edited by William of Walworth

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

At the minute it seems like its Northerly winds were going to get, regardless next week at the moment. Hope it changes. :( Bit worrying the trend for a stubborn Scandi Low.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

i still suffer (mildly now) from hayfever, i work outdoors and love it sunny and warm. i dont understand why people could like it dull cold and overcast in summer, theres all winter for that.maybe instead of taking medicines for hayfever you should meet it head on like i did, give your body the option of dealing with it .

Seriously depressed just now about suggestions of a possible washout at Glastonbury next week in 00z GFS -- only one run, plenty of time for change, etc, but  if anything like it were to verify, it would be an extreme switch away from what's looked like being on offer for the end of June in some other recent runs.

think youre being abit premature... theres lots of pretty dry weather for the forseeable. IF it rains for glasto at least it should be on dry firm ground this time...

• Like 1

Posted

Am very prone to panic at this particular time of year ...

Yes site is very dry right now, as our friend (who's already been down) has told us.

But I'd take cool dryish Northerlies rather than a West, NW or SW sourced LP attack any time ... but as you say, still plenty of time left (for now!)for HP influence to reassert.

Need some more reassuring runs to happen in coming days!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I just hope it's a case of heights appearing towards Greenland as a result of lower pressure swinging towards the UK not the other way around. Really don't want to get low pressure stuck around the UK or a setup establish where a train of lows start attacking from the west underneath and over the top of high pressure.

Personally I would say that is unlikely but one can't rule out a more unsettled spell at some point. In the meantime it would just be nice, with a high of 1030mb+ and warm uppers to get this cloud out the way so we can at least enjoy the anticyclone before it moves off.

Posted

Can't say this has not been coming in my opinion. Since mid-May we've been in this strange pattern whereby we've had high heights over the Arctic, relatively low pressure in the Atlantic but weirdly a very weak jet which has resulted in stalling lows. While there was always the chance that a +AO would take over, so long as heights were relatively high in the Arctic, we were always going to lose eventually.

To keep this model related i have to say that as synoptic profiles go, this is dam near perfect..

Posted Image

• Like 1