Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps Spring/Summer 2014

Posted

Some horrible weather being modelled for wed-fri next week for those that have a job.

Not looking forward to it at all.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Well i have a job in an unairconditioned office. But i also have a life and i dont let my job rule it. I am off on Thursday though so a trip to the coast sounds ideal.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Heat to come this week :)However if you expect 28c plus year in year out in Derby you will have a lot of disappointing Summers.

thankfully i know the difference between expecting and wanting :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Some horrible weather being modelled for wed-fri next week for those that have a job.Not looking forward to it at all.

Of course having a foot of snow and ice days is a lot better for people who work.  :rofl:

I think most will survive a few very warm days without too much hassle. I know I will.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 2

Posted

the leaves are usually still green in september, flowers are still out and crops are harvesting, the only difference is it gets dark a couple of hours earlier than in june and july, i don't like snow in march because it usually melts, i couldn't careless that the daffs are out, the trees are blossoming and the days are longer, if snow stuck around for a few days i'd be happy, you can't have it all you have it a lot better than those people that prefer winter, i haven't seen a flake of snow since jan 2013, imagine if you didn't see a pleasant sunny day for 18 months?

pleasant sunny day against a rare snowy one is not a fair comparison. its hot days i like to see, i bet youve had more snow days 07-12 then i had days over 25c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Going to be bloody hot in the south east by Friday 35 c plus anyone !!!....

As long as its not here, bbc looks wrong, only going for a high of 23C with light showers on thursday, GFS look closer with 27/28C for NW midlands

Edited by IrememberAtlantic252

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

As long as its not here, bbc looks wrong, only going for a high of 23C with light showers on thursday, GFS look closer with 27/28C for NW midlands

Hopefully I'll get away with 25-26 degrees which i hate but can cope with...It'll make the cooler/colder weather all the more comforting when it arrives. :)

Edited by simshady
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008

I'd be more than happy for a reduced heat (22C rather than 29C) and much less rain combo for next weekend (Friday to Sunday particularly).

I'd be much more excited this time of year, about any prospects for settled with more sun and more moderate warmth.

Rather less excited about thunderstorms and instability. 'Cape Values' and mega-convectivity leave me annoyed and shortchanged. No heatwaves please, unless they can be dry settled ones! ....

Dry's where I want it to be ....

But pretty much all the models point against my personal wishes for next w/e right now .... FIGHT BACK, HIGH PRESSURE!!!!!

Edited by William of Walworth
  • Like 1

Posted

pleasant sunny day against a rare snowy one is not a fair comparison. its hot days i like to see, i bet youve had more snow days 07-12 then i had days over 25c.

the point is though you must be content with pleasant sunny weather with temps around 20c in summer we see plenty of days like today and yesterday every year in spring and summer, i don't enjoy 3c and cold rain in winter or average temps in winter, it doesn't have to be 30c in summer for you to enjoy, that is just being fussy, it has to be 0c in winter for snow 1c isn't good enough esp here, 

i know we haven't seen a heatwave yet but whether its 22c or 30c in summer that's still warm enough for most people right now its 20c and people are having BBQs, if its 1c and snowing in winter that's not good enough as it won't settle, of course if its 1c and sunny i'll be happy with that

so even though 30c in summer and ice days in winter are both rare in this country you are more likely to pleased that me, i've seen far more hot sunny days than snow days in my life, i use the term "snow days" loosely as it's more like snow hours it never snows all day

anyway i suppose all this should be moved to another thread

Edited by Tony27
  • Like 2

Posted

Being into my weather, I'd rather have the higher temps with more rain/storms combo thanks. Just dry sunny with moderate warmth doesn't leave much for anyone interested in weather, though it's pleasant and I'd happily take it in-between spells with convective weather and storms. We've had a decent supply of moderate warmth and sun this summer thankfully.

About time we had something interesting and a traditional '3 fine days and a thunderstorm'. 

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 1

Posted

the point is though you must be content with pleasant sunny weather with temps around 20c in summer we see plenty of days like today and yesterday every year in spring and summer, i don't enjoy 3c and cold rain in winter or average temps in winter, it doesn't have to be 30c in summer for you to enjoy, that is just being fussy, it has to be 0c in winter for snow 1c isn't good enough esp here, i know we haven't seen a heatwave yet but whether its 22c or 30c in summer that's still warm enough for most people right now its 20c and people are having BBQs, if its 1c and snowing in winter that's not good enough as it won't settle, of course if its 1c and sunny i'll be happy with that so even though 30c in summer and ice days in winter are both rare in this country you are more likely to pleased that me, i've seen far more hot sunny days than snow days in my life, i use the term "snow days" loosely as[siz=4] it's more like snow hours it never snows all day anyway i suppose all this should be moved to another thread

we will just have to agree to disagree then. this is a thread for moaning and theres no restrictions or conditions about it. ive made my view perfectly clear , and you have yours.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

This is a fantastic chart for two reasons...

1) A hot, thundery day for much of England and Wales.

2) Not a -5c isotherm in sight on the chart. :D

post-6797-0-84301100-1405279651_thumb.gi

Edited by Costa Del Fal
  • Like 4

Posted

Being into my weather, I'd rather have the higher temps with more rain/storms combo thanks. Just dry sunny with moderate warmth doesn't leave much for anyone interested in weather, though it's pleasant and I'd happily take it in-between spells with convective weather and storms. We've had a decent supply of moderate warmth and sun this summer thankfully.

About time we had something interesting and a traditional '3 fine days and a thunderstorm'. 

Agreeing to differ time once again then!

I'd object much less to thunderstorms (and yes, they can be exciting) if they arrived midweek -- we seem fated at the moment though to have risks of thundery downpours/washouts confined to weekends .....

Not good to those of who head for our outdoor festivals regularly over the summer <declares personal interest!>

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Personally think we won't hit 30 given the low pressure.

What an awful, humid outlook.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Personally think we won't hit 30 given the low pressure.What an awful, humid outlook.

Well there is a big whopping disagreement with your viewpoint on the BBC homepage  :rofl:

Unless the GFS is correct, then I suspect we could hit 30C on Friday and possibly Saturday. Wouldn't rule out a 90F either, the 850s are certainly high enough, just a case of cloud cover. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Personally, I really hope the warmth and possible big storms come off, it's exciting! I don't mind being hot, much rather that than freezing my a s s off, vile. It's so nice to be in shorts and flip flops on days off. How summer should be. I can understand old people not coping with the heat but anyone else just needs to buy a fan or aircon unit, they work very well lol

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I'm not a big fan of heat, but from a weather enthusiast's point of view, it's very interesting, and I'd rather have hot and humid weather over the disaster that was summer of 2012. I wonder how high the temps will go?

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Typical yearly chart there that usually delivers the hottest day of the year.

I would say 33-34C if the sun shines is possible somewhere. Otherwise probably 30C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

Tonight's ECM charts for the end of the week are the summer equivalent to a Jan 2010 chart! Much excitement for potential heat and storm action. This could be the warmest week of the year coming up. Hopefully not!

• Like 2

Posted

Agreeing to differ time once again then!

I'd object much less to thunderstorms (and yes, they can be exciting) if they arrived midweek -- we seem fated at the moment though to have risks of thundery downpours/washouts confined to weekends .....

Not good to those of who head for our outdoor festivals regularly over the summer <declares personal interest!>

Fair enough (re-reading my post I hope it didn't seem a bit blunt)I just find these interesting whenever as weather is my personal interest really, though can understand it being less good for those going to weekend events.Hopefully others can understand this interest from many on here too. A week day may be better (though not when at work as can't enjoy it so much then), but with very limited events like this I'd hope this didn't downgrade to nothing, as beggars can't be choosers.

Posted

looking like my earlier rant regarding summer being over could well be .... slighty... misplaced!

a-hem...

however, IF the current suggested evolution DOES bring about a protracted hot spell akin to those great summers i listed earlier, its still unusual to get a hot summer in the second half without a pre-curser to the heat earlier in the season.  all 15 of the hottest summers did have this as the records show. not 1 hot summer became hot after early july without a hot spell earlier.anyway its not happend yet.... :p

Posted

Once again a lot of excitement but I think we'll struggle to get above 30c based on the forecasts I'm looking at. Yes, it might happen on Friday in West London or just beyond but those suggesting 32c and higher - no, it just isn't there this time.

The plume is going to provide a glancing blow to the SE and East Anglia Friday/Saturday. After that, warm, yes, and pleasant if 25c is your preferred temperature but apart from a hint from GEM, there's no sign of another big heat push this month.

It's perfectly possible Friday and Saturday could be the hottest days of the year.

• Like 1

Posted

Once again a lot of excitement but I think we'll struggle to get above 30c based on the forecasts I'm looking at. Yes, it might happen on Friday in West London or just beyond but those suggesting 32c and higher - no, it just isn't there this time.

The plume is going to provide a glancing blow to the SE and East Anglia Friday/Saturday. After that, warm, yes, and pleasant if 25c is your preferred temperature but apart from a hint from GEM, there's no sign of another big heat push this month.

It's perfectly possible Friday and Saturday could be the hottest days of the year.

I'm still called a 32C on Friday, the BBC/Metoffice have 30C forecast widely, especially in London, and the counties just north and west of there (Cambridgeshire/Bedfordshire etc). Even places further north like Nottingham, Derby and Lincoln are forecast to reach 29C. I think the GFS is undercooking the temperatures a tad.

Saturday could also see a 30C, but is very depended on factors that the models can't forecast, so little point debating that.

Again the models suggest temperatures touching 30C, the 12C isotherm is certainly enough in a slack flow off the continent. What the GFS/UKMO and GEM show this afternoon are very rare synoptics for the UK where near enough the entire UK would be bathed in glorious sunshine and temperatures widely into the mid/high twenties. For summer it doesn't get much better than that. Shame it isn't a week later as I am on holiday then.....

We all know it will go balls up from the 25th  :rofl:

• Like 1