Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 31/03/14 onwards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The Easter weekend is now in the reach of GFS, you can guess what it has... yes low pressure, cooler temperatures and some wintery precipitation

Good Friday

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Saturday

Easter Sunday

Easter Monday (only available to 06:00)

Personally I preferred the 00z run more settled and slowly turning warmer

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 3

Posted

Mmmm GFS might be latching on to my suggested thoughts i.e. retreat of the PV from its resident home, thanks to a kicking due to strat warming which is very strong at present for time of year and you would expect a time lag for change in about 2 weeks time.. I wouldn't discard what GFS is showing today as we hit easter - it is often the first model to pick up on a change when that change is coming from the NW. Indeed it should raise a few eyebrows, especially given how late April/early May is notorious for seeing northerly and easterly airstreams - they reach their peak at that time of year.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A fantastic PM Flow towards end to the run by the GFS, and in line with meto further outlook.. We could end up with a very traditional Spring set-up, cool wintry and unsettled. with the vortex being bottled up for so long over Greenland during Winter it finally looks like it's weakening giving more scope for lows to swing further South, in turn taking the Jet with it.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 3

Posted

Mmmm GFS might be latching on to my suggested thoughts i.e. retreat of the PV from its resident home, thanks to a kicking due to strat warming which is very strong at present for time of year and you would expect a time lag for change in about 2 weeks time.. I wouldn't discard what GFS is showing today as we hit easter - it is often the first model to pick up on a change when that change is coming from the NW. Indeed it should raise a few eyebrows, especially given how late April/early May is notorious for seeing northerly and easterly airstreams - they reach their peak at that time of year.

I was under the impression that the PV does not create new modes of variability in the troposphere, It stimulates preexisting modes that are fundamental to the dynamics of the lower atmosphere. If this is the case how is it effecting the tropospheric dynamics at the moment? Am I wrong in thinking this or is it, as I suspect, far too simplistic?

Edited by knocker

Posted

Looking at the mid term and further into April; extended ecm indicates days 10-15, will be average with a fairly neutral temp anomaly with broadly westerly's/NW flow. CFS ens go negative, with days 15-25 below for all. Whether it pans out like this, who knows.

Posted ImagePosted Image

ecm 10/15 temp anom. Cfs 15/25 temp anom.

yet only 4 days ago the temperature anomaly showed quite a marked -ve bias for the country!

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 3

Posted

A fantastic PM Flow towards end to the run by the GFS, and in line with meto further outlook.. We could end up with a very traditional Spring set-up, cool wintry and unsettled. with the vortex being bottled up for so long over Greenland during Winter it finally looks like it's weakening giving more scope for lows to swing further South, in turn taking the Jet with it.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Not quite this is what they say for the 14th to 19th

Into the following week, there are signals for southern parts to see more settled and drier weather, with the most unsettled and windiest conditions further north. Temperatures should be mainly near normal, perhaps rather warm at times over central and southern parts, and maybe a little below average in the far north.

• Like 1

Posted

Not quite this is what they say for the 14th to 19th

Into the following week, there are signals for southern parts to see more settled and drier weather, with the most unsettled and windiest conditions further north. Temperatures should be mainly near normal, perhaps rather warm at times over central and southern parts, and maybe a little below average in the far north.

The weight of evidence is still favouring a more settled second half for April

• Like 4

Posted

ECM ensemble shows high pressure is never far away from the south once it gets in next week the further south you are the better chance you have of seeing the best weather

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

• Like 2

Posted

yet only 4 days ago the temperature anomaly chwed quite a marked -ve bias for the country!

if your point is to suggest we are dealing with an unreliable timeframe, then yes? That's a given! But i tend to lean towards the latest trends and analysis than those of 4 days ago.

Posted

It is a long way off  so quite unreliable but the ECM Ens Control has a deep trough mid-Atlantic developing beginning of the Easter week resulting in:

post-12275-0-82711400-1396704662_thumb.p

post-12275-0-10949100-1396704678_thumb.p

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted

Gibby has posted an update on his website

Due to a terminal personal family health issue regarding my close family I am unable to supply the forecast pages for the time being. I will try and maintain the live weather feeds when able but apologize for the short term interruption to this service too at times. While my focus must remain entirely focused on family welfare currently I am unable to predict a time when normal updates resume and this applies to my Model Output Summary service too.

http://www.norton-radstockweather.co.uk/

My thoughts are with Gibby and his family at this difficult time

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

Gibby has posted an update on his website Due to a terminal personal family health issue regarding my close family I am unable to supply the forecast pages for the time being. I will try and maintain the live weather feeds when able but apologize for the short term interruption to this service too at times. While my focus must remain entirely focused on family welfare currently I am unable to predict a time when normal updates resume and this applies to my Model Output Summary service too. http://www.norton-radstockweather.co.uk/ My thoughts are with Gibby and his family at this difficult time

Indeed Gavin,there are more important things than the weather......thoughts are with Gibby and his family.
  • Like 5

Posted

UKMO continuing to show pressure building during Tuesday and more extensively on Wednesday though northern Scotland could be more unsettled this unsettled weather pushes south by Thursday where as GFS keeps pressure higher by Friday UKMO shows high pressure starting to move back in from the west

Little change from GFS so far

Out in FI GFS has its deep lows back with a northerly as well

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Come on GFS, a white Easter would make up (slightly) for the total crap we had in winter!!! 

Hopefully when it gets closer, ECM will do same. Its encouraging that CFS and extended ECM look to be on board for now too, from the post a bit above :)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I have followed the met in the past and they are generally poor beyond a week, this has been the best place for picking up trends, remember last July's heat wave, it was picked up here first !

Not to mention all those upcoming snow-events, heatwaves and dartboard lows that are 'picked up here first', but almost always fail to materialize?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

So the two model forecasts seen today are a blowtorch southerly and a snowy northerly. I don't need to think anymore about it. :p

Nothing really swinging away from near average conditions on the GFS ensembles even out to day 15. Given the other ensembles show similar to that time-frame I would expect the first half of April to come out drier and milder than average, but nothing extreme compared to the seasonal norm.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted

First signs of the pressure rise on Tuesday from ECM

Posted Image

More widespread by Wednesday

Posted Image

By Thursday low pressure moves into Scotland but the high holds on in the south

Posted Image

Friday sees the high moving back in

Posted Image

Becomes unsettled just in time for the weekend away from the far south

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted

if your point is to suggest we are dealing with an unreliable timeframe, then yes? That's a given! But i tend to lean towards the latest trends and analysis than those of 4 days ago.

My point was that any forecast is just that, and subsequent runs may well show a difference, just as in this case.

The clever bit is being able to pick the right output in any time scale, be it 24 hours or 24 days ahead. Never ever believe one model no matter where it comes from.

• Like 1

Posted

The ECM ENS Control 500 hPa geopotential five day mean for Easter week at 12z is similar to the 00z which is no big surprise. The GFS is edging that way looking at a few days but still some significant differences. So need to keep the powder dry for the moment with low confidence.

post-12275-0-33252100-1396723720_thumb.p

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

ECM 12z looks like delivering some very average Springlike conditions with temperatures fluctuating from a couple of degrees above average under high pressure to average/slightly below under cooler northwesterlies. Rainfall looks to be highest in the NW, but nowhere looks like being especially wet over the next 10 days going by this run.

• Like 2

Posted

ECM 12z looks like delivering some very average Springlike conditions with temperatures fluctuating from a couple of degrees above average under high pressure to average/slightly below under cooler northwesterlies. Rainfall looks to be highest in the NW, but nowhere looks like being especially wet over the next 10 days going by this run.

Average spring conditions; thank the lord we are saved....

Posted

GFS is showing a lovely Northerly,  in keeping with this mornings run.

Posted Image

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 4