Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 30th March 2014 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Convection shooting up here now and some warm sunny periods too. 19c :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffs (Weekends) - RAF Benson, Oxon (During the week!)
  • Location: Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffs (Weekends) - RAF Benson, Oxon (During the week!)

Had a very active storm pass through Benson/Wallingford in Oxfordshire about an hour ago - torrential rain, flash flooding and frequent CC Lightning.  Cleared up quickly as soon as it passed with lots of evaporation from the standing water…  Looked like traffic on approach to Heathrow was being sent over here too for a while in the clear air so guessing there's probably some activity near to the Lambourne hold?  It's just started to build again and we've had a huge, long peel of thunder in the last couple of minutes.  Will try to get some pics as this one passes and post on here/Twitter as best I can! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Nice line of storms sitting to the west of mk at the moment, cAn hear the thunder rumbling in the distance

Heavy rain and thunderstorms with 'Sky TV' down at the moment, didn't expect this (20 miles west of MK)

Edited by stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Gone interesting here in the last hour, massive altocumulus clouds building right overhead, anyone know if there's possibility for storms this far north this evening?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Sky looks quite stormy here yet radar suggests any storms are going to miss here again.

Indeed. Looks like it is going to skirt about 20 miles to the North of me towards Stroud/Gloucester. Can see the dark skies in the distance but other than that a quite muggy afternoon with hazy sunshine here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Looks like I'm going to be in the middle of a lovely Reading-sized gap.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Indeed. Looks like it is going to skirt about 20 miles to the North of me towards Stroud/Gloucester. Can see the dark skies in the distance but other than that a quite muggy afternoon with hazy sunshine here!

looks quite good for you and me Chris.....storm/shower motion looks to be pretty much due west as they train across the gradually south west sinking frontal boundary.....the question is, as weather09 aluded to earlier, is whether or not storms decay as we approach sunset as we lose daytime heating

Posted

I think that's exactly what will happen AJ if it does rain then that's all it will be RAIN.Two days of chances and looking like two let downs.Bring on summer where we'll have better chances I hope.

Posted

can see some towers to my east just hope the cap doesn't kill them down here. the best chance I have of storms here is if they r import's from France lol

Posted

looks quite good for you and me Chris.....storm/shower motion looks to be pretty much due west as they train across the gradually south west sinking frontal boundary.....the question is, as weather09 aluded to earlier, is whether or not storms decay as we approach sunset as we lose daytime heating

Ye they are gradually making their way down towards me, but at the same time lightning activity is on a more westward track and decaying somewhat. I can see dark skies to my North-east as I'm only 20 or so miles SW from Gloucester where the storms are now. Can also hear faint rumbles to.

My eyes are on the showers around Swindon, but it's getting to that time now where the likelihood is for only the leftover rain blessing me with it's presence.

Edited by Chris K
  • Like 1

Posted

Quite frequent thunder in the storm that passed around 5:15pm. Infrequent at first but then ramped up to thunder every 20 seconds or so for about 20mins, light winds so stayed overhead quite a while, which was nice. Certainly above average for my location experiences I'd say.

(South of Oxford)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Ye they are gradually making their way down towards me, but at the same time lightning activity is on a more westward track and decaying somewhat. I can see dark skies to my North-east as I'm only 20 or so miles SW from Gloucester where the storms are now. Can also hear faint rumbles to.

My eyes are on the showers around Swindon. But like you said, it's getting to that time now where the likelihood is for only the leftover rain blessing me with it's presence.

So you may be able to let your screen go Chris... just maybe. 

Latest screenshot from Blitzortung app shows lightning moving westwards so may not move further south now. I think its squeaky bum time in terms of storms moving south now. But there are many more months to go for all this yet. I shall not get dis-heartened until September.

post-15744-0-46237400-1398100443_thumb.p

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Thankfully I made the trip today and chased a nasty little cell earlier to the west of Oxford and north of Abingdon which dropped hail to marble size and gusty winds. Some flashes of lightning too as I chased it to a village called Fairford.

I then watched a second storm move across near to Faringdon which produced a couple of cg's and numerous flashes as it approached but seemed to weaken into a spell of rain as it came over.

Now sat 10 miles west of Oxford contemplating driving home after a successful day.

• Like 7

Posted

So you may be able to let your screen go Chris... just maybe. 

Latest screenshot from Blitzortung app shows lightning moving westwards so may not move further south now. I think its squeaky bum time in terms of storms moving south now. But there are many more months to go for all this yet. I shall not get dis-heartened until September.

http:////d321955.r.worldssl.net/forum/public/style_images/tctc91_simplify/attachicon.gifScreenshot_2014-04-21-18-11-04.png

Yes you are right...famous last words - plenty of time left yet!  :ph34r:

Still waiting for my repeat of 9th May 2008, when that line of thunderstorms from a stalling cold front lasted for hours over parts of S England and Wales. Best lightning show I can remember personally.  :)

At least some people got something out of today! Better than last Spring where I cannot remember even having any storm opportunity at all..

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Just got back in from a day out but  yay!! I gotta storm I'm so happy lol :drunk: I gotta storm.Didn't hear thunder much (which I love due to lots of noise and kids around me ) but there was plenty of lightning yay. hope others did well too. Have only just got home so haven't checked me email yet. So chuffed lol. :drunk:

• Like 7

Posted

Thankfully I made the trip today and chased a nasty little cell earlier to the west of Oxford and north of Abingdon which dropped hail to marble size and gusty winds. Some flashes of lightning too as I chased it to a village called Fairford.I then watched a second storm move across near to Faringdon which produced a couple of cg's and numerous flashes as it approached but seemed to weaken into a spell of rain as it came over.Now sat 10 miles west of Oxford contemplating driving home after a successful day.

I'm gutted! Last 2 Monday's I've been down in Abingdon/Reading/Aldermaston, and had beautiful weather, and I miss this humdinger this week!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Just got back in from a day out but  yay!! I gotta storm I'm so happy lol :drunk: I gotta storm.Didn't hear thunder much (which I love due to lots of noise and kids around me ) but there was plenty of lightning yay. hope others did well too. Have only just got home so haven't checked me email yet. So chuffed lol. :drunk:

Congratulations Jane....you're out of the NSC early this time. Hope you'll be willing those of us still in there an early release.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Congratulations Jane....you're out of the NSC early this time. Hope you'll be willing those of us still in there an early release.

Thank you Carl  :biggrin: I'm sure I just heard thunder again just now! but it could be the farmers in the fields shooting lol radar still looks good. Oh I hope to see everybody out of my club before the end of year If I can get one then I'm sure everyone else can  :laugh: It's such a rarity for me lol