Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 28/03/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Morning all. :hi:

After a muggy old night here in the suburbs it seems things may be kicking off early further south. Isle of Wight and westwards could be in for lively start to the day.

• Like 2

Posted

Morning, light rain here, Hope to get a rumble late afternoon / evening :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Morning all, just finished a night shift, and its been pleasantly warm outside !! 

Kept my eye on that lot thats produced the sferics on the South Coast this morning. The Channel is certainly doing something right. That storm survived a fair portion of the Channel too. 

I'm actually thinking of condition monitoring storm success rates of crossing the channel and hopefully be able to gain some statistics over the years of how many storms managed to cross it, and what sea temperatures were present at the time etc! I really think that a mild positive AO winter helps with our imports. But then again it may be something to do with the jet stream, or even sunspots. So many different theories kicking about. I remember someone saying more power stations help to generate a more unstable atmosphere! Who knows, not me thats for sure! 

Anyway, hope everyone has a happy, stormy Friday  :winky:

My camera will certainly be on standby!

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91
  • Like 2

Posted

There's a lot of muck and murky cloud over the South East this morning and I suspect that will put a lid on any potential storm development for much of the day in our region.

The forecasts yesterday were suggesting  the storms would be further east, but the radar seems to be showing them heading further west.

• Like 1

Posted

There's a lot of muck and murky cloud over the South East this morning and I suspect that will put a lid on any potential storm development for much of the day in our region.

The forecasts yesterday were suggesting  the storms would be further east, but the radar seems to be showing them heading further west.

give it until 10 or something, hopefully it will clear! I also think the westward shift perhaps may allow for more widespread build up of CAPE, should this murk bugger off!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Morning all, misty start here. Hopefully the north sea doesn't ruin storm chances today. The winds should swing more south easterly and then southerly later in the day so hopefully that will help.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

The early storms/heavy rain across southern counties should trundle north into the Midlands and eventually N England this morning and afternoon, then we should see the mist and murk associated with it hopefully clear the SE and EA this afternoon to allow some warm sunshine to break through - airmass will be increasingly unstable across the SE later as steep lapse rates and moist boundary layer move in from near continent, so may see some storms this afternoon/evening.

Netweather storm forecast for today issued last night: http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=convective;sess=

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 5

Posted

Morning all,

Been a while since posting in here, but the hope of a few storms later on has brought me back.  Can't beat a bit of weather anticipation, be it the prospect of either snow (although as some said yesterday, not this time of year!) or storms.  I am hoping the complete lack of anything cold last winter means we are in the firing line for some spectacular storms this spring/summer!

As for today, it's pretty murky out there with the top of the Gherkin building shrouded in mist - the Shard has no chance of being spotted this morning!

Fingers crossed for some storms later today - although I see a couple of us in this region have already struck it lucky with a few rumbles this morning! :good:

Edited by snow raven
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Mornin each. Looks like it may be a very interesting day storm wise. :) Currently it's drizzly and dull in Ippy with a light breeze, and has that 'hopeful' feel to it. A tad muggy but a fresh tang in the air if you get what I mean.

Anyway, fingers, toes, eyes and everything crossable is crossed for some stormy action later for all us storm lovers. :D

Have a good (and stormy) POETS day. :)

Posted

That's an interesting sting in the tail approaching Calais. Could it erupt over the SE?

• Like 2

Posted

All my weather apps show storms for anywhere between 17:00/20:00 this evening. That's a first! :) Not brightening up here yet, but I'm hopeful.

• Like 1

Posted

I think the anticipation of possible storms is nearly as good as the storms themselves. The waiting, watching the sky, listening for spherics, feeling the change in atmosphere and the stillness that precedes the storm. Then......that eerie sound of distant rumbles as it approaches. And then.....forks of lightning piercing the gunmetal clouds like sword thrusts. Delicious! :)

• Like 1

Posted

YAY! The sun has appeared in Ippy. Sparks must fly later. :)

• Like 1

Posted

Allelujah, that word, the SUN !! I love it for the generation of the storms and intense precipitation ironically! Liking it for the purpose of a tan is well in Plan B!

• Like 2