Posted

hi jax

thanks mate

shame its not warmer

probably could predict bank holiday weather without looking

away after tonight for a few days so updates will be a tad sketchy

will do the best i can

back later with monday and tuesday

Hope you are going where the weather is going to be good.

Thanks as ever for the work and effort you put in, enjoy your break and don't worry about us, as the saying goes "Absence makes the heart grow fonder" and we're all fond of you already

• Like 4

Posted

hi norfolk

thanks

not sure your going to like me after this fax update http:////d321955.r.worldssl.net/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.pnghttp:////d321955.r.worldssl.net/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png

monday

Posted Image

an east-south east flow

rain

Posted Image

dry first

showers light before lunch

later in the afternoon

Posted Image

could see a rash of heavy and thundery showers

temps

Posted Image

should be warmer though

15-16 degrees and locally if you get a lot of sun slightly higher

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

tuesday

Posted Image

a breezy but not too strong east-north east flow

rain

Posted Image

again showers around and some heavy

however the chart above looks to be over egging the rain

if we get some sun during the day some nice thunderstorms may be had in the afternoon

i do expect to see some sun today too so not a total loss

temps

around 12-15 degrees

however there is disagreement on the position of the rain for tuesday so this may change again

ukmo for wednesday

Posted Image

easterly flow

temps around 14-15 degrees

pressure looks higher so showers should be less likely although there is a low to our east on the raw fax

a long way out though and always subject to change

• Like 1

Posted

Hello all from the wilds of North Pembrokeshire. No rain since we got here last Saturday, quite odd.

Very sad to hear the news today of the death of Gabriel Garcia Marquez, but what stories he has left with us, descriptions of heat and dusted towns, madness fermented by the sun, love won and lost, struggle, death endured with a handkerchief across the mouth.  We had lunch today in a wonderful tapas bar in mid Pembrokeshire, 3 years since we last ate there, the owner has a Spanish mother, they use local ingredients, the queue was out of the door by the time we had finished at 1:30pm. Came 'home' with an emergency jar of pickled chillies;  there were a couple of emergencies tonight so we are now quite short of emergency chillies.  Which, in itself, is an emergency (this could go on for some time).

One of my favourite Gabriel Garcia Marquez quotes (from One Hundred Years of Solitude):

"It is not true that people stop pursuing dreams because they grow old, they grow old because they stop pursuing dreams."

AS

Edited by abruzzi spur
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

probably could predict bank holiday weather without looking

away after tonight for a few days so updates will be a tad sketchy

Bank Holiday in the UK, let's go figure :)

And do not worry too much about here and enjoy a break away from it all :)

• Like 1

Posted

hi jax

thanks

but i will still pop in to say hello

going to go now

goodnight all and enjoy your easter

Night then JP :)

Posted

Posted

So could this low on su cause an MCS in France that then comes and visits the south east. Remember last year watching them storms jus get wasted out in the sea or go to Belgium or Germany. Just hoping for a good storm this year lol

Posted

Does that depend on how much heat/moisture is coming from the south? I heard someone mention the possibility of a plume a few days ago, but given that Sunday is now forecast to be cooler assumed that wasn't going to be the case.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Hello all from the wilds of North Pembrokeshire. No rain since we got here last Saturday, quite odd.

Very sad to hear the news today of the death of Gabriel Garcia Marquez, but what stories he has left with us, descriptions of heat and dusted towns, madness fermented by the sun, love won and lost, struggle, death endured with a handkerchief across the mouth.  We had lunch today in a wonderful tapas bar in mid Pembrokeshire, 3 years since we last ate there, the owner has a Spanish mother, they use local ingredients, the queue was out of the door by the time we had finished at 1:30pm. Came 'home' with an emergency jar of pickled chillies;  there were a couple of emergencies tonight so we are now quite short of emergency chillies.  Which, in itself, is an emergency (this could go on for some time).

One of my favourite Gabriel Garcia Marquez quotes (from A 100 Years of Solitude):

"It is not true that people stop pursuing dreams because they grow old, they grow old because they stop pursuing dreams."

AS

It is a good quote for sure, but I suspect there's a bit of betwixt and between. To keep with the sleeping analogy, people in whatever they pursue almost always, at some point, become tired. :(

Looking forward to Easter, although it's going to be a bit stressful personally. Looking at some of the charts and JP's analyses, it looks like the rain on Sunday might be delayed until lunchtime for a lot of us? Definitely better than it could have been, as I was expecting rain from almost first light previously.

Have a good Easter all. Not sure I'll be on here much during the next few days, but I won't have disappeared (hopefully) :unsure:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

The chances of a MCS or any time of plume is incredibly low, CAPE and humidity levels are minimal. Expect a raw day on Sunday afternoon. 

Posted

One of my favourite Gabriel Garcia Marquez quotes (from A 100 Years of Solitude):

AS

Great quote. One of my favourites from Marquez is from Love in the Time of Cholera:

"He was still too young to know that the heart's memory eliminates the bad and magnifies the good, and that thanks to this artifice we manage to endure the burden of the past"

Though I do have a fondness for Keats and particularly:

"I equally dislike the favor of the public with the love of a woman -- they are both a cloying treacle to the wings of independence."

Anyway weather: I miss the south east tropics, so much so I have booked next trip back for August...here's to a 1976 summer.

• Like 3

Posted

Morning all :p

In the middle of no where, right out in the sticks.

Unfortuately poor wifi it has just screwed up this post!

Edited by Daniel*

Posted

Morning allIn the middle of no where, right out in the sticks.Unfortuately poor wifi it has just screwed up this post!

Still one of your best ;-) I jest of course. Enjoy the sticks. Is it any colder than in the city?

Edited by canadiancoops
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Just thought I'd post these pictures of the poplars which line the lane — their leaves are this beautiful copper colour when they come out — yet the farmer keeps threatening to cut them all down — over my dead body… we even like the whispering noise they make in the wind and would miss it as it's 'home' to us now.

I took the photos coming back from the most lovely walk yesterday when it was as perfect as it gets… blue sky, and blossom everywhere. But not quite T-shirt weather yet — a very chilly breeze.

But the best was going to the racing stud just up the lane. It's owner is a very famous jockey of the 1970s and he let me see his (and his clients') newborn foals… three little fillies with another three mares just about to foal in the neighbouring stalls. What was so sweet was their mums who were obviously as pleased as Punch with their new babies. But very sadly, they lost a mare and her foal a couple of weeks ago, 5 weeks before her delivery date — she started haemorrhaging and they couldn't stop it... 

But the foals are adorable, just 2 or 3 days old and rock steady on their feet — they'll be let out onto the new spring grass in a few days' time, but come in at night again. One was the daughter of Dubawi which is the best horse in Newmarket. Anyway I've got 3 future Derby winners names to remember, and no, I'm not telling you their names. http:////d321955.r.worldssl.net/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.png

post-8078-0-40550800-1397787194_thumb.jp

post-8078-0-31490300-1397787458_thumb.jp

Edited by Iceni
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

We have had low energy white street lights installed locally, quite like them, anyone else got these?

They are a mixture of LED and CFL.

Similar to this article I expect

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-27052913

So much nicer that those hideous orange ones which infest our roads - if I look south, I can see this horrible orange glow from Haverhill - miles away. Do they have shades to stop light pollution?

Posted

We have had low energy white street lights installed locally, quite like them, anyone else got these?

They are a mixture of LED and CFL.

Similar to this article I expect

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-27052913

Yep we have them here, much better for star watching and the bedroom is a lot darker at night with no orange glow through the curtains.:)

Posted

So much nicer that those hideous orange ones which infest our roads - if I look south, I can see this horrible orange glow from Haverhill - miles away. Do they have shades to stop light pollution?

Ah, but you missed the really important point, what are they like for watching the snow flakes? Seriously it would be lovely to cut the light pollution so that stars become visable. Been on a couple of cruises where on a few occasions they shut the bulk of the lights of, such a wonderful sight.Beautiful day, missed the sunrise as I slept in. Hope the rain on Sunday is delayed some more got a family day with our 4 grandkids, and it be nice if they could go outside and play, but by the sounds of it that won't happen. Start by yearly protest today (Easter and Christmas) refuse to go shopping other than Saturday, as I feel strongly that retail, distribution stores etc worker should get a couple of days off to see their families or if they want partake in the religious aspect of the holiday. Surely we don't need to shop 364 days per year? Trouble is with my protest nobody notices it. Have a great Easter everyone, forget the diet and enjoy your hot cross buns and Easter eggs.
  • Like 2

Posted

Morning all

not quite such an early start for me today :), still managed to get two loads of washing done and out on the line (make the most of the good weather before it all goes horrid).   Nice but a tad nippy out and a light breeze with it, but sunny/bright with just a smattering of cloud.

Yes these new ones are designed to direct light downwards and you can request a shade to be fitted if the light comes towards your house, it certainly helps to remove that yellow glow in the night sky, I can look out SW/W and see the night skies more clearly now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Happy Easter, one and all.

Just heard this on the car radio, on the way into Croydon. Nice way to start a Good Friday morning.

Have a nice day.

Tom.

• Like 2

Posted

Ah, but you missed the really important point, what are they like for watching the snow flakes? Seriously it would be lovely to cut the light pollution so that stars become visable. Been on a couple of cruises where on a few occasions they shut the bulk of the lights of, such a wonderful sight.Beautiful day, missed the sunrise as I slept in. Hope the rain on Sunday is delayed some more got a family day with our 4 grandkids, and it be nice if they could go outside and play, but by the sounds of it that won't happen. Start by yearly protest today (Easter and Christmas) refuse to go shopping other than Saturday, as I feel strongly that retail, distribution stores etc worker should get a couple of days off to see their families or if they want partake in the religious aspect of the holiday. Surely we don't need to shop 364 days per year? Trouble is with my protest nobody notices it.Have a great Easter everyone, forget the diet and enjoy your hot cross buns and Easter eggs.

Hi CK

The lights will be better than the last 3-4 years as the old ones were turned off to save money by the local council.

Regards shops open all year, this was something my father pointed out years ago when the sunday working bill was passed, now 24/7 is normal and it also allows business hours to be "normal" on any day of the week, even if you work full time you could be working a night or a Sunday on normal rates as it is a normal working day, even protests that "religious" days should be allowed for staff is no longer valid as employee T&C's see to that and if they cannot/will not work on a scheduled work day they are deemed in breach of their contract.

Anyone remember the half day Thursday opening of shops? that was so staff who worked the Saturday still got time off, only one shop in town still does this (it is one of the UK's oldest toy shop's).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Morning all and happy Easter weekend http:////d321955.r.worldssl.net/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/angel.gif

post-10773-0-53302700-1397814109_thumb.j

I'm making the most of the dry bit of the long weekend here in MK and enjoying the blossom and lovely spring weather today and tomorrow....

post-10773-0-46945700-1397814195_thumb.j

....hopefully by going up to Liverpool Sunday and Monday I will be missing the worst of the rain - seems like the weekend is very much a game of two halves....

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=news;storyid=5825;sess=

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Chelsfield, Orpington (Kent / SE London) - 115m ASL
  • Location: Chelsfield, Orpington (Kent / SE London) - 115m ASL

Ah, but you missed the really important point, what are they like for watching the snow flakes? Seriously it would be lovely to cut the light pollution so that stars become visable. Been on a couple of cruises where on a few occasions they shut the bulk of the lights of, such a wonderful sight.

Beautiful day, missed the sunrise as I slept in. Hope the rain on Sunday is delayed some more got a family day with our 4 grandkids, and it be nice if they could go outside and play, but by the sounds of it that won't happen. Start by yearly protest today (Easter and Christmas) refuse to go shopping other than Saturday, as I feel strongly that retail, distribution stores etc worker should get a couple of days off to see their families or if they want partake in the religious aspect of the holiday. Surely we don't need to shop 364 days per year? Trouble is with my protest nobody notices it.

Have a great Easter everyone, forget the diet and enjoy your hot cross buns and Easter eggs.

I was just about to write, and then I saw your post - they're not good for snowflake watching! Admittedly, we've not had much opportunity this Winter to partake, but it's difficult to see rain - they just don't cast a 'glow' around the lamp and there's not enough contrast. I worked in the lighting industry for 14 years and know the pros but I have to admit, I do miss the warm, orangey glow from the old sodium lamps - the new LEDs give a much colder, less welcoming feel to the streets. Just personal preference!

Weather wise, warmer than I expected this morning; 2 loads of washing done and on the line and some plants re-potted. Such a shame we have a cool, rainy Sunday to contend with now we have a few days off. http:////d321955.r.worldssl.net/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/sad.png

Happy Easter everyone!

• Like 1

Posted

Touching on the subject of shops opening on bank holiday s I have chosen to close our stove shop for Easter (although we are open tomorrow). The number of customers who have been shocked that we are closing has been surprisingly high but at the end of the day I have two small children and family time comes first. I did open on a bank holiday a few years back and no one turned up anyway!

• Like 1

Posted

Touching on the subject of shops opening on bank holiday s I have chosen to close our stove shop for Easter (although we are open tomorrow). The number of customers who have been shocked that we are closing has been surprisingly high but at the end of the day I have two small children and family time comes first. I did open on a bank holiday a few years back and no one turned up anyway!

Used to work (and was key holder) for a video rental shop in the day and we tried the same and no one turned up, never did it again, I have used shops on what used to be a closed day since, but only because I have to work the days round them so the "off" days I had meant I had no choice since times and such have changed, being 24/7 on means services have to react and be the same these days (such a shame really).

• Like 1