Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 28/03/14

Snowangel-MK

The universe expands 137 miles every 15 seconds ? Is this true if so how do they know ? Could that affect our weather ? Sorry mods please delete or move to appropriate forum If u wish . I was just amazed by this and wanted to share also wasn't sure where to post it :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

The universe expands 137 miles every 15 seconds ? Is this true if so how do they know ? Could that affect our weather ? Sorry mods please delete or move to appropriate forum If u wish . I was just amazed by this and wanted to share also wasn't sure where to post it Posted Image

no, from what I understand, this is not true. The expansion rate of the universe is not actually known, but best guess estimates are a much higher rate of expansion than the figure you quoted, indeed due to the not very well understood phenomena of 'dark energy'.....This is a good topic which is of a keen interest to me. If you'd like to start a thread (or for me to start a thread for you) in the Science sub-forum, then I'm sure there will be plenty of contributors :)

• Like 1

no, from what I understand, this is not true. The expansion rate of the universe is not actually known, but best guess estimates are a much higher rate of expansion than the figure you quoted, indeed due to the not very well understood phenomena of 'dark energy'.....This is a good topic which is of a keen interest to me. If you'd like to start a thread (or for me to start a thread for you) in the Science sub-forum, then I'm sure there will be plenty of contributors :)

Yes please if you could as I also am very interested in this . Sorry once again for posting here :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Afternoon all. :)

Sunny skies here. There was potential good photography weather here this morning, with light mist in places, but we had enough annoying North Sea stratus to ruin the effect and it didn't clear until the mist had gone.

Easter soon. :D although from the charts and Tamara's post, it might be better at the start of the weekend than the end and it'll almost certainly be colder than today or tomorrow on any of the long weekend days. Oh well.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow, Storms. Summer: Heat, Thunder

Another stunning day with unbroken sunshine, the sea breeze isn't as evident today and there's only a few wispy high clouds around so feeling warmer than yesterday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Afternoon all

After another cold and frosty start it has again turned into a bright sunny day, quite warm out too, shame it all going to change for the weekend, Sunday into Monday is looking rather wet and windy, expect even with temps in the low teens the wind will be coming from a colder direction.

Oh well, enjoy it while you can I say :)

Posted

Afternoon :D

We could do with some rain, I watered the garden vigorously as the ground was quite firm & dry.

Frosts are certainly not unheard of in April as we approach early May, the threat diminishes.

Have a splendid day :clap::yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

We could do with some rain, you are joking?

The top soil might be dry but dig a little further and it's water logged! Have you forgotten what we went through this Autumn-Winter

• Like 1

Posted

I would be interested as well  if you could set it up AJ.

What a glorious day it's been, nothing quite like April, 6am this morning cold and frosty and now very pleasant and warm.

Great analysis as always Tams, hoping Easter won't be too bad, really don't want too much rain.

Did anyone see the moon rise last night, I was on the M25 in Essex driving towards the QE2 Bridge, it was huge and quite red when it first came up above the horizon.

Have a nice afternoon/evening.

Hi Bjay. Yes, it was a great moonrise as I was driving back from Heathfield way, with a yellowish / reddy tinge to it. I was hoping for a blood moon but as it rose above the lower dusty layer it cleared to a bright white. Lovely full moon anyway though. We had a lighter wind today so it felt quite nice out there. I'm not quite sure if the shorts and T-shirt the postman decided to don today was quite the right attire however...maybe I'm just getting old. 

Nice to see everyone back. Eynsford brought back a few memories from when I lived in Sevenoaks as a lad. My first girlfriend lived there and it was my duty to take her back home on the train from Bat & Ball station to Eynsford. On the plus side, it was the old slam door trains with individual compartments. Never quite managed to join the three foot high club though.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I would be interested as well  if you could set it up AJ.

Hi Ian, I'll set it up this evening......I'm actually going to create a pinned 'general astronomy/cosmology' thread that'll become a permanent feature for those interested, and we can have topics and/questions of the week, so I'll kick it off with Snowlady's question on the expanding universe with relevant links to resources

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Afternoon, top notch day here, lots of glorious sunshine and pleasantly warm.

Great post Tamara and echoes my feelings going forward and no surprise to see the GFS now showing heights remaining over Scandinavia with further ridge west from this and also support fro the Azores high. Putting us close to shallow low heights over the Central and southern continent but never looking very unsettled with rainfall more in the way of showers than anything else. 

The Atlantic looks mighty quiet, even more surprising considering the winter just gone.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Afternoon, top notch day here, lots of glorious sunshine and pleasantly warm.

Great post Tamara and echoes my feelings going forward and no surprise to see the GFS now showing heights remaining over Scandinavia with further ridge west from this and also support fro the Azores high. Putting us close to shallow low heights over the Central and southern continent but never looking very unsettled with rainfall more in the way of showers than anything else. 

The Atlantic looks mighty quiet, even more surprising considering the winter just gone.

Just wait till you see GEM!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Pressure rebuilds from the 22nd thanks to the block closer by

Posted

for anyone interested, new netweather astronomy thread......

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/80041-general-astronomycosmology-thread/

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days
ajpoolshark, on 16 Apr 2014 - 13:01, said:

no, from what I understand, this is not true. The expansion rate of the universe is not actually known, but best guess estimates are a much higher rate of expansion than the figure you quoted, indeed due to the not very well understood phenomena of 'dark energy'.....This is a good topic which is of a keen interest to me. If you'd like to start a thread (or for me to start a thread for you) in the Science sub-forum, then I'm sure there will be plenty of contributors http:////d321955.r.worldssl.net/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png

The Spitzer telescope has now measured the expansion rate (i.e. the Hubble constant) to an accuracy of 3%. This can be combined under certain assumptions with other results (e.g. WMAP) to get an accuracy of 1% and a value of 69.3 km/sec/Mpc. Dark energy is causing the expansion rate to increase over time, so the universe is flying apart at an ever increasing rate. The best candidate for dark energy is the energy associated with empty space, due to virtual particles.

Posted

The Spitzer telescope has now measured the expansion rate (i.e. the Hubble constant) to an accuracy of 3%. This can be combined under certain assumptions with other results (e.g. WMAP) to get an accuracy of 1% and a value of 69.3 km/sec/Mpc. Dark energy is causing the expansion rate to increase over time, so the universe is flying apart at an ever increasing rate. The best candidate for dark energy is the energy associated with empty space, due to virtual particles.

hi there, good post, probably best to copy it/move it into the astronomy thread. If you need any help with the copying process then feel free to give me a shout....It saves moving this thread off on tangents...cheers http:////d321955.r.worldssl.net/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png

Posted

Lovely sunny day in London. Pity I spent it chained to a computer.

The astronomy thread is a great idea AJPS.

Posted

After a day stuck inside I have managed to spend some part of this fine afternoon/evening outside in the warm sunshine, needed to come back in to think about dinner and wanted to catch the news on TV.

• Like 1

Posted

hi all

tonight chilly and dry

a very slim chance of a frost

poss mist to look out for

-----------------------------------------------------

tomorrow

Posted Image

winds switch to a north west flow tomorrow and will be breezy

rainfall

Posted Image

looks mainly dry am

a chance of some light drizzle in the afternoon

temps

Posted Image

north of our region around 15-16

south around 16-18 with a chance of a 20 if any prolonged sun is seen

----------------------------------------------------------------------

tomorrow night

Posted Image

Posted Image

a weak northerly flow

rain = none

temps

Posted Image

cold if we see clear skys

warm if we dont

back soon with the rest

• Like 5

Posted

having computer issues

friday

Posted Image

a weak north east-east flow

rainfall

none

temps

Posted Image

10-13 degrees

the cooler east coast regions

----------------------------------------------------------------

friday night

Posted Image

a weak north east flow

rain = none

temps

Posted Image

chilly and localised frost is possible

----------------------------------------------------------------

saturday

Posted Image

an east-north east flow

rainfall

Posted Image

should stay dry

however there is a trough on the fax which may be a pain for mid afternoon

as shown on the ukmo chart as well

temps

Posted Image

between 10-12 degrees

maybe a shade lower east and far south east coastal

maybe a shade higher the far west of our region

i will keep my eye on saturday to see if this trough is showing tomorrow and update the new ones later

back later

john

• Like 6

Posted

Great posts by all again :good:

still dark for me in the morning before I get started, and frosty the last few days too.

• Like 1

Posted

Is there a chance of thunderstorms on Sunday from the low coming up from France I know it's hard to predict

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

just watched the weather on bbc news 24,why couldnt that low have spun in like that in jan or feb,would have

made alot of people happy

• Like 2