Posted Image

a weak south west flow

rainfall

Posted Image

none

temps

Posted Image

around 8 degrees and will feel chillier tonight

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

saturday

Posted Image

a south west flow and may be breezy today

rainfall

Posted Image

shows dry on there

but the fax shows showers am

clearing pm

temps

Posted Image

around 16 degrees

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

saturday night

Posted Image

a windy south west flow

rainfall

Posted Image

starts mainly dry but showers enroute overnight

temps

Posted Image

not cold around 8-10 degrees

------------------------------------------------------------------------

sunday

Posted Image

a windy north west to west flow and will feel chillier than of late

rain

Posted Image

looks likely to be wet

and some showers late pm may be heavy

temps

Posted Image

Posted Image

maybe reach a 20 again today

a chance of something stormy in the heavier bursts in the afternoon but hard to call at present

anyway thats it for now

back later

john Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

I cannot believe how utterly shattered I feel since the clocks "moved" last weekend, longer nights maybe nice but boy does it bugger up the body clock.

Since I am an early riser I am now back to dark starts again, PAH!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Yes....my niece who has asthma, has been a bit chesty; and Nipper has a nasty cough. Hope the smog and dust clear off soon.

Don't know whether it has owt to do with atmosphere, but sunset this evening was quite muted but lovely. It certainly looked pretty reflected off Candle Tree next door.

Have a good evening folks.

post-17085-0-87733200-1396554240_thumb.j

post-17085-0-50212200-1396554284_thumb.j

• Like 5

Posted

Let's hope tommorow is a improvement, starting to think that we are in 1950's London, known for the great smogs. I know we no longer use coal to heat our homes, but as the population is growing our demand for energy will grow, so we will need to burn more fossil fuels. Which will pour more pollutants in the air. I think occasions like this will get all too common. Imo little has been imposed to limit the impacts, this is obviously not good enough, and the government need to buck up their ideas.

I don't mind the occasionally smoggy day, but when it persists it's not pleasant. Today was rather muggy, and overcast not the nicest of days... I wouldn't mind some precipitation, it would disperse the bad air!! Nighty all :lazy:

To conclude, I caught a robin in flight :)

post-19153-0-17716400-1396561527_thumb.j

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 1

Posted

It's nothing to like what it was in the 50s and earlier, before the Clean Air Act. Before anyone suggests otherwise, I wasn't actually around then, but even in the 30 years I've lived in London I've known it much worse. That said, I did notice both the smell and that I was a bit short of breath after a not particularly strenuous walk.

• Like 2

Posted

YAY! back online, innerweb is playing silly burgers with me tonight, taken over an hour for it to return.

Feeling cooler here (well I am anyway) and not sure why as it does not appear to be that much cooler.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and no more than 25degC

Evening everyoneBeen AWOL as I have been doinjg one of my mammoth cross-country expeditions these last few days. This time N/S.Left Sussex at 10am on tuesday with beautiful weather at 19degC...only to run into the smog at M25/M3 junction. This lasted all the way round and up the M1 to northampton (temp 11degC) where the sun broke through. Then from Nottingham upwards til Sheffield it was smog again.Finally arrived in Leeds at 2pm ...sunny and up to 17deg C again..and popped in to see out adopted SE Regionnaire Numpty who was having some serious spinal surgery that day.  His room gave a beautiful view across the Leeds skyline with lovey Cnb developing but no storms!!Pleased to say that Numpty's operation appears to have been a complete success...albeit he is off work for the next 6 weeks...but he is now home..Travelled back down today in dismal 11deg C murk apart from a brief interlude between Luton and Sussex this afternoon when we got up to 20degC  on the M25!Very tired so going to bed now....amazing the spread of weather you see/travel trhough on long distance journeys.Back tomorrowxxxx 

• Like 2

Posted

I can't say I've noticed any effects of the pollution/smog walking around London. It might be because I usually live at 4500ft and it feels like I have an abundance of oxygen at sea level.

• Like 1

Posted

just showing this for now

Posted Image

looks pretty wet

ukmo uppers

Posted Image

looks quite cool

around 14 but cooler far north of our region

holding this tonight as will probably be different tomorrow

going to take an early one tonight

goodnight all

• Like 2

Posted

Feeling a bit fresher but that may be the temps rather than the air itself

Posted

It's nothing to like what it was in the 50s and earlier, before the Clean Air Act. Before anyone suggests otherwise, I wasn't actually around then, but even in the 30 years I've lived in London I've known it much worse. That said, I did notice both the smell and that I was a bit short of breath after a not particularly strenuous walk.

Totally agree CR, having lived through smog in the 50's, I remember having to wear a scarf around my face with a hanky over my mouth, some people say that this was a vast improvement on my looks. I can also remember waking up to more than 3mm of cement dust all over everything, but I think that may have been a fairly localised event. I also remember one of the great smogs can't remember the year but must have been mid to late 50's my father used to cycle to work and home for dinner he done that journey for over 15 years 4 times a day, one lunch time he never arrived home, he couldn't find the house, boy that was a pea souper. Those where the days my friend.Looks a lot clearer out there today, more of a breeze, cars absolutely filthy after its journey to Peterborough yesterday, good day a nice million pounds worth of work won, lucky I went my input was a hand shake. Today is going to get very naughty got the bank manager in, think I better behave myself, but feel like telling him to stuff his bank where the sun dosen't shine (assume that my weather reference for this post :-)) he / his bank really has left us in a most difficult position but for the time being that all I can say about it, no doubt once it's resolved then I will say more, but I hate salesman and unfortunately these days that all bank managers are, just very poor salesmen.Have a great POETS day, and more importantly enjoy yourselves.
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any weather

ironically despite being in the asthma club, not one side effect off this smoggynessnessness. I have postponed any cycling though.

heres a pic from Long Mynd last saturday, some 1000ft up!

post-18578-0-29883700-1396594823_thumb.j

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Morning, grey and murky here this morning. Hopefully this and the pollution will clear later.

Posted

Mornin each. It's very, very dull and overcast here this morning; and with a current temp' of 13c it still feels down right chilly. Brrrrr! :O

Hope it warms up a bit later, as I feel like doing some more gardening. We dug out a whole bed yesterday which will be part sitting area and part rockery. I'm even (and possibly a tad ambitiously) planning on making some rustic type steps up a small slope.

That should be fun and games. :D

Have a great Poets day and take care folks.

Posted

Eh? What? What's this chap burbling on about? Sounds like one of the those ghastly TV ads.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow, Storms. Summer: Heat, Thunder

Another dull murky start, the smell of sulphur was immediately noticeable again this morning but more of a breeze today so hopefully it'll clear. A mild morning again at 13C

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Eh? What? What's this chap burbling on about? Sounds like one of the those ghastly TV ads.

Just some chancer advertising loans, it's been deleted now, first time I have ever reported a post, think that will be his first and last contribution to NW.:)

Thanks for that - obviously got through the spam filters! Morning all, still a bit hazy here but Air pollution levels are much lower today (As you can see on the left image from DEFRA.) as we pick up more of a south westerly flow.Tree pollen levels are moderate to high though (as you can see on the right image from the UK Met Office.) ......so wheezing might be replaced by sneezing ! post-10773-0-85715100-1396601387_thumb.jHappy Friday :-) Edited by MKsnowangel
  • Like 2

Posted

Posted Image 'noon anyone :)

busy morning in work and my hopes for an early day are dashed too.

was a very fresh SW'ly breeze when i walked into work this morning. notice its brightened up lots though.

as MK says

Happy Friday! :D

• Like 2

Posted

Mornin each. It's very, very dull and overcast here this morning; and with a current temp' of 13c it still feels down right chilly. Brrrrr! Posted Image

Hope it warms up a bit later, as I feel like doing some more gardening. We dug out a whole bed yesterday which will be part sitting area and part rockery. I'm even (and possibly a tad ambitiously) planning on making some rustic type steps up a small slope.

That should be fun and games. Posted Image

Have a great Poets day and take care folks.

still horribly murky here, with the temp only 11.1 which IS chilly

Gardening  --  damn have to do some soon

• Like 1

Posted

It was foolish to compare what we had in the 1950's to today. Nonetheless it's the worst I've seen it. But I've had a short life. East London; generally has poorer air quality this is due to our wind direction mostly from the sw which clears the pollution from west london. Into our way, today the air quality was much better - although the fresh air is not entirely here. Cynical sort of day, overcast and boring. Not remarkably warm 13.4c April is a changeable month, I wonder how the month will progress.

Have a fabulous POETS day :-)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Posted Image 'noon anyone Posted Image

busy morning in work and my hopes for an early day are dashed too.

was a very fresh SW'ly breeze when i walked into work this morning. notice its brightened up lots though.

as MK says

Happy Friday! Posted Image

'noon Mick Posted Image

No POETS day for me either or another day off until Sunday...oh well soon be the Easter bank holiday weekend Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Afternoon all

A dull and cooler day here, air seems a bit cleaner though thankfully and left for work this morning in light rain (rather than the car ha ha), and as it is a two day weekend for me I hope to get plenty of time in with the family as well as doing something creative art wise I think.

Hope you all having a good day and welcome to the weekend :)

• Like 1

Posted

Still chilly here and duuuullllll!

My niece's ex just turned up to collect Nipper and there was a guy in the car filming the whole thing for a documentary about ex's band. :( Why does that always happen when you look like a scruffy Old bag lady? :-D Aaaaaaagh!!

Edited by Keraunophile

Posted

feel like telling him to stuff his bank where the sun dosen't shine (assume that my weather reference for this post :-))

Posted Image

Best weather ref in a post I have seen :good:

• Like 2

Posted

Well since tomorrow likes like the better day of the weekend, have started the washing early so I can get it ready for the line, that way I am free to see the family tomorrow and leaves Sunday open to stay in since the forecast is salad onions.