Clegg Vs Farage: Europe Debate

Who votes for head of EU? Who voted for Mr rompey pompey and so on? No one. Please tell me was he ever on a ballot you had to tick? 

John,

The council of ministers at Brussels are appointed by their various governments who are elected by the peoples of their various states - these governments naturally want to retain their seats, so in effect this is a form of indirect control ultimately by the people - if they decided collectively that their representative at Brussels was an absolute toss pot I'm pretty sure they could bring pressure on their government to remove him.

Also the council of ministers do not sit in isolation dreaming up all sorts of weird and wonderful edicts - they are responding to suggestions from their various governments. I agree that it does not appear to be as democratic as we would like but it is not a dictatorship by a group of faceless individuals either and ultimately the people can have a choice as described above. 

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Clegg was useless and that's coming from someone who is pro Europe, he repeated the same lines over and over again.   He failed to mention that not all EU laws are bad, some are good for the UK, no me

These sound like party political broadcasts by the other parties running a smear campaign. LOL i love it when someone thinks they are the only person on the planet that has a brain and really knows wh

We are long due a referendum on EU membership, the main parties have tried to avoid any sort of vote or debate on the subject. I don't believe EU membership is the be all or end all of civilization as

Posted Images

Because originally BB it was about free trade not about bureaucracy, protectionism, federalism and imposing rules and regulations.If she had not been knifed by the likes of Clarke and heseltine you know as well as I do that she would have taken us out by around 1995.

I'm asking you to use your imagination here a little but just suppose that when she left No 10, she were to have invited to take over the presidency of Europe, I'm sure she would have made a pretty good job of it, since she was the type of person, who no matter what position you put her in, she would have given it her all - very likely she would have shaken a lot of things up and we wouldn't have exactly the same EU as today but it would have still existed and no doubt would have been better and if that was the case maybe UKIP wouldn't exist today either.

But this does make the point that if there is sufficient of a groundswell it is possible to change things within the EU - it is a constantly evolving organisation where we as a nation could have contributed a lot if it were not for so many bloody minded people about.

Edited by mike Meehan

I don't recall voting for The Queen either, or the speaker. or the head of the armed forces etc etc. I voted for an MP to do all that stuff for me,.... well apart from the Queen!

I suspect you voted Lib Dem Dave - you don't seem willing to answer this question. 

The British people must be allowed to determine who governs them.

• Like 1

I'm asking you to use your imagination here a little but just suppose that when she left No 10, she were to have invited to take over the presidency of Europe, I'm sure she would have made a pretty good job of it, since she was the type of person, who no matter what position you put her in, she would have given it her all - very likely she would have shaken a lot of things up and we wouldn't have exactly the same EU as today but it would have still existed and no doubt would have been better and if that was the case maybe UKIP wouldn't exist today either.

But this does make the point that if there is sufficient of a groundswell it is possible to change things within the EU - it is a constantly evolving organisation where we as a nation could have contributed a lot if it were not for so many bloody minded people about.

She would have found it impossible to work with these Eurocrats, by 1990 it was clear that we as a country should have gone one way and they should have gone the other but because of a few failed bottlers who panicked, and have since being proved wrong on nearly every issue, we have ended up getting increasingly sucked into this European machine. Well we will not stand for it any longer.

Dave UKIP is a broad church and support is increasing in working class northern areas like yours

If UKIP's political leaders are a broad church then in its a broad church made up of the dispossessed, the never possessed, the malcontented, Alf Garnetts and those who like to ride a bandwagon. Edited by Weather-history

Anarchy for the UK...!!

post-5386-0-33898100-1398676751_thumb.jp

This photo is doing its rounds on social media sites of Nigel Farage 1983.

Edited by NL

I suspect you voted Lib Dem Dave - you don't seem willing to answer this question. 

The British people must be allowed to determine who governs them.

Personally i don't much care who decides tiny bits of tedious regulation. When the EU starts dictating tax policy, that's the time i'll call for a referendum.

*I should say that while i'm in no rush to support one, i don't actually oppose having one. I just don't like Cameron's pandering.

• Like 1

If UKIP's political leaders are a broad church then in its a broad church made up of the dispossessed, the never possessed, the malcontented, Alf Garnetts and those who like to ride a bandwagon.

Well whether you like it or not, and I suspect you don't WH, Nigel has shaken up the political scene and more and more people are identifying with what UKIP are saying - we want our country back.

• Like 2

I don't recall voting for The Queen either, or the speaker. or the head of the armed forces etc etc. I voted for an MP to do all that stuff for me,.... well apart from the Queen!

When the EU arguably have more powers over British laws than the MP's, maybe we should have a say in who gets in charge?

I don't recall there ever being a vote on who becomes head of the EU, but somehow people don't see that as undemocratic.

The EU is a bureaucracy, I find it astonishing so many people are fine with the British people not even being allowed to vote on whether they want to stay in a Union run by people who haven't even been put in to their position by the people they are "working for".

Edited by Sainsbo
  • Like 2

Who votes for head of EU? Who voted for Mr rompey pompey and so on? No one. Please tell me was he ever on a ballot you had to tick? 

I believe he was elected by the Council of Europe - this consists of people appointed to this position by our various elected governments.

Ultimately if the people disagree with their government's choice I dare say it would be possible to put pressure on the appointing government, variously though the medias, lobbying or through their national ballot box.

That seems to be about 20 years old WH, nonetheless the knocking of people like Major and Clarke rings true. 

It is a travesty Clarke is still in government and after the 2010 election, Major said he hoped that 'coalition would continue beyond 2015'. No wonder Maggie was disappointed in him ! Failures who have let Britain down.

Well whether you like it or not, and I suspect you don't WH, Nigel has shaken up the political scene and more and more people are identifying with what UKIP are saying - we want our country back.

And to get that does it mean that you will only count the votes in your favour? - Perhaps a Crimean type referendum.

That seems to be about 20 years old WH, nonetheless the knocking of people like Major and Clarke rings true. 

It is a travesty Clarke is still in government and after the 2010 election, Major said he hoped that 'coalition would continue beyond 2015'. No wonder Maggie was disappointed in him ! Failures who have let Britain down.

Edited by summer blizzard

Main Parties are going to target UKIP as a racist party. Must be running out of ideas and have no real convincing arguments in support of EU then.

• Like 4

The irony is that the better UKIP does, the more nails are driven into the coffin of the UK.
  • Like 1

My fear is that by this continued sniping by the Euro sceptics is that eventually they will end up splitting the country into pros and antis no matter which side wins and in the long run this ain't going do us a lot of good.

My personal feeling it would have been much better to have left this all alone and continue trying to make what improvements we can along the way.

BB has shown how single minded and bloody minded UKIP can be in trying to get its way.

• Like 1

Main Parties are going to target UKIP as a racist party. Must be running out of ideas and have no real convincing arguments in support of EU then.

Which, when considering the overtly racist wittering from UKIP Councillors, is hardly surprising?

• Like 1

BB has shown how single minded and bloody minded UKIP can be in trying to get its way.

You mean like the EU is when making countries re run referendums until the 'right' result is achieved.

• Like 1

You mean like the EU is when making countries re run referendums until the 'right' result is achieved.

Or not having one at all then slipping the same reforms through under a different name .

Which, when considering the overtly racist wittering from UKIP Councillors, is hardly surprising?

I guess all Aussies are racists then.

Do you seriously expect that in the event of UKIP failing to get a result they want they will just leave it at that - no way José - they will keep on chipping away until they do get the result they want and then expect the rest of us to accept it - meanwhile the constant uncertainty is hardly likely to be beneficial to UK plc.

The European Single market is a good thing; the EU itself and its bloated politicians are not.

The one sizefits all also doesn't work, as proved since the financial crisis.

The Euro experiment needs reform but i've been hearing that for the last 2 decades, with no visible change. But that's hardly surprising.

Why would a bunch of 'career' Eurocrats who constantly feather their own lucrative nests actually drive any real change in the way the EU and its associated quangos operate?

It's like asking turkeys to vote for Christmas to come 4 times/year - highly unlikely to happen.

• Like 1