Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 13/03/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Oh jolly welcome back Tam :good: - and hooray, CS! that grumpy sod will not be missed :p

Some clearance of the PPN to our south which is disappointing - the night is still young.

hope that mass of PPN up north heads south, 2.9c cooling of :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Surprise rumbles and hail today which is always nice. The one thing you can't deny about April is it's full of surprises!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Surprise rumbles and hail today which is always nice. The one thing you can't deny about April is it's full of surprises!

I'm surprised it's April ......I thought it was still March !! :-)Clocks change on Sunday post-10773-0-23217500-1395860437_thumb.j Edited by MKsnowangel
  • Like 1

Posted

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

cold tonight

later on as we go through the night the showers more likely turn more wintry

just a case of watching the radar and see what happens

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tomorrow

Posted Image

winds turn more easterly and will be a shade stronger

rainfall

Posted Image

any early showers may be wintry

however by lunchtime on

Posted Image

more persistant rain moves in

some areas to the very far south east may miss these altogether

by late pm

Posted Image

showers becoming light and patchy and will clear before night

temps

Posted Image

starts cold

but will warm up during the day

Posted Image

Posted Image

should hit around 8-10 degrees

but will feel cold in the wind

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tomorrow night

Posted Image

a breezy east-south east flow

rainfall

Posted Image

looks like some showers around but more to the north of the region

temps

Posted Image

warmer where it rains-around 5-6 degrees

low of 2-4 degrees where it stays dry

a local frost is possible very very low confidence on that

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

friday

Posted Image

a still breezy and cold east-south east flow

rain

Posted Image

sunshine and showers today

maybe some heavy bursts north of our region

temps

Posted Image

Posted Image

around 10-13 degrees

some of the late pm showers may turn thundery with hail too

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

friday night

Posted Image

a breezy south easterly flow

rainfall

Posted Image

should be dry

temps

Posted Image

not cold around 6-7 degrees

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

saturday

Posted Image

still a breezy south east flow

rainfall

Posted Image

looks dry

temps

Posted Image

between 13-15 degrees

the north and east of our region may stay a shade lower temp wise due to slow moving cloud

be back later with the rest

john

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I'm surprised it's April ......I thought it was still March !! :-)

Clocks change on Sunday

Posted Imageimage.jpg

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

the snow depth cup can always be wheeled out of spring/summer hibernation....the thread is just on temporary lock, so just say the word and.......

Nope All I had is rain..... Leave it be... :)

• Like 2

Posted

Apart from an hour or so of intermittent heavy, blustery rain early-mid afternoon, bright and sunny most of the day here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snow and a good Thunder & Lightening

Evening all, been busy managing splitting my time between the family stuff, work deadlines, where everything seems to be a priority and college, I'm not sure sometimes (like most of us) how I seem to fit it all in. Multi-tasking is being tested to the extreme! Icy cold sleet here today, but not an awful lot more to report weather wise. Need to be in London in the morn for an all day conference I'd rather not be at, but ho hum, what funders want, funders get.

All the very best all and may you all be granted the positive energy to counter your respective 'battles' whatever they may be. Alix x

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

Hello everyone - hope you are all wellPosted Image

Things are changing for me at the moment with a lot going on, and rather too much to worry and be anxious about at home.  One outside consequences of that change is getting Shadow my cat used to being in the car and driving distances as I try to get a new catering business set up away from Hastings, which makes the coming months very uncertain where it will lead, and where it will take me in the process *hopefully to better things and better days*

A crate was purchased from Pets at Home with some grateful help for this purpose - it is really more of a dog crate than one for cats but I want Shadow to have plenty of room and be able to see me clearly in the car so I can talk to him. I don't have long at all to get him used to the car (he has only been in it once or twice in years just a mile or so to the vets) - his first proper journey of almost two hours will be at the weekend - but he has already taken to the crate itself and at least made himself at home in it on terra firma herePosted Image

Posted Image009.JPG

In terms of all things weather, well we have this very belated colder snap at the moment with hints of wintry precipitation scattered around the region as some members have reported today. Its a far far cry from the bitterly cold conditions of last March and not amounting to anything and its wintry extent is some sleet and hail (and maybe a few wet snow flakes for some of us to lay claim to at least witnessing something resembling the real white stuff falling from the sky this 'winter', and there is a chance of more of this during the evening. But I have no excited plans to scan the darkness for scenes like thisPosted Image

Posted Image034.JPG

With time overnight the associated upper cold pool that is bringing the current conditions will move away further westwards and a gradual warming up process begins with an extra degree or so per day till we get to the weekend and quite obviously warmer air moves in from the south east.

The current synoptic pattern is one that has been completely AWOL for a very very long time, as finally the dying winter time polar vortex transfers it bulk of energy into Siberia and high pressure appearing to the north of the UK to replace several months of endless lows

At the same time, a cut off area of low pressure is set to be rotating in the atlantic to the north of the Azores area and the computer models are trying to work out how this aligns itself against the high pressure block to the north and how much influence it has over our region and other southern parts of the country. There is certainly enough push from the south around this low pressure system to the south west to advect something of a tropical continental influence into our region as the current relatively colder north easterly airstream veers south easterly in the coming days

Good agreement is shown by ECM ensemble members through to the early part of next week to maintain the fairly warm Spring conditions which begin this weekend, but more especially on Sunday.

The slight uncertainty of the tilt of the low pressure is evident in the ensemble maps, but overall it looks as though the wind will maintain a flow rather east of south and showery rain bands that come around the trough to the south west will be restricted further west of our region. The odd shower is possible, but it looks generally dry and quite pleasant in any sunshine with temperatures considerably higher than at present. Those of us on east facing coasts will most likely to be that bit cooler with the wind coming off the sea, but with the wind blowing from the nearby continent rather than down the North Sea itself cloud amounts shouldn't, hopefully, be too large.

Posted Image.

Beyond this there is some uncertainty, and possibilities are that something of a breakdown to cooler and slightly more unsettled conditions may occur as pressure finally falls from the south west - but this could well be more apparent west of our region once more.  I think that the -NAO conditions that are currently setting up could well be quite a feature during April. This could give a variety of weather for us with warmer sunnier weather alternating with chilly cloudier days from the North Sea and also with the threat of troughs trying to come up from the south west to give showers.

Quite a common mixture of weather for the time of year - April is characteristically capricious. But then that is her perogative to keep changing her mind Posted Image Posted Image

lovely post Tamarma, glad to see you posting again. Hope all the private stuff is okay now. The same to you Tom. I would of replied to your post, but Tamaras essay ;-) deserved the reply.

Weather today.., hummmm.. Pretty cold and unpleasant . Goodnight guys

• Like 1

Posted

sunday

Posted Image

a weak south-south east flow

temps

Posted Image

around 15-16 degrees

now east and north east and south costal regions may have temps slightly lower due to cloudcover

looks dry Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

most places should see some sun throughout the day

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

monday

Posted Image

a breezy southerly flow

temps

Posted Image

Posted Image

around 14 degrees

however expect some heavy and potentially thundery downpours

regards

john

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Had 3mm of rain here in Egham this afternoon - moved through pretty quickly but was mostly light/moderate so wasn't aware of any sleet or anything else falling. Clear and chilly now.

Posted

How frustrating when the conditions are favourable for something wintery the ppn is either far too north or west. Time to call it a day, there are more important things to be done, nighty night :lazy:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Evening all

Finally got round to getting back online (busy evening doing other stuff and being out and about), glad to see Tams is back with us :good: and another fine sequence of posts from JP too, I am liking the fact we appear to be dropping this brief cold spell and moving back to something milder again (sorry cold lovers, I have waited and waited for cold this Winter and now moved my hopes to Spring and Summer)

Had a few showers here, nothing much mind, does still feel nippy out and have not been able to apply the screen cover to the car due to the breeze and the showers, I fear I shall have to set ouot earlier in the morning armed with a scraper and can of de-icer.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

monday

a breezy southerly flow

temps

around 14 degrees

however expect some heavy and potentially thundery downpours

regards

john

Yes, I was wondering about the thunder potential next week earlier as well. I briefly looked at CAPE charts etc. but not for too long. I guess it'd be good to get the warmish weather in first. :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Evening all

Finally got round to getting back online (busy evening doing other stuff and being out and about), glad to see Tams is back with us Posted Image and another fine sequence of posts from JP too, I am liking the fact we appear to be dropping this brief cold spell and moving back to something milder again (sorry cold lovers, I have waited and waited for cold this Winter and now moved my hopes to Spring and Summer)

Had a few showers here, nothing much mind, does still feel nippy out and have not been able to apply the screen cover to the car due to the breeze and the showers, I fear I shall have to set ouot earlier in the morning armed with a scraper and can of de-icer.

Unfortunately it does look like it'll cool down after midweek though, as you'd expect in Spring, but not to the extent of the cold we had in early April last year imho (as a recent poster has implied on the MDT) - when you see certain posters there, you know exactly what the theme of their posts will be...

• Like 2

Posted

Unfortunately it does look like it'll cool down after midweek though, as you'd expect in Spring, but not to the extent of the cold we had in early April last year imho (as a recent poster has implied on the MDT) - when you see certain posters there, you know exactly what the theme of their posts will be...

I would not like a long drawn out cold spell like last year (did not like then TBH), I like my seasons to play ball :)

I have weaned myself off most of the heating but as I gain age I find my joints due to past injuries no longer like the cold as much as I did, not even that old really, just a broken body that now-a-days likes it dry and warm rather than cold and damp it seems. *waves walking stick*

• Like 2

Posted

Posted ImagePosted Image

http://www.newx-forecasts.com/nao.html

at present i am watching this

if this goes neutral or negative i wouldnt rule out a cold blast in april

however  its guesswork at present

at least the weekend looks useable Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Posted ImagePosted Image

http://www.newx-forecasts.com/nao.html

at present i am watching this

if this goes neutral or negative i wouldnt rule out a cold blast in april

however  its guesswork at present

at least the weekend looks useable Posted Image

can you fix it so it does not? pleeeeeeeeeaaaaaassssseeeeeeee?

• Like 1

Posted

hi jax

i will see what i can do Posted Image

ecm ensembles

temps

Posted Image

safe to say fi is on the 1st there

wind

Posted Image

breezy but nothing big

think gfs does its windstorm in fi again

rain

Posted Image

dry to the 3rd barring the odd shower

the 3rd gfs goes mad Posted Image

sticking again to my fax charts for now until a bit more agreement shows

• Like 2

Posted

hi jax

i will see what i can do Posted Image

ecm ensembles

temps

Posted Image

safe to say fi is on the 1st there

wind

Posted Image

breezy but nothing big

think gfs does its windstorm in fi again

rain

Posted Image

dry to the 3rd barring the odd shower

the 3rd gfs goes mad Posted Image

sticking again to my fax charts for now until a bit more agreement shows

Da Man :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Personally I'm seeing April as being an average month temperature wise, but drier than average. I think easterly winds will be common this month, but no real arctic blast with heights persisting to our north/north east and low pressure remaining to our south west. Just a few weak fronts, sunshine and temperatures will probably be dependent on how cloudy the flow is.

Shame this set up didn't happen either during mid-winter (we would be currently being buried in snow), or summer where we could see a lot of warm/hot sunny weather and some thundery downpours due to that low south west of the UK. Oh well, beggars can't be choosers :p

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

120 DAYS OF HOT SUNSHINE: Britain set to bask in longest summer since 1910 say forecasters THE WHOLE of Britain is about to roast in a scorching FOUR-MONTH super-summer with temperatures hitting 100F within weeks experts say. THE ENTIRE COUNTRY is heading for the hottest summer in HISTORY - one that will put even last year's sizzling heatwave in the shade.

Early long-range weather models predict scorching temperatures and wall-to-wall sunshine will arrive in May and hold out until the end of August.

Forecasters said late spring will “light the blue touch paper†for the mercury to rocket with the potential for summer weather records dating back to 1910 to tumble.

"We are looking at an extreme summer. May is set to light the blue touch paper for some very decent weather

Jonathan Powell, forecaster for Vantage Weather Services"

What is Jonathan Powell an expert in, exactly? It isn't meteorolgy that's for sure!

So it's official, this summer will suck, as the exact opposite of what the Daily Express forecasts, always happens!

Edited by lassie23
  • Like 3

Posted

120 DAYS OF HOT SUNSHINE: Britain set to bask in longest summer since 1910 say forecasters THE WHOLE of Britain is about to roast in a scorching FOUR-MONTH super-summer with temperatures hitting 100F within weeks experts say. THE ENTIRE COUNTRY is heading for the hottest summer in HISTORY - one that will put even last year's sizzling heatwave in the shade.

Early long-range weather models predict scorching temperatures and wall-to-wall sunshine will arrive in May and hold out until the end of August.

Forecasters said late spring will “light the blue touch paper†for the mercury to rocket with the potential for summer weather records dating back to 1910 to tumble.

"We are looking at an extreme summer. May is set to light the blue touch paper for some very decent weather

Jonathan Powell, forecaster for Vantage Weather Services"

What is Jonathan Powell and expert in, exactly? It isn't meteorolgy that's for sure!

So it's official, this summer will suck, as the exact opposite of what the Daily Express forecasts, always happens!

Don't they ever learn?????????

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Don't they ever learn?????????

After their 100 days of snow failed to materialize this winter, you would think that they would keep it zipped, but no, instead they continue to print s...! They also claim that their winter forecast was correct, they just got the precipitation wrong and it was rain instead of snow. What the....?Posted Image

• Like 1