Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 13/03/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any weather

Just back from putting to sleep the second of our lovely cats. He had a lovely afternoon in the sunshine. We had to put the first one down on Monday which left us both distraught then today has the left the other half inconsolable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snow and a good Thunder & Lightening

Hi All, hope all is well.

Can anyone give a home to some frogspawn in the Leighton Buzzard area ?

Garden pond idealy, our pond has been overtaken by the stuff this year and

we had over 80 clumps on the last count.

Sorry if a bit random Posted Image

Shotski

Hello Shotski, I too have massive amounts of spawn this year.  On doing some research, the consensus is, leave well alone, you can never have enough spawn. It is a survival/balance thing.   Spawn can be clumps of up to 2000 potential frogs, but on balance, only 5 of those will make it to adulthood.  Also, moving spawn from one pond to another can both spread plant and 'frog' viruses unwittingly.  

Sounds like your pond has the right environment and is the nearest in the vicinity, hence the deluge!  But, as with all nature, most of your spawn will become food for other predators in your pond and the few will move on.  Just my thoughts on it.

Weather - 'the fog' was with us all day, made me think of my humble meeting with Sir James Herbert just over a year ago, he was a gracious and witty gentleman who shared some intimate thoughts about his writing.  At college in the beautiful and historic Stanmer Park, it clung to the woodlands and was quite beautiful, if a little cold, as we wandered the site pruning species roses and put our backs into a bit of manual labour rotavating and double digging.  Glad the weekend is upon us!

Edited by Alixzandra
  • Like 5

Posted

I mentioned a week back that I went to the New Forest and some pics were taken of the ponies and countryside. Well, fwiw, here a few of them as I have finally got them downloaded. ....................bobbi, in her stable waiting in vain for peppermintsPosted Image  (I had none to offer her)

i am so disappointed in you Tamara Posted Image ... fancy not taking peppermints with you! Posted Image

nice pics T :)

my doggie doesn't know how to take horses. i'm sure he thinks they are a bit bigger dogs than him, but why dont they bark? Posted Image

'ning all Posted Image

mild, but breeze picked up so i cant see any fog forming with the wind blowing. hoping sunday is as forecast so can watch my daughter playing footie in some sun for a change Posted Image

night night everyone Posted Image

Edited by MAF
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snow and a good Thunder & Lightening

Just back from putting to sleep the second of our lovely cats. He had a lovely afternoon in the sunshine. We had to put the first one down on Monday which left us both distraught then today has the left the other half inconsolable.

I'm so very sorry, I understand and know how painful that can be. Best wishes to you.

Posted

Hi All, hope all is well.

Can anyone give a home to some frogspawn in the Leighton Buzzard area ?

Garden pond idealy, our pond has been overtaken by the stuff this year and

we had over 80 clumps on the last count.

Sorry if a bit random Posted Image

Shotski

Shame you're not near me I'd love it. Loads of 'activity' in my pond but not a single piece of frogspawn yet. Usually have loads of it by now.

Looking forward to a nice sunny day tomorrow so I can pot on my tomato seedlings without the risk of putting my back out again. Might risk mowing the lawn too.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Sad news - really sorry you've had to put your second cat down :-( On the subject of pets I'd like to remind dog owners about the risk of Alibama Rot that I mentioned earlier in the week .....http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-26528114...the latest victim was a Jack Russell terrier who picked up the disease in the Salcey Forest area, 7 of the other affected dogs were from the New Forest area, cases have also been confirmed in Yorkshire, Monmouthshire, Dorset, Shropshire and Surrey.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

We didn't have much of a sunset here today, as there seemed to be a layer of cirrostratus near the horizon, which killed everything.

We've had a couple of 'dusty' looking ones here this week, due to cirrus and lots of contrails - whether low level pollution contributed to the look, I'm not sure, but do suspect it.

Not hugely colourful, but different; maybe the sort of sunset you might expect in a settled and warm spell in the Summer. Posted Image

Posted Image13-3-14a.JPGPosted Image13-3-14b.JPGPosted Image13-3-14c.JPGPosted Image13-3-14d.JPGPosted Image13-3-14e.png

They are fantastic photos... the first one of the portrait sunset one looks like a painting which my husband's uncle did - he was a Royal Academy artist. Aren't digital cameras great?

So sorry about your cats legrandfromage — we had to put down our little Bella who was only 10 months old a few months ago (she had a massive infection which couldn't be treated). Only consolation was we'd homed her last January, but she didn't get on with a dog and it wasn't a nice house with no garden, so we took her back again... at least she had a lovely summer last year playing in the garden with lots of sunbathing

Edited by Iceni
  • Like 2

Posted

Sensational photos, really top class keep them coming :)

Sorry to hear about your cats, this must be a very distressing time for you. However the fond memories will never leave you, if that is a scrape of comfort - i lost my goldfish when I was 4/5 and that hit me hard, wishing you well at this hard time.

The weather, same old. Have a nice weekend.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and no more than 25degC

I'm  so very sorry to hear your news Msr "LeGrandeFromage". Please also send hugs and best wishes to La Madame.xxxx

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Spring will be a sunny delight for Britain: Three months of warm weather on the way

BRITAIN will enjoy an amazing three months of warm weather with balmy conditions set to last until June, according to forecasters.

Long-range predictions suggest there will be above-average temperatures and plenty more sunshine in the run-up to summer.

It comes as the whole country basks in a glorious mini heatwave which could see the mercury hit 68F (20C) in the South this weekend.

Sun-lovers can look forward to another burst of summer-like conditions with the best temperatures likely to be tomorrow.

Although next week will be cooler, with even the chance of snow on high ground in the North, the rest of March will have plenty of sunshine.

The Met Office’s three-month forecast suggests temperatures above or near average. It’s all down to a weather pattern called the North Atlantic Oscillation which is expected to enter a positive phase allowing warm air to flood in.

Posted ImageI guess the Daily Express didn't have any health news or Diana stories to flog, so they printed this garbage instead.

Edited by lassie23
  • Like 1

Posted

Must mean snow is coming then after they said the winter of all winters was coming lol...not sure the heading is big enough though mate lol

Posted

Sorry about your sad news Legrandfromage, that's one of the reasons me and the wife have decided not to have pets once the kids moved out (hope that sounds ok, but I'm sure you know what I meant) plus we both work and enjoy our couple of weeks away, so really isn't fair on them, and having to have them put to sleep would I know devastate me, I would love a dog, but I think that's something for later.

Looks cloudy out, but dry, no fog, slight breeze. On of the reasons I worked from home yesterday, other than to catch up on my sleep :-) was my Audi had to have its second service, all excited as it was "free" a perk when I bought the car, great told them, got phone from call, from garage, went along the lines of, sir, your free service isn't free it will cost you a lot of money, me why?, because you didn't use your second free service within 25000, me, 2nd service isn't due to 37000 miles, them, no we know, that, the charge is £. Another reason chalked up to why I hate sales people. Shame its a great car, (A7) and was thinking of getting another soon, think I might start looking for another manufacturer now, but I know deep down that I will stay with Audi.

Off shopping, in a minute, then properly watch Geoff Stelling and dome football, followed by a nice meal tonight, decided to treat the old dear, so booked in at the coach and horses in Ruxley garden centre, looking forward to that, normally excellent food, at very unreasonable price.

Anyway hope you are well, and have a great day whatever you got planned.

• Like 3

Posted

Morning all!  It is cloudy here, but a warm 9.9c

Love the sunset photos, thank you.  Legrandefromage, I'm so sorry to hear about your cats.  It's sad losing a pet, but losing two so close together must be devastating. Posted Image

We plan to go to Steeple Morden today, it's a lovely Cambridgeshire village and we have been going there for years, ever since the girls were toddlers as the park is seldom used and there are lovely walks from the car park.  Hopefully my eldest will be up to it. Posted Image

Have a good day, SouthEastEastAnglians whatever you are doing. Posted Image

Edited by chilly milly
  • Like 4

Posted

Good morning all,

So sorry to read your sad news LGF. So upsetting.

Low level cloud diminishing fairly quickly this morning with no breeze.....another lovely day in the offing

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Morning all,

Looks like the weekend weather is set to be kind again - just a few hours work for me and then an extended weekend into the early part of next week for Mr P and myself - have a good one peeps we will be out and about enjoying the delights of spring here in MK  Posted Image

post-10773-0-94296500-1394873734_thumb.j

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Morning all

A mild, dry and cloudy day here, can see a light breeze moving through the trees.  Washing in progress ready to peg out a bit later.

Sorry to hear your loss LGF, pets are part of the family so understandable how you feel when they are gone.

Posted

Starting to brighten up here now, looking promising for the weekend overall weather wise for many of us, just might be a bit of a breeze at times.

Posted

Morning all

very odd thing this morning, I had a lie in, didn't wake up until 8.30, very unusual for me. my back aches from laying too long though, must be getting old.Posted Image

I did the same thing, managed till around 08:30 (then like you I find it starts to get a bit uncomfortable much longer than usual), not complaining as that is over 3 hours longer than any normal day for me.  I did try to stop up a bit later as it was the weekend, but energy fizzled out of me like it always does in the later evening.

Anyway, have finally stepped outside and the sun is out, we are into double digit temps already and feeling quite nice out whilst pegging out the washing, bit of a breeze mind, but that should only help in getting the washing dry a bit quicker :good:

Need to sort out a few other mini chores and then out to the library a bit later, it is nice to not have to layer up and keep a coat on for a change.

Hope your all able to and making the most of this fine weekend where possible :)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Morning all

very odd thing this morning, I had a lie in, didn't wake up until 8.30, very unusual for me. my back aches from laying too long though, must be getting old.Posted Image

Loved your sunset photo's Steve C, I think yours were probably taken about 15 mins after mine as I don't have a good view west, I have to make the most of what's there before the sun goes behind the trees. Think I might treat myself to a decent camera at some point, the colour and focus is so much more defined and sharp in your pictures, they look very professional. Posted Image

Hi Ian,

They weren't taken yesterday - the first four were from Thursday evening and the final one from last weekend. I actually nearly completely cocked up on Thursday too, as I left the most appropriate lens in my car and by the time I'd tracked back to retrieve it, the best time for photography was slightly past its best. Yesterday was a total non event here, with the Sun disappearing behind cirrostratus too early.

Reasonably pleasant here, with sunny intervals / spells and slightly breezy, but very acceptable for March. :)

Enjoy your weekend everyone! :)

• Like 4

Posted

Morning all

Not much to be done today, apart from the usual chores, oh and the south london derby. We could really do with some 3 points, going to be a tough game full of passion and prowess. it has got a little cloudier as the day has progressed, although at least its mild.

Fine day, make the most out of it :good:

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 2

Posted

Looking to get out to the local lakes tomorrow as some of you know, mainly to get more pictures, just checked my current archive for the last two years and I already have over 3k of material to work with, well a few more will not hurt :)

The day is turning out very nice here now, been pottering about in and out doing a few cleaning and tidying jobs, heating is firmly off now too, that should drop the electric bill by almost 50% in one go (last summer my total monthly energy usage was £30, that is for everything).

Sorted out the bins already too, I am getting waaaay ahead of myself chores wise, should mean plenty of down time later then :) even looks like I have finally sorted out a pesky carpet stain (must admit I have tried most products on the market to remove it, but looks like it has worked this time)

Doors and windows open letting a fantastic fresh breeze through the house too on the warm sunny and dry day.

Where does all this dust keep coming from though?

• Like 2

Posted

Goodbye to our two lovely cats - they always enjoyed the sunshine

Beautiful, remember them in fondness and keep the memory of them in the heart.

Edited by Jax
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Another unusually nice day here. In fact the sky is looking quite summery today with altocumulus resembling plume setups. Perhaps a slightly unstable atmosphere further up?

• Like 1

Posted

Right

I am going shopping (wish me luck), if I am not back by 17:00 ....errr wait longer then.

Edited by Jax
  • Like 2