Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

ND filter

Flipflop

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and stormy.

Hi, i was thinking in adding a ND4 or 8 filter onto my Tokina 11-16 for a more suitable f-stop (f8)ish during daytime lightning photography rather than hitting f32 @ 1/15s -1/8s ISO100 with out . I'm using a nero lightning trigger but i feel i may get a better lightning strike at f8 than  @ f32 but thats the best i can achieve unless im sat under a moody storm or its starting to get dark...Unsure..

Any advise would be great.

Posted

With a very wide lense like that you will struggle with a suitable holder for the square types that won't show in the shot.You can spend stupid amounts on filters and they often get very little use.This might be a good one for not too much, Haida seem to give very few colour balance problems but it would be surprising if there wasn't a need to adjust slightly in some light conditions.For some reason they are cheaper in Germany and you won't get any additional charge on items from the EU.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Haida-Slim-ND-Graufilter-Pro-II-MC-ND-0-6-4x-77-mm-/251311660293ND4 would probably be enough, the really dark ones are difficult to use as you usually can't even focus without taking it off.

• Like 1

Posted

The filter will only be used for daytime lightning or if i feel the need to stray, also focus wouldn't be an issue .. for my needs but yer i was thinking ND4 but with the tokina being so wide would i need to go more? 

Iv got a D7000 mounted with a tokina 11-16 if that helps!  iv done well in the past but not bang on.

Posted

Calculating the exposure is going to be a bit of trial and error but you should be able to get 15 seconds or more with the ND4 without stopping it right down (which is not always going to get the best from a lens)There are some phone apps e.g. ND Calc you could try, or no doubt you can get a guide in a printable form.Obviously when lightning is about it's rarely all that bright anyway!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Decided to get the Haida PRO II (PROII) MC Neutral Density Filter ND0.9 ND8 SLIM 77mm that should drop me into the ballpark of F8 with 3 stops to play with.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Sancerre.

Gents - I have taken some great night shots of lightning over the years (even back in the Ektachrome days) and do still use a bag full of DSLR kit but I have never tried to photograph daylight lighting - wouldn't know where to start. I have had a nosy at the Weather Photography section but can't see a starters / definitive thread - do you know of one? Thanks.

Posted

ITV if you search Google with "how to photograph daytime lighting" you will find many links :)

http://www.apogeephoto.com/mag4-6/mag4-6l_trigger.shtml

http://www.lightningphotography.com/tips.html

http://www.weatherscapes.com/techniques.php?cat=lightning&page=lightning

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Sancerre.

Thanks RR - I had assumed there would be something on NW, but will check these links out.