Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Malaysian Airline flight MH370

P3 Orion returns to base at Pearce after a full day of searching - still no sign of debris

post-10773-0-90077800-1395480093_thumb.j

This map, released by the Australian Maritime Safety Authority, show the area search crews have searched so far over the last few days.

post-10773-0-66556800-1395480125_thumb.j

It’s a huge area, measuring 36,000 square kilometres and conditions in the search zone have been far from ideal with thick fog and reduced visibility.

• Like 1
  • Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can we not make "funny" comments about this? It's not exactly appropriate.

OMFG the penny has just dropped. It's not India or Iran its only actually god dam N.A.R.N.I.A.Quick someone alert the authorities.

I'm very surprised you have missed the obvious flaw in your 'hypothesis'....the airliner depicted in the 'jungle image' is not a Boeing-777!......A 777 has two wing mounted engines, whereas the aircra

Posted Images

Just breaking in the past few minutes

The Chinese government has said it has located a large object in the sea after viewing satellite imagery. The object is thought to be 72ft long (22m) and 98ft wide (30m) and was spotted somewhere in the southern search corridor in the Indian Ocean.

because it was a night flight, it would be very difficult for the passengers to know which direction they were flying in and to get any bearings from the ground. during the day, some would realise that they were not where they should be as most of the flight should be over land. if they were still alive by the time dawn came, they would be out over the indian ocean and likely unable to get any phone signal. i doubt anyone would carry a satellite comms device with them !

Based on my own experience I think passengers had easy access to know where the plane was traveling to. Most international carriers have an inflight entertainment system, so passengers can choose what they want to watch, listen to, read, or even games they may want to play via their own individual screen in front of them: http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/au/en/mh-experience/select-in-flight-entertainment.html

I traveled back to Australia from the UK on Malaysia Airlines (2004) and the inflight entertainment system also has an option to follow the planes journey in real time, to destination.. ( Option if I remember correctly accessible via entertainment system's opening page of options )...So some passengers would have been aware of a diverted flight..unless it was intentionally switched off...or no one was alive to see what was going on Posted Image

I believe most airline carriers carry this nifty 'navigation' tool for passengers.

Edited by Styx

Based on my own experience I think passengers had easy access to know where the plane was traveling to. Most international carriers have an inflight entertainment system, so passengers can choose what they want to watch, listen to, read, or even games they may want to play via their own individual screen in front of them: http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/au/en/mh-experience/select-in-flight-entertainment.html

I traveled back to Australia from the UK on Malaysia Airlines (2004) and the inflight entertainment system also has an option to follow the planes journey in real time, to destination.. ( Option if I remember correctly accessible via entertainment system's opening page of options )...So some passengers would have been aware of a diverted flight..unless it was intentionally switched off...or no one was alive to see what was going on Posted Image

I believe most airline carriers carry this nifty 'navigation' tool for passengers.

styx, if the pilots did not want the passengers to know what route they were following, they would definitely disable that feature of the inflight entertainment. (assuming they were still alive as you say).

Prime Minister Tony Abbott had informed Australian Parliament that the task of locating the objects will be “extremely difficult†and may turn out to be not related to the search for flight MH370.

This was echoed by Hishammuddin today, saying a cyclone warning has been declared for Tropical Cyclone Gillian in the southern corridor, which will hamper the search and rescue (SAR) operation.

“Very strong winds and rough seas are expected there today,†he said.

Read more: http://www.fz.com/content/mh370-china-finds-satellite-images-floating-object-southern-corridor#ixzz2wglgnGle

So sad that everything is going against the search teams. What a complete nightmare..

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Prime Minister Tony Abbott had informed Australian Parliament that the task of locating the objects will be “extremely difficult†and may turn out to be not related to the search for flight MH370.

This was echoed by Hishammuddin today, saying a cyclone warning has been declared for Tropical Cyclone Gillian in the southern corridor, which will hamper the search and rescue (SAR) operation.

“Very strong winds and rough seas are expected there today,†he said.

Read more: http://www.fz.com/content/mh370-china-finds-satellite-images-floating-object-southern-corridor#ixzz2wglgnGle

So sad that everything is going against the search teams. What a complete nightmare..

Tony Abbott has copped some flak here for expressing too much confidence that Australian intelligence had "found the wreck".

Cyclone Gillian is of course several thousand kilometers away in the tropical belt which will have no effect at all on the south indian ocean search which is currently underway.

styx, if the pilots did not want the passengers to know what route they were following, they would definitely disable that feature of the inflight entertainment. (assuming they were still alive as you say).

True.

I think they would probably need to knock out the entire entertainment system network - but I'm just having a guess on that one, I'm no tech expert.

( No darn clue or lean to on what happened at all actually )

Edited by Styx

Missing jet WAS carrying highly flammable lithium batteries: CEO of Malaysian Airlines finally admits to dangerous cargo four days after denying it !

http://www.onenewspage.co.uk/n/Front+Page/750cnf25w/Missing-jet-WAS-carrying-highly-flammable-lithium-batteries.htm

Could be a probable cause - especially if toxic fumes were circulated from the hold to the cabin and flight deck causing the onset of unconsciousness - it would explain the change of course but I would have expected some kind of radio message to say what was happening and would not have expected the transponder to have been switched off - who knows? the effects may have caused the crew to act irrationally.

• Like 2

Tony Abbott has copped some flak here for expressing too much confidence that Australian intelligence had "found the wreck".

Cyclone Gillian is of course several thousand kilometers away in the tropical belt which will have no effect at all on the south indian ocean search which is currently underway.

I understand the Cyclone is miles away and im sure they are...But because of this strong winds and rough seas will hamper the search and rescue, im sure they are well aware that the Cyclone it is not directly over the search area.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Yes, there is no relationship between Cyclone Gillian and the rough seas currently being experienced in the primary search zone. I understand settled weather conditions will be around for a few days in the main search area as high pressure ridge extends through ( heard via ABC weather ),. That will bring good visibility,  make it easier to find the debris the Chinese and Australians have picked up on satellite. 

Yes, there is no relationship between Cyclone Gillian and the rough seas currently being experienced in the primary search zone. I understand settled weather conditions will be around for a few days in the main search area as high pressure ridge extends through ( heard via ABC weather ),. That will bring good visibility,  make it easier to find the debris the Chinese and Australians have picked up on satellite. 

No. Not currently in the search Zone.. but is effecting search vessels trying reach the search Zone from the South, so Cyclone Jillian is having an effect and slowing progress. And will certainly effect things over the next few days.

Mr Hussein earlier said that conditions in the search area are 'very challenging' with a tropical cyclone forecast to move in.

'In the area where the possible objects were identified there are strong currents and rough seas. A cyclone warning has been issued for tropical cyclone Gillian, there are rough seas and strong currents expected.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2586716/Search-flight-MH370-continue-indefinitely-says-Australia-warned-debris-sighting-false-lead.html#ixzz2wgwlnftq 

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Edited by Polar Maritime

Just breaking in the past few minutes

The Chinese government has said it has located a large object in the sea after viewing satellite imagery. The object is thought to be 72ft long (22m) and 98ft wide (30m) and was spotted somewhere in the southern search corridor in the Indian Ocean.

Yeah, again though 19th March, they seem to be getting nowhere, by now that image will be nowhere near there, if floating at all

yesterday heard weather was meant to be fine, now a warning of a cyclone? could that make debris either float or sink? as high winds move debris around, may even make finding debris easier when storm passed

Could be a probable cause - especially if toxic fumes were circulated from the hold to the cabin and flight deck causing the onset of unconsciousness - it would explain the change of course but I would have expected some kind of radio message to say what was happening and would not have expected the transponder to have been switched off - who knows? the effects may have caused the crew to act irrationally.

I'm not sure about irrationally or just following the procedure of aviation first, then navigation and lastly communication – maybe they just didn't get the chance to communicate or the means to send a message had already been disabled for some reason.  The strange behaviour of the aircraft could have been a hijack and I do personally feel that the plane was under some sort of duress, but equally it could have been an attempt to extinguish flames by gaining altitude – lets just hope they find some answers soon because those poor relatives have been to hell and back in the last couple of weeks !

The latest data from Imnarsat suggests the plane was moving away from their satellite up to the last ping recieved at 8.11am, which was around when the plane would have exhausted its fuel. The likely conclusion is that the plane flew on a fairly steady heading until it ran out of fuel and crashed violently, ending satellite communications. This rules out some theories such as the plane secretly landing somewhere or ditching earlier in the Ocean fairly intact. Sadly it also probably confirms that all on board are lost and the current main search area in the S Indian ocean is probably the place to look.

The evidence is consistent with the plane flying under autopilot with an incapacitated crew, most likely due to smoke and/or decompression. I don't know why hijackers or a suicidal pilot would fly the plane until fuel exhaustion into the middle of nowhere?

Two previous "ghost flights" doomed due to hypoxia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helios_Airways_Flight_522

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_South_Dakota_Learjet_crash

Missing jet WAS carrying highly flammable lithium batteries: CEO of Malaysian Airlines finally admits to dangerous cargo four days after denying it !

http://www.onenewspage.co.uk/n/Front+Page/750cnf25w/Missing-jet-WAS-carrying-highly-flammable-lithium-batteries.htm

I work for a freight company mainly dealing in the carriage of goods by air. Over the past few years the regulations for carrying lithium batteries have been significantly tightened. Only about 4 weeks ago I had to do my re-validation exam for carriage of dangerous goods by air and was issued with a 28 page IATA document specific to lithium batteries.

It's not the contents of the batteries that are flammable, in fact they are class 9 goods (miscellaneous), class 3 & 4 relate to flammable liquids and solids. It's the risk of over heating or short circuiting that make them hazardous. Some lithium batteries aslong as they are packaged correctly and are of low KWH and are below a certain amount of grams can be carried as non dangerous goods.

If it was batteries that caused a fire then perhaps they will only allowed to be carried on cargo aircraft only or even more extreme banned on aircraft all together.

it must have been some accident (smoke/no air supply) where the plane was on autopilot..

the hijack/terrorist theory is not realistic , why hijack a plane full of people then fly it towards Antarctica ?..its a bit pointless.

The latest data from Imnarsat suggests the plane was moving away from their satellite up to the last ping recieved at 8.11am, which was around when the plane would have exhausted its fuel. The likely conclusion is that the plane flew on a fairly steady heading until it ran out of fuel and crashed violently, ending satellite communications. This rules out some theories such as the plane secretly landing somewhere or ditching earlier in the Ocean fairly intact. Sadly it also probably confirms that all on board are lost and the current main search area in the S Indian ocean is probably the place to look.

The evidence is consistent with the plane flying under autopilot with an incapacitated crew, most likely due to smoke and/or decompression. I don't know why hijackers or a suicidal pilot would fly the plane until fuel exhaustion into the middle of nowhere?

Two previous "ghost flights" doomed due to hypoxia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helios_Airways_Flight_522

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_South_Dakota_Learjet_crash

There is also the possibility of toxic fumes leaking from the engines into the air conditioning system of the aircraft - there has been world wide concern about this but only a few airlines appear to have taken any action to prevent it. http://toxicfreeairlines.com/

Another point which I could raise is that I see no reason why, 1) The readings from the 'black boxes' are automatically relayed to a reception centre in real time during flight, so even if the aircraft is irretrievably lost the information gathered during flight would still be available and it would help as far as giving a fairly accurate indication to start a search an rescue operation. I would think that this would be quite feasible from the technical point of view - the signals could be related via satellites where necessary and the cost divided by all the airlines and aircraft would not add to that much in the big scheme of things.

Then 2) added to this there could be ongoing supervision of the flight crews' vital functions during flight, so that if the crew did become incapacitated then control of the aircraft could be taken over from the ground in much the same way as a drone is subject to the necessary equipment being installed.

If such a system were to be implemented it would first of all be able to pinpoint more accurately the site of a crash and if the problems of this flight were caused through aerotoxic fumes and/or lack of oxygen the lives of the passengers and crew should have been saved together with a valuable aircraft.

Though these situations are very rare it seems to me that the more we can do to improve flight safety the better.

Edit:

However such a scheme would need to have almost* fool proof security for without it may be a comparatively easy task to take control of an aircraft in the air and perpetrate another 9/11 without the bad men even having to become martyrs. But it is probable that such a security system could be designed where it would be much more difficult for the bad 'uns to take control than for example to use brute force whilst in the air.  

*nothing is absolutely fool proof - with enough patience, time and ingenuity all systems can be got round but the purpose is to make it as difficult as possible so as to make it impracticable to even try.  

Edited by mike Meehan

but there is not universal surveillance otherwise it wouldn't have been lost. it is the fake edifice of 21st century living and technology,

its just an illusion people have because they can post pictures of a cup of tea on facebook and someone on the otherside of the planet will "like"

and say "mmm, make one 4 me wud u". etc, etc..

Edited by chubbyfan
  • Like 1

As you are all aware, there are many, many conspiracy theories floating around the web, but when it comes to alien abductions, I am afraid I just switch off! Don't worry, the following theory has nothing to do with aliens! This one caught my interest however because there are a few things that I have been thinking about that have bothered me.

1. I have always believed that the Diego Garcia base was involved at some point.

2, There is absolutely no way that anything going anywhere within the southern hemisphere is not tracked by them. It can

only be assumed therefore, that the American's denial of any knowledge of the plane is a lie.

3. Don't ask me why, but I believe the Maldive fisherman's' story that they did indeed see a white plane flying low over their

island. They are simple people. Why would they lie?

4. It has also been reported in the media that two Navy Seals were found dead under suspicious circumstances.

Can anyone remember, way back at the beginning, when Boeing revealed that the engine signals were still being received was it 7hrs? after the plane went missing and they thought then that the final ping came from the Diego Garcia area? Funnily enough, boeing then went quiet and said that they did not want to interfere with the investigation. When Boeing surfaced again, their story had changed to there was no way of knowing a plane's location from the signals, only that it was still flying. Maybe Boeing had a talking to?

Anyway, here is the link to a voice video. It isn't professionally presented by any means. The narrator is reading an article that he found and for the life of me I cannot seem to pick up who wrote it.(MSS?) Anyway, have a listen and see what you think:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBikieSpvOY

Having listened to it again, as it is quite complicated, the fact that the GRU (Russian Military Intelligence) picked up on it, then maybe it is just finger pointing propaganda within the current climate - who knows. Not sure either if the narrator mentioned Sorcha Fael? If he did, then forget it.

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

1. I have always believed that the Diego Garcia base was involved at some point.2, There is absolutely no way that anything going anywhere within the southern hemisphere is not tracked by them. 

anywhere in the SH ? 

the only thing that this episode has shown is the apparent lack of coverage in military radar.  the slowness of  various governments to come forward and state their position in this regard illustrates that they have no confidence in their systems. to say that the plane did not come across  their airspace and then have any investigation prove otherwise would show this.  we finally have them making these statements once there have been two satellite sightings of debris from separate sources. 

anywhere in the SH ?  the only thing that this episode has shown is the apparent lack of coverage in military radar.  the slowness of  various governments to come forward and state their position in this regard illustrates that they have no confidence in their systems. to say that the plane did not come across  their airspace and then have any investigation prove otherwise would show this.  we finally have them making these statements once there have been two satellite sightings of debris from separate sources.

I think the one thing that is now clear is the lack of radar coverage away from land, my initial thoughts were if it moved it was tracked but clearly not.

Like anyone wasn't going to notice they had the same legs and feet - I shouted that out loud when they showed the photos on the TV !!

post-10773-0-89280500-1395576014_thumb.j

CCTV footage of the two men who boarded flight MH370 with stolen passports may have been deliberately doctored, it was feared last night.

A video still released by Malaysian officials three days after the jet vanished shows both men - who some sources claim are Iranian asylum-seekers - have the same set of legs.

In the CCTV image, their faces, T-shirts and bags are different.

But their green trousers and brown shoes are identical and their feet are in the same position.

A Twitter user posted: "They both have the same legs, edited or coincidence? and you guys still believe our gov is not hiding anything."

Malaysian police admitted the video still of one man had been placed on top of the other when they were photocopied but insisted: "It was not done with malice or to mislead."

Chinese media claim Malaysia is deliberately withholding information about the men.

Edited by MKsnowangel