Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Out of the woods yet as far as snowfall in the north of the UK yet?

Posted

With not only winter tyres but Canadian snow tyres fitted to the 4x4, out in the high peak area of Derbyshire, I was prepared for as much snow as could be thrown at me. Well not me personally.

With very little in the way of snow this year am I out of the woods yet in terms of snowfall?

If I get through the rest of this month it may be time to put normal tyres back on.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Steve. Buxton. UK.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Welcome to Net Weather, Steve.

I'd certainly leave your snow tyres on until the end of the month, although the current charts aren't showing anything remotely wintry.

You don't say whether or not you've lived in the Peak District all your life ( I suspect not from your post ) but some of the largest snowfalls in this area have occurred during March and April. Last March is a prime example when some major roads over the high ground were closed for several days at the end of the month and many minor roads were closed for over a week.

It's probably not worth leaving your winter tyres on throughout April unless something spectacularly unusual occurs; it has happened before though. in April 1981 when almost 60cm  (two feet) of level snow fell from  the 24th-26th and there were drifts of 4-6 mts quite widely above about 280 m.

Short lived April snowfalls are quite common in the Peak and if you have to set out early in the morning it doesn't matter whether it's January or April if there's 10cm of snow on the road.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

How is it you have 8 'likes'? only 1 post

Through pictures he has uploaded in the gallery :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Thought the UK was never in the woods this winter?

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

What T.M said.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Remember winter tyres aren't purely for snow.  They're recommended for below 7C, especially in wet conditions.

I tend to be out & about in the car in mornings and evenings and it's rarely been above 7C all winter, so I'll be keeping my winters on a wee bit longer.  I normally take them off well into April unless the weather does something seriously weird.......but how often does THAT happen?  :winky:

Edited by Scotster

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Remember winter tyres aren't purely for snow.  They're recommended for below 7C, especially in wet conditions.

I tend to be out & about in the car in mornings and evenings and it's rarely been above 7C all winter, so I'll be keeping my winters on a wee bit longer.  I normally take them off well into April unless the weather does something seriously weird.......but how often does THAT happen?  Posted Image

i have never put winter tyres on my car... all season tyres do just fine and i live in Calgary.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

I don't think winter tyres have been needed this winter although Derbyshire council haven't been very good on gritting this year and certainly have cut back in this area. So I have driven on black ice a few times this winter early on. If it had been colder I may have considered them.